Exxon's Profits Up 10% First Quarter Best Ever

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:

As usual, the media concentrates on reporting "windfall profits" and ignores the "windfall" expenditures the oil industry has invested...

Hang on, Profit is revenue minus expenses. EM's revenue is down, and the profit is up, obviously expenses are down, not up, as you state.

It doesn't matter...none of it. When India & China are fully on line as mechanized societies like the US..the pie chart will look different since we have 300MM people and they have 3 Billion. Do the math. Then buy some energy stocks for your retirement portfolio...mine is 33% energy.

Quote:

Gasoline should be regulated like a utility so these thieves can't do what they're doing. If wht you're saying is true, the oil companies can make any kind of artificial shortage they want and nobody should keep them in check. Just suck it up and pay those high prices. Higher CAFE standards are the most sensible solution to this "shortage" but I don't see them being raised either.

Regulate the price..O.K. Are you going to then regulate who is allowed to buy at that price? Lower the price and people buy more gasoline..Where will it come from? The gasoline fairy? There is no more.

CAFE is not the answer people will merely drive more and use the same amount of total gasoline..which as mentioned is finite.

Can you not understand this?

And again Exxon doesn't fix the prices. They are fixed on the spot market in response to the price "You" are willing to pay.

Quote:

"Local/Sate/Federal TAX makes up the majority of the cost of a gallon of gas. Refocus your anger."

Taxes make up $0.65 of the $2.87 per gallon.

plus probably close to 50% of your pay goes to taxes and license fees .

some one owes us cheap gas I don't know who but we are owed it ! I have a right to drive around all I want.
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

No competition = high profits, there were few oil companies then the government broke them up, then the oil companies bought off the politicians and now they have merged and there are few oil companies again.

Quote:

^^^I bet Exxon's dividends won't come close to making up the difference in what you're paying for gas. Their dividends would pay a little nicer if the CEO wouldn't have gotten his 400M last year. What a bunch of thieves.

That is where all the quality goes instead of into the product.

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

In response to the new round of oil profits, Sen. Bob Casey, D-Pa., introduced legislation Thursday that he hopes will curtail rising gas prices. Casey's bill would impose a windfall profits tax and close certain tax loopholes for big oil companies and use the money for research into biofuels and other related projects.

Wow, increase taxes and spending, that will bring down oil prices.
smirk.gif

I'm glad to see someone with the balls to do something w/oil companies raping the American middle class.

The government is our friend , it is here to help us. Say it over and over again till it becomes the truth.

A late thought could the profit come from cutting the pao from M1 ??? I had to bring the subject up or how about all those who use M1 and do less than 5,000 mile oil change intervals?

I guess if one is in debt, owing something to almost everyone, the mortgage company and every bank who ever issued a credit card, then one begins to think that someone should owe them something.

I guess I don't feel that I'm owed much because I don't owe much.

Quote:

Quote:

Gasoline should be regulated like a utility so these thieves can't do what they're doing. If wht you're saying is true, the oil companies can make any kind of artificial shortage they want and nobody should keep them in check. Just suck it up and pay those high prices. Higher CAFE standards are the most sensible solution to this "shortage" but I don't see them being raised either.

Regulate the price..O.K. Are you going to then regulate who is allowed to buy at that price? Lower the price and people buy more gasoline..Where will it come from? The gasoline fairy? There is no more.

CAFE is not the answer people will merely drive more and use the same amount of total gasoline..which as mentioned is finite.

Can you not understand this?

And again Exxon doesn't fix the prices. They are fixed on the spot market in response to the price "You" are willing to pay.

CAFE is part of the realistic solution to this problem.

Why is a refiner making higher profits when the cost of its raw material has risen?

Because demand is exceeding supply, meaning what they can charge is higher than their increase in cost.

And yes, CAFE is the answer. I just discovered a pickup sold in Europe that gets 54 highway mpg. Of course it has a 1.5 liter 4 cylinder, not a 5.7 liter hemi.

John

Quote:

Why is a refiner making higher profits when the cost of its raw material has risen?

For the reason already described, that the price of fuel is being bid up faster than the rise in oil prices.

Second reason is that they do not have to buy all of their crude oil on the spot market. Many oil companies drill for a good percentage of their oil, so the oil they find is worth more than what it costs them to bring it out of the ground, even more profit for them.

Quote:

And yes, CAFE is the answer.

People would drive more, the roads would be more crowded and the gasoline would still be used up and the prices would be the same. All available gasoline will be burned regardless of mileage/CAFE

^^^Just speaking for myself, for what reason would I drive more? My mileage to and from work stays the same, the distance to the vacation house is the same, and I don't drive for the "fun" of it. I disagree, CAFE would certainly help. We could make it work with current technology. Instead of commuting with a fullsize SUV, the average person could almost cut their consumption in half by buying any midsize car that gets 30 mpg on the highway. But I do agree that the high price of fuel will "light the fire" under their a$ $es and make them buy a more fuel efficient ride.

Quote:

^^^Just speaking for myself, for what reason would I drive more? My mileage to and from work stays the same, the distance to the vacation house is the same, and I don't drive for the "fun" of it. I disagree, CAFE would certainly help. We could make it work with current technology. Instead of commuting with a fullsize SUV, the average person could almost cut their consumption in half by buying any midsize car that gets 30 mpg on the highway. But I do agree that the high price of fuel will "light the fire" under their a$ $es and make them buy a more fuel efficient ride.

Since CAFE was implemented in the 70's, the amount of miles driven has increased, at the same time that MPG increased. It's as though people have an amount set aside for gasoline, and spend up to that limit. Europe's consumption went down only after prices rose.

Maybe amount of miles driven has increased because there are more people and the only cheap land for housing all these people is 40 miles away from their jobs in exurbia.

It's kind of like saying, why did we build this new prison/hospital/school/highway if we still have an overcrowding problem? But then could you imagine if you didn't?

The solution, aside from fewer people (which would fix EVERYTHING) is a mix of really good commuter transportation (eg trains), city mixed use planning that allows industry and housing to commingle, car pools, and cities getting smacked upside the head for affordable housing NIMBY-ism.

^^^Yep. Around here we don't have ANY public transportation. We are slaves to the car. Maybe alternative energy tax $$$ to create a decent electric car would help. Who knows. Kinda sux paying double for gas as I paid just 2 years ago, but what can ya do? Maybe if prices stay high, gas from coal and more ethanol will come on the market to stabilize the prices. These wild fluctuations in gas prices make most consumers skittish and isn't good for our economy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back