Factory fill interval

Status
Not open for further replies.
Again... any schedule has to have some allowable variation. I'd seriously go talk to the service manager and say, "Is 10 days for your convenience really enough to cost you all of the service my vehicle will ever get? Because if you're going to split hairs when I just bought a new vehicle, then I'm not sure I trust my vehicle to you."

For reference, my mom bought a new Subaru Forester last year. The dealer did not advertise any free maintenance with the deal even though she bought the 100k warranty. When she got to 3k, I called the service manager and asked if they would change the oil for free. He said it's not a typical thing, but they would happily do it to build the dealer-customer relationship, and perform a quick inspection of the vehicle to make sure everything was still looking good. A $70 freebie Subaru OEM 0W20 oil and filter change (which probably cost them $15 total) just tickled my mom pink and helped the dealership start laying a foundation to keep her as a repeat customer for new cars and service for the rest of her life, the value of which far exceeds anything they may have lost from a free oil change.

IMHO any service department that doesn't recognize that it's the CUSTOMER that keeps them in business deserves to lose them. I don't shop based on price alone anymore for literally everything I buy... I buy based on the effort the business is willing to put into the relationship and the service... I'm willing to pay a reasonable amount more to a business that cares about what I care about, whatever their product.

Originally Posted By: philipp10
Oh those dangerous wear metals.....somehow they magically go around the filter every time they pass by...

I Agree Phil!
Engine parts are much more precise these days, being digitally cut. There's very little metal running around that brand new engine today. With all the factory cameras, nobody's taking a leak in that engine anymore too.

I don't blame the dealer for not doing that early oil change. They Probably get those-type requests often and choose to keep closer to the odometer vest.

That's smart business. Offer free service and parts where specified on paper, not 60-70% prior scheduled time. If you want an early oil change for that trip, it's on your dime buddy.

Originally Posted By: zerosoma
I should clarify, the dealership is offering FREE oil changes for 2 years on the vehicle, but only at schedule d times. I could pay for it if I wanted.

That's exactly what I would do. It's worth it for the peace of mind.

The Toyota free maintenance program is done by the dealers but paid for by Toyota Motors, much like warranty work. The dealers have to follow the schedule as laid out by Toyota or they will not be reimbursed for the service.

The OP is due for the 5,000 mile service which is just a tire rotation and vehicle inspection.

The overwhelming majority of Toyotas on the road are doing 10,000 mile oil changes with no ill effects. The car will be fine.

However, I think you should change it because it is a stressing you out. Life is short, spend it happy.
smile.gif

If you were asking about your free ToyotaCare service at the dealer, well I got some news for you. At 5,000 miles they will NOT change the oil. They will do the normal multi point inspections and rotate the tires. Oil is only changed at either 1 year/10,000 miles. In reality, the free ToyotaCare only gives 2 free oil changes. I have noticed there are still plenty of old timers on here that say change the factory fill out long before the recommended OCI. I got a vehicle like yours, only a 2017, got new last July and still on the factory fill at 8900 miles. I would find a Toyota dealer along your travel at 5000 miles, and get them to do your 5000 mile service. That way, you will know everything is good, tires are rotated and its all free. Just think of it as a free checkup on your trip.

Last edited:
I'm thinking that simply dumping the oil and leaving the original filter is a good way to go.
1) You get the "peace of mind" before your Florida trip-have a great time, by the way.
2) You get to see the oil as you would transmission fluid. If it's really black and smelly or contains sparkly bits, it's better to discover sooner than later.
3) Is everyone sure ANY Toyota dealer will do one of these two "free oil changes"? Could the payment from Toyota be linked to the selling dealership?

Originally Posted By: Kira

3) Is everyone sure ANY Toyota dealer will do one of these two "free oil changes"? Could the payment from Toyota be linked to the selling dealership?

Here is link to Toyota Care, in case you like to see it. https://www.toyota.com/owners/parts-serv...mp;gclsrc=aw.ds

I really would not understand why Toyota would do that. Someone could move while there ToyotaCare is still unexpired. Part of ToyotaCare includes Roadside assistance which has to be done by any dealer, so I really wouldn't know why Toyota would set up the maintenance any different. Also, I doubt dealers could get compensation for an oil change too early on either.

The sevice is handled like warranty. Any authorized dealer can perform the service, but has to be within 1 month or 1,000 miles (don't quote me) of when the service is due. All of your service history is in the Dealer Daily system.

I'm a mechanic, not an advisor so not 100% on how it is exactly handled, but I can pull up when the services have been performed on my end.

Originally Posted By: Triple_Se7en
Originally Posted By: philipp10
Oh those dangerous wear metals.....somehow they magically go around the filter every time they pass by...

I Agree Phil!
Engine parts are much more precise these days, being digitally cut. There's very little metal running around that brand new engine today. With all the factory cameras, nobody's taking a leak in that engine anymore too.

Yeah but it's a Toyota, and everyone knows Toyota prefers flow over filtration.

28.gif

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Originally Posted By: PimTac
You are going to get answers both ways. For me personally, I would have changed it outcat around the 1k mark.

+1 Me too or even sooner.
wink.gif

And me even sooner than that.
lol.gif

Well everybody I picked up a 5 quart jug of supertech 0w 20 full synthetic for $15. Very cheap insurance and good peace of mind. It's draining as we speak. The silly metal Crush Washer stuck to the drain pan though. So I'm going to pry that off and add some lubrication and stick it to the drain pan bolt.

I'm thinking that simply dumping the oil and leaving the original filter is a good way to go.
1) You get the "peace of mind" before your Florida trip-have a great time, by the way.
2) You get to see the oil as you would transmission fluid. If it's really black and smelly or contains sparkly bits, it's better to discover sooner than later.

It seems like a blonde coffee color.

Under usual circumstances this would be just fine but I've never owned a brand new car and/or drained the factory fill before. Normal?

Not seeing any metal shiny parts or flakes.

Thanks all. I can always count on you guys to geek out with me!

Well everybody I picked up a 5 quart jug of supertech 0w 20 full synthetic for $15. Very cheap insurance and good peace of mind.

Under usual circumstances this would be just fine but I've never owned a brand new car and/or drained the factory fill before. Normal?

When I checked my oil at 2000 and 4000 miles, it was the same color. So it should be normal. Mine has since darkened.

Last edited:
Well everybody I picked up a 5 quart jug of supertech 0w 20 full synthetic for $15. Very cheap insurance and good peace of mind. It's draining as we speak. The silly metal Crush Washer stuck to the drain pan though. So I'm going to pry that off and add some lubrication and stick it to the drain pan bolt.

I just drained the FF from the Pilot with 2500 miles on it and it was black as night.

I changed the factory fill in my Corvette at 1100 miles and then did a second oil change at 3000 miles so I think you know my answer here
smile.gif

I changed the ff in my sons elantra at 250 miles. Changed the ff in our cx-5 at 400 miles and again at about 1900 miles

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back