Facebook targets vulnerable kids

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
“We have opened an investigation to understand the process failure and improve our oversight. We will undertake disciplinary and other processes as appropriate,” a Facebook spokeswoman said in a statement sent to The Australian at the weekend.

This is corporate speak for "we will find out who leaked the information out and ensure they are punished appropriately."

The book of faces doesn't interest me.

Our class used it for a reunion notification. Thereafter we use the email addresses we collected. I wouldn't give Zuckerstein a dime.

Originally Posted By: Shannow
Originally Posted By: JHZR2
And I'm sure that gmail scours the words used in emails coming and going to sell advertising to users and Google searchers.... Ditto search engine searches. Doubtful that kids who are down, are only showing it on FB. Are texts secure, particularly on android, or does Google look at them to sell ads too?

Sharing within a group isn't selling....regardless of who funds it according to some....

Doesn't matter whether kids that are down "only show it on FB(tm)"...when facebook are exploiting that knowledge like a schoolyard bully to achieve a beneficial outcome to themselves, does it ???

I didn't advocate for any of it, did I? I simply placed an assumption in prose... that social engineering based upon personal data and algorithms that shed insight into people is commonplace. I have high doubts that FB is the only place.

And parenting is key. If there's concern that this is happening, one's kids should be banned from FB, and the kids should be respectful of their parents. Simple as that, right?!?

Facebook, Google, Roku, et al. They're insidious. Ain't nothing free brother. What "payment" are they extracting from you? [/quote]

Exactly. Search engines, "free" email, etc all comes at some price.

Originally Posted By: Garak
Can't they just market cigarettes to them like the old days?
wink.gif

I loved those old tobacco ads on TV, made me want to light one up right away!
So, would you walk a mile for a Camel?

Social media is the new generation's "drug" ... which can be just as detrimental.

Quite true indeed Zee0six. My concern over FB and other "social" media is that it leads to a great self aggrandizement that is quite unhealthy. What I think, what I did, what I said, how I feel about... I..I...I..I... that's why I stopped going on that stuff. Way too much focus on I. How about we or us or you?? I enjoy learning from others and learning about other people as well.

Originally Posted By: BalticBob
wink.gif

Marlboro Country.... the horses and the cowboys.... imagine seen them from 5,000 miles away.....
(still didn't smoke! i hate the smell (i was the only non smoker in a smokers office:I HATE GORILLA [censored]!))

I use it for communication around my ski buddy group and also a local tag line sale(affluent town) where people just want to get rid of stuff mostly and not overcharge.

I do not unfollow anyone but idiots who post political memes or speak of either party I simply hide their posts from my feed. I add a person as "friend" as they still are a contact and relation worth having.

Also anything religious outside a holiday gets hidden from my feed.

Originally Posted By: Al
People who hate FB or have "cancelled" their account have never used it..bet on it.

I had Facebook, deleted the account for over 7 years now. Best thing I ever did. And I did use it. I just couldn't stand the constant attention seekers in my generation (I'm 26). I don't have instagram or twitter either. Just snapchat for a few close friends.

It has helped relationships as well. Women find you more intriguing when they can't look up your whole life online.
wink.gif

I think it's more accurate to say that the internet targets vulnerable kids because even without the algorithmic manipulation you're still getting an overly narcissistic and judgemental experience in many quarters of the social media realm and elsewhere. As a former angry young man-type, I doubt I would've given three effs as a teenager what someone who I didn't know thought about what I did or what I was. Unfortunately, this is now so interwoven in everyday existence for kids you HAVE to be concerned about your presence if you use FB or similar.

Several years ago before it was illegal in California, I was asked for my Facebook username and password as part of a job interview. I was a two-part pariah in that I didn't have ( or want ) a Facebook account and thus I didn't have any drunken pictures or political memes for them to critique and use in their decision. Being asked to provide that would be enough to cancel my FB account if I had one.

Originally Posted By: pandus13
wink.gif

Marlboro Country.... the horses and the cowboys.... imagine seen them from 5,000 miles away.....
(still didn't smoke! i hate the smell (i was the only non smoker in a smokers office:I HATE GORILLA [censored]!))

I never used any type of tobacco, and I hate to be around the filthy stuff, but the TV ads were so enticing.......remember the Virginia Slim ads? some cool and chic woman, puffing away, stinking up her clothes, kiss like a ash tray.......yuck

best I remember, the "Marlboro Man" cowboy actor died years later of throat cancer ..... sad, so sad.

if dip and chew tobacco tastes so good, why is it spit out?
sick.gif

Originally Posted By: Al
People who hate FB or have "cancelled" their account have never used it..bet on it.

People who hate cocaine (FB) or have "cancelled" their dope dealer (account) have never used it. FB is just another social drug......bet on it.

crazy.gif

People who hate cocaine (FB) or have "cancelled" their dope dealer (account) have never used it. FB is just another social drug......bet on it.

So where have you been the last four months? Vacation?

if dip and chew tobacco tastes so good, why is it spit out?
sick.gif

Chew is fine, though I quit years ago due to the cost. As for marketing to children, we know we're in a PC world when Popeye Cigarettes and Big League Chew have to be rebranded.
wink.gif

Parents should recognize Facebook for what it is.
Facebook is no more than a barely monitored commons intended to vacuum up user information with which it can sell targeted advertisements.
It may do more harm than good, not that that matters to those who have profited handsomely from its debut and growth.
At least in my world, Facebook is mostly a female and young person's thing.
I'm not a user, nor is my wife.
Facebook targets vulnerable kids?
Facebook shamelessly targets every user from whom it might be able to make a buck.
Nothing is free.
The time might be ripe for a more private pay version of something like Facebook.
All the connections with none of the intrusions in one's life.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27

At least in my world, Facebook is mostly a female and young person's thing.
I'm not a user, nor is my wife.

Pretty much disagree. I am 71 and half my classmates that are computer literate are on FB the majoriy of the friends I keep in touch from work are also on..in both cases ..men and women. The reason many older folks are not on is they are computer challenged.

Obviously many teens are on and younger folks. Probably in the "younger folks" catagory..majority are female.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
Social media is the new generation's "drug" ... which can be just as detrimental.

Most kids are zombies on social media.

What's worse is when adults constantly 'one up' the others on Facebook.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back