F1 Engine Video

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wonder what kind of oil they run in these that can stand up to such incredibly high temps and stresses- especially with the new rules where an engine has to last 2 races, it's amazing:

http://www.exbyte.net/media/videos/819/Awesome_F1_Engine_Fire_Up.html

Enjoy! (Make sure you have the speakers turned up
grin.gif
)

Pretty cool. I cranked up the sound in this class I'm in and freaked out the teacher.

Those guys standing close to that thing are nuts. If that engine happened to throw a valve or a rod at those rpms it could literally explode. I wouldn't even want to be in the same room with an engine being run like that.

quote:

Originally posted by G-Man II:
Those guys standing close to that thing are nuts. If that engine happened to throw a valve or a rod at those rpms it could literally explode. I wouldn't even want to be in the same room with an engine being run like that.

I agree! I was at a dyno shop when a 700 rwhp Supra lost a rod. The owner hit the nitrous at too low an rpm. There was still parts hitting the ground about 5 seconds after it grenaded. I dropped to the ground like it was Nam!

I loved the video, almost as good as the old Renault one which showed the injection fogging into the inlet trumpets.

Standing next to that is nothing.

Every working Day, I'm standing next to a few hundred tonnes of turbine spinning at 3000RPM. Around the world, these things have popped, and had 10 tonne sections found 2 miles away.

We had a failure in the last 5 years where pieces weighing 40lb, travelling at the speed of sound tried to escape. The 2" thick casings had 2" dents from the inside out.

quote:

Originally posted by Shannow:

Every working Day, I'm standing next to a few hundred tonnes of turbine spinning at 3000RPM. Around the world, these things have popped, and had 10 tonne sections found 2 miles away.

We had a failure in the last 5 years where pieces weighing 40lb, travelling at the speed of sound tried to escape. The 2" thick casings had 2" dents from the inside out.

I have pictures of a 600MW turbine that one of the low pressure blades [6ft length] broke off at 3000 rpm.
Crashed thru 4" steel casing, went through the roof 66' higher landed 250' past the parent building out into the yard.

Sheared a 20 inch shaft in two places.

N e 1 can Pm me if want to see powerpoint presentation on it. he he

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back