F-150 5.4 3V- Which Filter instead of Motorcraft?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by nthach
If I owned a Ford and didn't want to use OE, Wix has my vote just because the bypass is on the clean end.

Every 51372 Wix I've seen at work lately has had the bypass at the dome end. I think they quit putting them at the thread end on them. I've been through lots of them, we have lots of Crown Vic Cop cars and 5.4 F-250's and F-350's.

Ford recommends that the bypass be on the open end of the filter to prevent phaser knock at startup. I have used the 820s for 95% of the time on my 2008 King Ranch 5.4 3v. No issues running it, however, I admit that I have never cut one open. I bought them in bulk and have about 4 more to use. I have used clearance Puro One's and Puro Synthetic filters that are very good, however I did notice some noise at startup.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by 2012AccentSE
Ford recommends that the bypass be on the open end of the filter to prevent phaser knock at startup. I have used the 820s for 95% of the time on my 2008 King Ranch 5.4 3v. No issues running it, however, I admit that I have never cut one open. I bought them in bulk and have about 4 more to use. I have used clearance Puro One's and Puro Synthetic filters that are very good, however I did notice some noise at startup.

I thought the ADBV prevented this from happening? I've already bought some Wix filters, but may have to rethink that if they will cause phaser knock.

straight from my owners manual:

Change your engine oil and filter according to the appropriate schedule
listed in scheduled maintenance information.
Ford production and aftermarket (Motorcraft) oil filters are designed for
added engine protection and long life. If a replacement oil filter is used
that does not meet Ford material and design specifications, start-up
engine noises or knock may be experienced.
It is recommended you use the appropriate Motorcraft oil filter or
another with equivalent performance for your engine application.

I think there was an actual tsb as well on this issue, but I can't find it

Originally Posted by 2012AccentSE

I have never seen anything about that.

Of course they are going to recommend the motorcraft filter. Just as GM recommends ACDelco.

I have no phaser knock with any filter I have used, Champ and Wix filters with Combo valves as well as sever Fram.
And the engine I use them in is trashed (always a ton of metal in the filter).

Originally Posted by panthermike
For those who recommend OEM; I would absolutely run one normally and did put the MC on my brothers '07 for years. However, i wanted other options that 1. Aren't prone to tearing and 2. Don't cause startup rattle on these motors.

Linc, thanks for the TG suggestion as well. I tend to forget about those.

+1 on the TG rec. Really underrated filter because of the popularity the Ultras get.

We have been using a TG2 on the 2002 5.4 2v for years.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by 69Torino
Originally Posted by nthach
If I owned a Ford and didn't want to use OE, Wix has my vote just because the bypass is on the clean end.

Every 51372 Wix I've seen at work lately has had the bypass at the dome end. I think they quit putting them at the thread end on them. I've been through lots of them, we have lots of Crown Vic Cop cars and 5.4 F-250's and F-350's.

And for the longest time, Wix was proud to market the bypass valve on the "clean" end of the filter. Good to know, unless they're using a combo ADBV/BPV like they did on the SuperTech/ProTec lines.

I just installed a Wix 51372. They recently changed back to the bypass on the thread (clean) end - also was a white painted filter with "Mann Hummel" on it. This filter would be my recommendation.

I used Motorcraft with the occasional Wix for years, but switched to Wix or sometimes a Fram Tough Guard in the last 2 years.

Originally Posted by cmlind
I just installed a Wix 51372. They recently changed back to the bypass on the thread (clean) end - also was a white painted filter with "Mann Hummel" on it. This filter would be my recommendation.

I used Motorcraft with the occasional Wix for years, but switched to Wix or sometimes a Fram Tough Guard in the last 2 years.

Maybe I need to get my hands on a recent production 51372. The ones on the shelf at work are 6 months to a year old.

Originally Posted by ka9mnx
I've used OEM filters for the past 50 years. Haven't had a problem, yet.

You won't have one. Also if you used an aftermarket you would not have issues.

I use the motorcraft filter and never had an issue with them but also have never cut one open.I have access to Baldwin,fleet guard and Donaldson but I like the Oem filter.B329 is the Baldwin number if someone wanted to know.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back