Facebook Marketplace Messages are always in slow motion

I still have Microsoft Essentials working and occasionally run Maleware Bytes. I guess I'm not as concerned over security as some people. Heck, people still smoke, drive without seatbelts and text behind the wheel, all of which can be physically deadly, so using an older computer program isn't a major concern to me.
And those people routinely cause at least "inconvenience", usually "collective expense"; and at most "damage" or worse, to others.

Just checked again and with more tabs open (13) it's lower. Who knows? lol
I have 6 tabs open and the memory usage is about 2.6GB

gmail - when closed, about 200mb freed.
youtube - another 200-300mb freed
google maps - another 200mb - now down to about 2gb used.
fedex tracking - another 100-200mb
Facebook - about 500mb

With only this tab remaining, there is still 1.3gb of ram in use.

Chrome is a memory pig for sure.

I moved from Chrome to Edge early this year and for shiggles, I opened up the exact same 14 tabs on both edge and chrome on my work PC and Edge used ~200MB more than Chrome (~1.7GB.) But despite that, Edge works more fluently than Chrome did in the past 4 years. YMMV though and the real world feel is pretty minimal.

@atikovi have you tried to clear our the cache and cookies from your web browser? I don't think it'll help you but it's the only thing you can try. I will agree with everyone else that your severely outdated PC is the culprit first and foremost.

I moved from Chrome to Edge early this year and for shiggles, I opened up the exact same 14 tabs on both edge and chrome on my work PC and Edge used ~200MB more than Chrome (~1.7GB.) But despite that, Edge works more fluently than Chrome did in the past 4 years. YMMV though and the real world feel is pretty minimal.

@atikovi have you tried to clear our the cache and cookies from your web browser? I don't think it'll help you but it's the only thing you can try. I will agree with everyone else that your severely outdated PC is the culprit first and foremost.
Using more RAM ought to speed up an application, not slow it down. But what an application needs and how those resources are provisioned to it by the kernel can get very complex very quickly.

Edge and Chrome are both 99% Chromium; so the differences in function and performance will likely come down to one of several smaller factors. The one that occurs to me here is that Edge sandboxes ads and that might be why you have more active processes, and possibly why it's using more RAM. I wonder if Edge's tracking/ phone-home stuff consumes some resources that Chrome does not.

I know next to nothing about this stuff but I do know you can't talk to a person who doesn't know what they don't know. Fool's errand.

OP is convinced the problem is FB not his ancient machine.

It's not really a 10-year old machine anymore though.
How so? Upgrades have been additional memory and a SSD. Same motherboard, chipset, video, sound, etc... Its a 10 year old machine, runs Windows 10, fully updated. It is a 10 year old machine that runs Windows 10 well...

Laptop is a 9 year old tank of a Lenovo - same upgrades - SSD and memory. Does the same... Runs Windows 10 with no issues.

My pc has 16 GB RAM, plenty for any internet browsing tasks.
Brother, here is what we're looking at right now:

You: Hey, BITOG'ers, I have a 1980 Ford F250 that's slip-sliding all over the road now that winter is upon me. What is my municipality or state doing wrong with these roads?

BITOG: I am not sure it is the fault of the roads. How old are your tires?

You: They're original. 450k miles on 'em. Smooth as a baby's bottom.

BITOG: Dude, you have to get new tires! You cannot possibly expect this to function properly with an outdated browser whose JavaScript rendering engine can't possibly be up-to-date on today's demands and standards those tires!

You: People drive on old bald tires all the time.

BITOG: Yes, a LOT of fatal accidents happen because of it!

You: I have a 7.3L diesel. That is more than enough to get my truck from hither to thither.

BITOG: OK. Never mind and thanks for sorting that out.

---

I will say it again in case it wasn't clear: You do not need to throw money at anything. Your issues are not from deficient hardware. Update to a supported version of your operating system (10?) and for heaven's sake STOP using Internet Explorer, no exceptions. The alpha nerds here on this forum would be happy to help you update your OS and migrate your data from IE to Edge.

Brother, here is what we're looking at right now:

You: Hey, BITOG'ers, I have a 1980 Ford F250 that's slip-sliding all over the road now that winter is upon me. What is my municipality or state doing wrong with these roads?

BITOG: I am not sure it is the fault of the roads. How old are your tires?

You: They're original. 450k miles on 'em. Smooth as a baby's bottom.

BITOG: Dude, you have to get new tires! You cannot possibly expect this to function properly with an outdated browser whose JavaScript rendering engine can't possibly be up-to-date on today's demands and standards those tires!

You: People drive on old bald tires all the time.

BITOG: Yes, a LOT of fatal accidents happen because of it!

You: I have a 7.3L diesel. That is more than enough to get my truck from hither to thither.

BITOG: OK. Never mind and thanks for sorting that out.

---

I will say it again in case it wasn't clear: You do not need to throw money at anything. Your issues are not from deficient hardware. Update to a supported version of your operating system (10?) and for heaven's sake STOP using Internet Explorer, no exceptions. The alpha nerds here on this forum would be happy to help you update your OS and migrate your data from IE to Edge.
OK I will try the same thing on my laptop that has 10 on it and see if there is any difference between the two FB message formats.

...and you'll continue to post and ask why you have obscure, website-related issues. The issue will be the same, your outdated, insecure, unsupported OS and browser(s).
You have no idea what you're talking about. This has nothing to do with the OS and up until the past few days (ironic the timing of this topic), Chrome was receiving updates on Win7 to be every bit as modern as whatever you're running.

The problem is in fact, the code on Facebook. Probably a script tracking what atikovi writes, but there is something blocked so it's timing out over and over. Try relaunching Chrome without add-ons or use a clean testbed install (portable version) for testing.

It would be ridiculous to have to keep updating hardware and OS to merely type text on the internet, unless talking about a system so ancient that it has only 1GB memory and single core CPU. At the same time, if it were an economized 2GB system, you'd be greatly limited on how many tabs you had open.

Also, on my Win7 box running Chrome, I have no slowdowns nor security problems. You can PRETEND I have a problem but if it never affects me, then I don't really. Never have. When the day comes that I do, then that system gets upgraded too. It's been years since people were worried that the sky was falling if they didn't replace hardware and OS, but it just hasn't, period.

People in this topic are trying to use analogies that are completely irrelevant. This is a good example of why you don't ask this type of question on a motor oil/etc oriented forum, lol !!!!!!!

Only problem on that system was the last version of Chrome updates about 3 days ago, put up a nag screen that states no more updates due to Windows 7, every time you launch Chrome. That can be dismissed using a registry edit, make a text file like "getridofthiseffinbanner.reg" and put the following in it and merge it:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\Google\Chrome]
"SuppressUnsupportedOSWarning"=dword:00000001

Last edited:
FINALLY, a reply from someone that knows something about the issue instead of boilerplate bashing of W7 and their users.

Most of the replies in this topic are from professional IT folks. Bashing users who's still on an OS that's almost 2 years past EOL is deserved. Have you cleared out the cache and cookies from the browser and checking on an up-tp-date PC if FB Marketplace works fine?

Half the cars people here drive are 2 years or more past EOL, yet they don't get bashed.

Win10/11 can be downloaded and installed with a Win7 key for free. If somebody gave me an updated 2022 CX5 in exchange for my 2019, I'd take it up in a heartbeat.

It could be the coding with facebook, it could be your EOL Win7. It could be a random temporary glitch that nobody here would have thought about but regardless even if Chrome supported Win7 up until now there's so many other things that could be the culprit. If you were one of my users at work asking me about this, I'd tell you to get off Win7 and update before anything else.

You mentioned IE, Firefox, and Brave. Did you try them all?

Huh? You don't kill something that helps feed you. I dislike FB as much as the next guy, but it has it's usefulness.
Not sure what you sell but there are better platforms to sell stuff. Why even use something you don't like?

We killed our FB account and sure a few people were lost for a bit, but business remained the same. If not expanded.

Hey do what you want, because FB does what they want with your info.

I do FB, CL, Ebay and don't get paranoid over what any one of them does with my info. If people are so concerned over who is watching over their shoulders, they should throw away their computers and cell phones not to mention credit cards and bank accounts and live like it's the 19th century.

OK I will try the same thing on my laptop that has 10 on it and see if there is any difference between the two FB message formats.
That would be very, very helpful!

Trying to perform the same action using different machines, different browsers and even disabling the variety of plugins you may have on those browsers could help quite a bit. With each iteration of a variance of approach we will be able to rule something else out.

Back