3. Aston Martin Red Bull Racing, 238
4. Renault Sport F1, 82
5. Haas, 76
6. Force India, 59
7. McLaren Renault, 52
8. Toro Rosso, 30
9. Alfa Romeo Sauber, 19
10. Racing Point Force India, 18

For more, including track data, analysis, and video please check out my full post on TOV Motorsports.

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by Garak
I'm waiting for the practice now. I think it would be nice if Seb can sometime this weekend update Ferrari's lap record here, even beating Montoya's footnote.
wink.gif

He'd need a functioning gerbox to do that. Maybe P2 will bring him more luck.

Apparently, that's just a practice gearbox, whatever that is, and will have nothing to do with grid penalties. In any event, a session without a bunch of rain would help, too!

after the McLaren "how many parts can we unwrap on a weekend to earn enough grid penalties to start in the next country" they changed the rules so that pretty much Friday is a free for all as far as parts go, so you can use whatever available bits you have on a Friday and not cop a penalty.

The race is dictated by whatever is in your car at the start of P3. As a result most of the teams use old or spare parts on a Friday to reduce the consequences on your race parts if you do a Verstappen. Engines seem to say in, but gearboxes are a lot faster to change and a lot easier to damage, so they seem to use "practice" parts where they can with ease.

At least for the most part, Ferrari and MB wise, engine reliability hasn't been so bad. As for Max, they need to find a place on the car to affix a broom and dustpan so he can help out after a crash. Vettel may have a chance at the lap record in quali tomorrow.

Once again the old man shows the kids how it's done.

"Raikkonen's lap, which was in excess of an average speed of 163mph, eclipsed the sport's quickest lap, set here by Juan Pablo Montoya for Williams, in 2004. At 38 years and 320 days Raikkonen is also the oldest pole sitter at an F1 race since 41-year-old Nigel Mansell started from the front at the 1994 Australian Grand Prix."

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport...-hamilton-ferrari-monza-f1-a8518396.html

SV on pole:
Team: "Seb, you are on pole."
SV: "Grazieragazzispagettibolognesequattrostagionitiamotuttifrutti!"

vs

KR on pole:
Team: "Kimi, you are on pole."
KR: "Thank you."

grin2.gif

Originally Posted by Finn
KR on pole:
Team: "Kimi, you are on pole."
KR: "Thank you."

Don't forget Alonso patting himself on the back for qualifying 13th. His best Q3 time was worse than his team mate's Q2 time. Great job, being half a second slower than a guy who's spending most of his time sending out CVs. If he survives the first lap, and that's a big if, he'll manufacture an excuse to retire if he's out of position for points. I'd wager money he won't finish the race if he's not in the points. I'm glad Magnussen said it - can't wait for him to retire.

As for Kimi, as nice as pole is for him, let's be realistic here. He hasn't exactly had stellar starts, and even if he does, he'll be moving over for Seb sooner or later. Unless something terrible happens to Vettel, the odds of Kimi winning the race are about as great as that for Stroll winning.

...... As for Kimi, as nice as pole is for him, let's be realistic here. He hasn't exactly had stellar starts, and even if he does, he'll be moving over for Seb sooner or later. Unless something terrible happens to Vettel, the odds of Kimi winning the race are about as great as that for Stroll winning.

While you are probably right, it's going to make a lot of people unhappy if they force him to do that. He earned that position, and his career is coming to a close. He doesn't have that many more chances to win like this. This is where the whole "team sport" of F1 stinks on ice.

Verstappen hasn't changed his ways. They need to pull that twerp into the pits and park him. They wouldn't let any other driver get away with weaving down the straights and braking zones, why are they letting him?

I was pulling for Kimi to win, and he put up a marvelous defense of 1st after his rear tires went off, but eventually he had to yield. The Ferrari engine must be making big power for Kimi to be able to stay ahead of Lewis in the DRS zones.

Kimi just shredded his tyres making sure he had a credible gap before Lewis' stop and then blocked by Bottas to finish them off. Gotta say a masterful strategy by Merc and just bad luck for Kimi. I was pulling for him too.

Another Verstappen move. Nothing new there. Another Ricciardo mechanical failure. Nothing new there.

Vettel needs to stop stuffing up if he wants a chance at making this happen. He's out-driving Hamilton, but Hamilton just makes fewer mistakes (as hard as that is for me to say as I'm not much of a fan of his).

Having said that, not a terribly boring race by any stretch. Hartley can not catch a break.

Last edited:
Another masterful race by Lewis!

Poor driving by Vettel again. At fault for his spin but protesting his innocence a la Max.

Looks like Mercedes still has the best cars. What the heck were those feather headed creatures on the grid and podium?
They were carrying plates that were not given as trophies or prizes. They did away with the grid girls but had some kind of
advertisement people standing on the grid like living billboards.
Where else but Italy could fans raise giant poles up to the podium with go-pros and cell phones? Baskets asking for hats?
Just have to love the Italian fans! Oh yeah, Vettel is just giving away this championship.

Originally Posted by Brad_C
Vettel needs to stop stuffing up if he wants a chance at making this happen. He's out-driving Hamilton, but Hamilton just makes fewer mistakes (as hard as that is for me to say as I'm not much of a fan of his).

With respect to the collision between Hamilton and Vettel, I wouldn't call Hamilton totally blameless in the little collision there. Brundle noted that normally that type of collision would have resulted in the outside person, Hamilton, spinning. It also has happened to Hamilton before. Trying an outside pass at a chicane (in this case) or a tight corner is rarely a good idea on the first lap, given the potential for understeer or cold brakes. Vettel was ahead of Hamilton, Hamilton made an outside pass, yes, left Vettel room, but Vettel still was ahead. The understeer happened, and Hamilton is extremely lucky he wasn't the one spun around, rather than the other way around. Considering it happened to him once this season already, I'm surprised he tried again. It just worked out well for him.

Now, Alonso is beginning to throw McLaren under the bus. It looks good on him and the team. They had no problem when he was throwing insults at Honda when things didn't go well, since it suited their position. Now, the insults are hitting McLaren. Alonso is such a wonderful team player. Once again, an early retirement allowed him to get on his high horse nice and early.

With respect to Max's silliness, at least Max got a penalty out of it, and it serves him right. He did well enough as it was; there's no need to be silly. That cost him two places over nothing.

Daniel and Kimi couldn't buy good luck if they tried.

With respect to the collision between Hamilton and Vettel, I wouldn't call Hamilton totally blameless in the little collision there.

No, I think he got away with it more due to luck, but it's another example of Vettel losing control of his vehicle and suffering the consequences.

With respect to Max's silliness, at least Max got a penalty out of it, and it serves him right. He did well enough as it was; there's no need to be silly. That cost him two places over nothing.

True. He was warned by Charlie after cutting the chicane the first time, so he was always lined up for a penalty if he failed to "keep it clean".

Daniel and Kimi couldn't buy good luck if they tried.

Kimi would have been in a better position with a viable team mate to help him out. Merc set a very effective trap and Ferrari played right into it.

As for Daniel, ~43% DNF. So he's only finished 8 races, but in those 8 he's always been in the top 5.

Between Dan & Max, they've got 10 DNF's (and we know they weren't necessarily all mechanical). Between Sainz and Hulk they have 5 DNF's (and they weren't all mechanical either).
Why is it Red Bull have more than double the mechanical failures than the team that supplies them? Packaging?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back