Factory dash cam?

Status
Not open for further replies.
its more common now to put a dash cam in the car these days. i have not seen any factory dash cams though. a few companies use cameras for some safety features, honda and subaru are 2.

So i wonder how easy it would be to adapt those the cameras to become dash cams also. i also am curious if manufacturers have any plans to make dash cams as standard on vehicles

There would be no kind of memory storage for current vehicles. However, I do see the dash am becoming as common as rear cameras are now. Just a matter of time.

Tesla uses the camera array for Autopilot as a security system in Sentry Mode and I think one of the software updates enables forward video.

The C7 Corvette did offer a "track performance recorder" - the front facing camera can capture video and infotainment system grabs data from the drivetrain and records your trackday. You had to install a SD card into the MyLink system and turn it on. GM should allow it to be used as a drive cam.

I've always wondered about this.

But I wonder if people would try to sue the car companies if a camera didn't record correctly, or if it didn't end up recording at all and an accident happened.

Sue for what?
You're not under legal obligation to have an operational camera and the car manufacture is not required to provide one.

I would expect the airbag controller to (be able to) save the last 5 seconds of video from before a crash from a front-facing camera just like it retains other information.

I'm confident their marketing and lawyers have already hemmed and hawed over the plusses and minusses of announcing/implementing such a system. Manufacturers want to shed liability from moron drivers that blame the car.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back