F350 Dually brake job question

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am trying to do a brake job on a 2005 Ford F350 dually w/ four wheel drive. I am trying to fgure out how to remove the front brake rotors. I removed the caliper and bracket, the locking hub assembly, and I found four studs coming through the back side of the steering knuckle. I removed the four nuts and beat around a little, but so far nothing has come loose. I see a snap ring that holds the axle shaft into the end of the hub, but I have not removed that yet. Can anybody tell me if I'm opn the right track, or am I missing something? Thanks if you can help.

I have done a fair amount of brake jobs on cars and 2 wheel drive trucks. With that said the last time I helped do my Brother's F150 4 wheel drive front brakes, they were a real pain in the neck.

I would find a way to get a manual for it my self. May be somebody could give you some tips here.

Do you have the new rotors???? Look at them that will tell you how they come off. Those 4 bolts I think are for the wheel bearing, I don't think you have to take the hub off on them. I think they just come off, they are probably just rusted to the hub and a bunch of good solid whacks will get them off. But check the new rotors first.

Originally Posted By: firefighter
Do you have the new rotors???? Look at them that will tell you how they come off. Those 4 bolts I think are for the wheel bearing, I don't think you have to take the hub off on them. I think they just come off, they are probably just rusted to the hub and a bunch of good solid whacks will get them off. But check the new rotors first.

Yup. A 3 pound hammer and some convincing blows should pop it right off - and by "pop", I mean pop...

Napa notes this rotor is a loose fit on the hub and is held on by the lug nuts or by a set of machine screws. Do the new rotors have any place for machine screw fasteners (the pictures don't look like it). Time to get the BFH out and knock them off.

If you have any future problems or questions, here's a really good web site, with a Superduty forum The people on it are very helpful, and knowlegeable. I found out about this site there.

www.ford-trucks.com

If you are going to cut or reuse the old rotors, take it easy with beating.
Otherwise, beat them off!
A heavy hand sledge is great.
Make sure there are no hidden countersunk phillip or allen head screws holding it on. sometimes there are. I don't know about your particular vehicle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back