F1 - 2018 Italian Grand Prix

Status
Not open for further replies.
There was definite luck for Hamilton, yes. The luck could have swung the other way, and even worse. But, such is life.

As for Red Bull, yes, packaging has been suggested. Of course, Red Bull talks out of both sides of their mouth on the topic. They say that with respect to Honda, they won't have any of the issues that McLaren did with reliability, because they claim they'll modify their package however Honda asks, whereas they claim McLaren wouldn't do that with Honda.

Between Alonso, Zak Brown, Helmut Marko, Christian Horner, and Cyril Abiteboul, enough manure about engines, chassis, driving, and packaging is shovelled that they could turn the paddock into an organic farm.

Originally Posted by barryh
Kimi is a cool character. We'll miss him when he retires from F1

I won't, he has zero personality. He's very unlikable, IMO.

Originally Posted by Patman
I won't, he has zero personality. He's very unlikable, IMO.

What I do like about him is he doesn't get involved in the usual nonsense interviews that sports figures often do, with the usual platitudes of giving 110%, gushing about the team, all the usual rubbish we hear, not to mention pandering to the lightweight sports media, answering ridiculously rhetorical questions, or the same questions time and time again. He has a problem in a race, he says it plainly, "I spun." Someone asks an inane question, he won't bother responding.

If more sports figures took that approach, we'd have a lot of sports journalists that would actually have to put some effort into their jobs.

I guess my problem with him is that he shows no enthusiasm at all, even though he's driving in arguable the top racing series in the world. F1 needs more personalities like Daniel Ricciardo, who almost always looks like he's having immense fun (although this year has certainly been challenging for him!)

That is one of the things that does make people laugh, and even gets a few fans. If he's on the top step or crashed out in the first lap, his reaction is much the same. I do like Ricciardo's enthusiasm, but look out when the team does something he doesn't agree with. The false personality stuff can always get aggravating. Max ripped on Renault over the engine reliability on the Spa weekend, I believe it was, or maybe before the break, and then apologises for his language after. Why? He was right in the first place. He apologises for ripping on Renault for providing garbage, but has never made a mistake on track in his life?
wink.gif

Originally Posted by DeepFriar
Anyone heard where the Haas appeal stands? I haven't seen any in my searching.

I thought it looked like an open and shut case. The only wiggle room they might have had would have been in the administrative communication, but the FIA will never admit liability or be found liable, so I'd be very surprised if they made up any ground there.

It happens. They'll learn from it and move on.

Originally Posted by billt460
What happened with Haas?

There was a rule clarification with regards to some elements of the floor a while back. Teams were given a deadline of Monza to get it sorted. Haas asked for an extension and got no response from the FIA, so they assumed it was ok. It wasn't, and they got pinged for it after Renault made a complaint. They were disqualified.

Originally Posted by Brad_C
Originally Posted by billt460
What happened with Haas?

There was a rule clarification with regards to some elements of the floor a while back. Teams were given a deadline of Monza to get it sorted. Haas asked for an extension and got no response from the FIA, so they assumed it was ok. It wasn't, and they got pinged for it after Renault made a complaint. They were disqualified.

Thanks.

Originally Posted by DeepFriar
Anyone heard where the Haas appeal stands? I haven't seen any in my searching.

Gary Anderson figures it won't go anywhere. For one, they almost never do, and wind up being dropped before being heard, and secondly, he, at least, was on an appeal that went wrong and didn't relish the memory.

So what ever happened to the proposed changes to Monza's first chicane? Not happening now?

I'm not a big fan of changing classic race tracks (RIP old Hockenheim) but that chicane needs to go.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back