Exxon Mobil reported a quarterly profit of nearly

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: TC
1. $20.5 billion in special deductions, special tax rates, credits, and grants
2. $3.5 billion in Dept. of Energy spending programs

Note that these are NOT “an incentive that is paid out to every corporation in the country” as stated by the previous poster. The $24 billion in Big Oil welfare is specific to “support for the development and production of fuels and energy technologies.”

Big Oil welfare is primarily intended to promote the exploration and extraction of fossil fuels. And yet the largest five oil companies actually produced 4% LESS oil in 2011 compared to 2010 despite earning 75 percent more in profits. They also axed 11,000 employees over the past 5 years, so subsidies do not lift industry employment as some have falsely claimed. XOM’s production fell 5% last year, in spite of industry welfare for them to find and extract it. Taxpayer subsidies to Big Oil have pretty much been a complete failure, so no time like the present to end them.
http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-505267_162-57406956/shell-exec.-focus-on-tax-reform-not-subsidies/

But yet again media outlets are providing contradicting figures because according to CNN money the total energy subsidies for 2011 was 24.2 billion and 16 billion of the subsides was for bio fuels. The Congressional Budget Office stated the energy subsidy was 2.5 billion for fossil fuels in 2011.
Maybe not every company benefits from tax credits but Ben and Jerry's, Microsoft, Apple, GM, Ford, Chrysler, Nike, Starbucks, McDonalds, Burger King, and insert name for your profit company here. Second 11,000 people for the entire industry, not XOM I was not aware XOM is going on trial for the entire industry. When the big 5 employ 350,000 people how many of the 11,000 people who lost their jobs employed by the oil industry were employed by companies that are having a hard time to remain profitable? In case you have not noticed the last 5 years the economy has been pretty bad the worst that I have seen in my life. You are quoting a figure for the entire industry. If your numbers were accurate the total subsidies how much money in XOM as a single company receiving? Because just in taxes the single corporation of XOM is paying more than what the entire industry of oil is receiving by the figures you quoted. Also there was a 4% reduction in petroleum produced but I have not seen where US production has decreased. Is this figure worldwide? Because if a global company is producing less in Saudi Arabia but is producing a equal or more amount in the US I believe that the subsidy is working as intended.

"These companies are NOT the bad guy. The CONGRESS is the bad guy."

WOW. XOM's sole allegiance is to their shareholders, and they've acted accordingly. In spite of its frequent dysfunction, the U.S. Congress constitutes the elected representatives of the citizenry, as well as their interests. How XOM can somehow be a saint in all this, while Congress is "the bad guy," is completely beyond me, but that does explain certain things I've read.

I'm very disappointed to learn that you imagine your Congressmen to have our best interests in mind. You are sadly mistaken!

Judging from your posts it would seem you may figure it out soon.

Keep slurpin' that kool aid, man.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
"These companies are NOT the bad guy. The CONGRESS is the bad guy."

WOW. XOM's sole allegiance is to their shareholders, and they've acted accordingly. In spite of its frequent dysfunction, the U.S. Congress constitutes the elected representatives of the citizenry, as well as their interests. How XOM can somehow be a saint in all this, while Congress is "the bad guy," is completely beyond me, but that does explain certain things I've read.

I'm very disappointed to learn that you imagine your Congressmen to have our best interests in mind. You are sadly mistaken!

Judging from your posts it would seem you may figure it out soon.

Keep slurpin' that kool aid, man.

So, if you could somehow make it happen tomorrow, would you rather have XOM officially represent you and your community’s interests than your current federal elected representatives? XOM officially become your “government?” I’m sure that would end well. Just ask Enron, Arthur Anderson, and MCI.

Remember….”XOM is not the bad guy”….”Congress is the bad guy.” So my question is a logical hypothetical to ask you.

Originally Posted By: dave1251
I am still trying figure out what is bad about a company that pays its taxes and makes a profit.

Absolutely nothing, as long as they are paying inline with everyone else in the industry.

Big Oil: Investments and Transparency

Quote:
Let's not shoot the good guy. “Big Oil” may get a rep as being too big, but recent data from the Progressive Policy Institute tells us American energy companies wear the white cowboy hat in the story. PPI released a report for July 2012 which reveals U.S. energy firms – which occupy six of the top 15 slots in the report – as "investment heroes" by investing a total of $36.3 billion dollars in the U.S. economy.

PPI’s analysis coincides with a recently released report by Transparency International, which found that energy companies rank among the best in anti-corruption.

So what to make of all of the economic progressive populism that attacks Big Oil for playing by a different set of rules than the rest of us? And what about the calls for tax increases on American energy companies?

The attacks seem to be grossly misplaced, and the policy prescriptions ill-advised.

It's politically popular in some circles today to bite the hand that feeds you...(and gets you the GAS you need to get to work).

...Or it's just another example of the fact that not all the relevant information is easily available and most people don't think critically.

As the old saying goes, never attribute to malice what can safely be attributed to incompetence.

ExxonMobil Pays $3 In Taxes For Every $1 In Profit

Quote:
...since its emergence as a unified company, ExxonMobil has paid governments around the world more than $1 trillion. That’s more than double its net cash flow over the same period and almost three times its profits of $352 billion.

Think about what this means: For every dollar in profits it earns for its shareholders, ExxonMobil earns nearly three dollars for governments.

It is difficult to find disaggregated numbers for how much ExxonMobil has paid in taxes to the U.S. Treasury as opposed to all of the other tax collectors in the world, but the company routinely pays more in taxes to the United States than it earns within U.S. borders.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back