Exxon Superflo

As has been mentioned, Mobil special took its place in the line up. The only place I've ever seen special was target about five years ago, before they went to carrying shell products.

I've seen it at Big Lots. As I understand it was a standard recipe product for the quick lube places. I remember it being a straight Group 2 with a calcium based add pack vs Group 2/3 Blend with sodium based add pack of the consumer oils. I think I recall around around a 6.0 tbn. It was basically a 6,000 mi oil.

Before Special they sold Super (no numbers) and before that Drive Clean (no numbers) to that market if recall correctly.

I think those were Group 2, Group 1+/2 and Group 1+ in order but my memory is not what it once was.

I believe Special died with intro of SN+ but it might of been SN.

I've seen it at Big Lots. As I understand it was a standard recipe product for the quick lube places. I remember it being a straight Group 2 with a calcium based add pack vs Group 2/3 Blend with sodium based add pack of the consumer oils. I think I recall around around a 6.0 tbn. It was basically a 6,000 mi oil.

Before Special they sold Super (no numbers) and before that Drive Clean (no numbers) to that market if recall correctly.

I think those were Group 2, Group 1+/2 and Group 1+ in order but my memory is not what it once was.

Nah... Mobil Special is still around believe it or not...

Last I have seen it was API SN... And it did take the place of Superflo. Having just checked...

Mobil Special also meets API SN plus....

The tier set up was at that time of ending Superflo was...

Mobil Special - old Superflo. . Baseline conventional oil

Mobil Super- enhanced conventional oil 15 percent more adfitives

Mobil Super synthetic- baseline entry group 3 synthetic

Mobil 1- the full synthetic top of the heap at that time..

I recall Superflo being one of the staple oils at Ames in the 90's, both conventional and syn. The full syn was in a gold bottle and rumored to be re-badged Mobil 1 after the merger.....

My local big lots doesn't carry any automotive products. I dont think they even have hang up air fresheners.

Nah... Mobil Special is still around believe it or not...

Last I have seen it was API SN... And it did take the place of Superflo. Having just checked...

Mobil Special also meets API SN plus....

The tier set up was at that time of ending Superflo was...

Mobil Special - old Superflo. . Baseline conventional oil

Mobil Super- enhanced conventional oil 15 percent more adfitives

Mobil Super synthetic- baseline entry group 3 synthetic

Mobil 1- the full synthetic top of the heap at that time..

Shows you how failable memory can be. mine is still insisting that the Chevron Quick Change Oil and Superflo were the same oil and Special replaced both when Super 5000 and Super 7500 came out. Obviously I'm mistaken. But I still remember it that way.

I would write my name in my underwear but then I would wonder why I was wearing somebody else's.

Still have an Exxon down the street from my house. Full service station at that. Family owned and good people overall. Used Exxon Superflow often back in the day when I had my 72 Grand Prix 400c.i. 4 barrel.

Back