Factory Fill - 50,744 miles - 2006 MINI Cooper S

Status
Not open for further replies.

mph

MINI-Trans-Oil-Analysis-20090428.png

This is the factory fill (presumably BMW MTF 94, the recommended fluid). The 6-speed Getrag manual transmission is equipped with the optional LSD. The manufacturer claims that the transmission oil is a "lifetime" fluid, which I suppose is true if you decide the vehicle's lifetime is over when the transmission dies.

I changed the fluid with Redline MTL. Shifting feel is unchanged or very slightly notchier (at least in the warm weather we've had since changing it). I'm inclined to go back to the BMW fluid next time. This just isn't a transmission that feels great to shift (compared to, say, a Miata).

Originally Posted By: SubLGT
This transaxle only holds 1.5 quarts?

Roger that, per the specs, and that's all we got in before it started coming out the fill hole. I've read that there were some pretty serious constraints on the size of the transaxle, due to the less-than-spacious engine compartment.

The rear diff on my '05 Subaru holds only 0.8 quarts, and I thought that was meager. But the transaxle holds 3.8 quarts.

Using the sus to cst converter(neptune/spacebears), the visc is 5.43cst. Redline MTL is almost twice as thick. I would probably give Torco MTF or Royalpurple Synchromax a try. Amsoils MTF is also a point thinner then the Redline.

Once the Redline shears a little, shift quality should improve.

UOAs like this is why I like getting the factory fill out early(remove debris) and why I never let a gearbox go over 30k or 3yrs without a change.

A VOA on the MTF94 is needed for comparison.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back