Exxon Superflo

I used to buy this cheap when I worked at a Kragen auto store( now O'Rileys). Mostly 20w-50 because I did not know any better.

I have not seen it in years. Kinda miss the Tiger lol

That was the first oil I ever remember buying. Maybe early 1980s? I remember it being in a red bottle.

Or mobil clean, or clean 5000, or whatever else they call their entry level stuff now.

Mobil Special is the oil which took Superflo's place in their lineup.

I agree with missing the tiger. Though I get to see him at some of the gas stations. :)

Superflo.jpeg

Not the best image but I couldn't bring myself to toss it after using it. Will probably put it on a shelf in the garage as decoration.

That actually came in a car I bought in around 1999. An 87 Camaro 2.8 for $500 in NYC when I still lived there. Scored a whole case of it unopened with the car haha! It was a great car and a great deal. I assume it was pretty fresh back then, or at least recent.
Is it API SJ?

I noticed a couple of Exxon Stations closing lately and a couple of new Mobil Stations (which I hadn't seen locally in years).

Wonder if they have some new marketing plan. That aside I used to use Exxon Superflo when the only thing cheaper was Coastal.

I miss the tiger too. I remember reading somewhere that after the merger, it was decided by the corporate big shots to drop the Exxon Superflo product line and go with the Mobil line of lubes and oils as it was felt the Mobil name had a bigger name recognition.

I am seeing more and more Mobil stations in my area. Exxon seems to be going away as a brand.

Same up here PimTac I think people just got tired of the old double cross and the high prices.
Me I get most of my gas and diesel at Costco when I'm not on a trip. Seems like they are always a dime plus a gallon cheaper at least.

As has been mentioned, Mobil special took its place in the line up. The only place I've ever seen special was target about five years ago, before they went to carrying shell products.

Back