Facebook targets vulnerable kids

Status
Not open for further replies.
with advertisements designed to play on their emotional state...

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/business...e42e-1493673685

Quote:
Facebook is using sophisticated algorithms to identify and exploit Australians as young as 14, by allowing advertisers to target them at their most vulnerable, including when they feel “worthless” and “insecure”, secret internal documents reveal.

A 23-page Facebook document seen by The Australian marked “Confidential: Internal Only” and dated 2017, outlines how the social network can target “moments when young people need a confidence boost” in pinpoint detail.

By monitoring posts, pictures, interactions and internet activity in real-time, Facebook can work out when young people feel “stressed”, “defeated”, “overwhelmed”, “anxious”, “nervous”, “stupid”, “silly”, “useless”, and a “failure”, the document states.

After being contacted by The Australian, Facebook issued an apology, and said it had opened an investigation, admitting it was wrong to target young children in this way.

“We have opened an investigation to understand the process failure and improve our oversight. We will undertake disciplinary and other processes as appropriate,” a Facebook spokeswoman said in a statement sent to The Australian at the weekend.

Quote:
The engine that drives Facebook’s opaque ad sales system is built on algorithms — sets of complex instructions that Facebook’s engineers use to mine personal information about the preferences of a worldwide audience of 1.86 billion users.

Exactly how the ad sales system work is a closely guarded commercial secret.

News of the questionable sales tactics is the latest in a series of articles by The Australian about Facebook.

My posts must have convinced Facebook that I'm an utter moron, as all the ads I see on there are for the most useless, worthless things imaginable.

Originally Posted By: Virtus_Probi
My posts must have convinced Facebook that I'm an utter moron, as all the ads I see on there are for the most useless, worthless things imaginable.

Like Facebook itself, perhaps?

Wow, maybe there will be a boycott of Facebook....probably not since Mr. Zuckerberg is a lib....the old double standard is alive and well...

Originally Posted By: rshaw125
Just another reason not to go on Facebook

Just not for everyone. I keep in touch with my class of H.S.1964 Classmates and fellow retirees I worked with and know for 45 years.. You are free to hate it..to each his own.

Originally Posted By: ChevyBadger
I deleted my account. I could not take seeing people complain. That is all it is anymore.

I just unfollow them.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
Time for a survey. How may members here never go on Facebook?

+1
Better to do a poll who does and who doesn't.

I keep in touch with several people I never would have, were Facebook not available. After my grand parents passed I lost touch with one of my favorite people, my cousin. Because of Facebook we checked in on each other very so often, ended up making it hundreds to thousands of miles to each other's weddings and have hung out a couple of times besides, even though we live far from each other. Just one example.

Facebook is a tool. If you're dumb, careless or gullible you can get hurt. If you so choose, you can go your entire life without it, too; there are many other tools in the shed, after all. Like texting and all other technical/communications advances, there are pros and cons. None of it is black and white...

People with 1000's of BITOG posts, complaining about FB. Of course, there is value here, but none possible over there.

I use FB only to get photos of my niece who is 3500 miles away as the crow flies, and no, i don't expect her mother to email 50 people the exact same photos.

Last edited:
I love Facebook. Unlike this site there really is no taboos. If your sensitive and thin skinned you probably shouldn't go on Facebook.
I get to express my views, speak with friends and do in liberals which 5 have unfriended me since the election.
But really I like that you don't have to care about feelings. If you can't take the heat, just get out.
It's not for the meek.

Facebook, Google, Roku, et al. They're insidious. Ain't nothing free brother. What "payment" are they extracting from you?

"payment"? ..... privacy!
many complain about invasion of their privacy .....
govt. snoops, drones, black helicopters, democrats ....
then lay their whole life out there for all the world to see.....sad, so sad

It's called "social media" but it is and always will be about selling stuff. It is a good way to reconnect for those folks who grew up without it.
Once you make an account it never goes away, your info is stored forever which is why I'm always surprised with what people post!

There's value to FB for keeping up with people. It's just an easier media to do so in real time than calls, letters, or emails. Like anything, it can be exploited, and people can put too much info there. Hopefully parents would be keeping an eye on what their kids are putting on FB for the world to see, even if they're 14 or 18...

And I'm sure that gmail scours the words used in emails coming and going to sell advertising to users and Google searchers.... Ditto search engine searches. Doubtful that kids who are down, are only showing it on FB. Are texts secure, particularly on android, or does Google look at them to sell ads too?

Originally Posted By: ChevyBadger
I deleted my account. I could not take seeing people complain. That is all it is anymore.

+1, I deleted my account a few years ago. What a waste of time that site is.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
And I'm sure that gmail scours the words used in emails coming and going to sell advertising to users and Google searchers.... Ditto search engine searches. Doubtful that kids who are down, are only showing it on FB. Are texts secure, particularly on android, or does Google look at them to sell ads too?

Sharing within a group isn't selling....regardless of who funds it according to some....

Doesn't matter whether kids that are down "only show it on FB(tm)"...when facebook are exploiting that knowledge like a schoolyard bully to achieve a beneficial outcome to themselves, does it ???

Originally Posted By: JHZR2

And I'm sure that gmail scours the words used in emails coming and going to sell advertising to users and Google searchers.... Ditto search engine searches.

And now "smart TV's" are actually sending data from your home filing sharing back to an info gathering center:

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2066400/l...he-company.html
LG smart TVs send data about users' files and viewing habits to the company

http://doctorbeet.blogspot.com/2013/11/lg-smart-tvs-logging-usb-filenames-and.html
LG Smart TVs logging USB filenames and viewing info to LG servers

https://www.techdirt.com/articles/201311...sb-drives.shtml
LG Smart TV Caught Collecting Data On Files Stored On Connected USB Drives

Can't they just market cigarettes to them like the old days?
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back