Extremely dissatified with Chrysler products

Status
Not open for further replies.
currently own a 2008 chrysler town and country. this is our 4th caravan or town and country.

the 2008 with 47k miles. has a fob key system. driving along one day my van shuts off. ignition dings but no radio windows nothing. take it to the dealer. they tell me my winn or wynn module failed. gonna be $387 not covered by my extended warranty. [censored] but ok need my van i have 4 kids. get a call back later in the day and they tell me our keys wont flash to the new module wynn module. have to buy a new key $256. more [censored] but need the van have 4 kids. get a call back and they tell me the shift solenoid is also bad. $320 . now im [censored] [censored]. told them do not do the repair. explained my dissatisfaction. basically told me they dont really care. told them to put all my old parts back in they told me they couldnt. called Chrysler corp. got the run around told me the van extended warranty doesnt cover the problem. i said this is ridiculous its a 3 year old van with less than 50k miles. they said well its out off warranty and there is nothing they can do. and told me the repairs dont seem excessive because the van does have 47k miles on it. i told them i have a 2000 ford f350 that has 256k miles on it and the only thing ive ever done was chnage the fluid and tires. basically told me im {bypassing the censor} just wanted to let people know about chryslers poor products and service. i will never buy or own another chrysler product again and would warn people from buying their junk. Ive always been a huge supporter of the minivans but never will again. {removed bypassing the censor}

sorry for the rant im just extremely frustrated

Last edited by a moderator:
If my brother was a member here, I am sure he would rant about his Neon as well.

either google or look in yellow pages for a lawyer who deals with car companies. That seems completely bogus that they can't put back on your old parts.

I have owned 3 Chrylser vans over the years. There will not be a fourth. Each one was more toublesome than the one before and each one was a newer generation. In my experience, Chrysler products have more little (easy for me to say) hard-to-fix glitches than any other vehicles I have owned. Body/suspension parts and other non drive train bits are of lower quality and seem to me to be not as well engineered. That being said, I really liked my 97 4 cyl dakota back in the day. Very trouble free. It was a base model 2wd with a manual trans, so not a lot to go wrong. It was also the old 2.5 AMC motor---!!

Originally Posted By: Brybo86
either google or look in yellow pages for a lawyer who deals with car companies. That seems completely bogus that they can't put back on your old parts.

they said the wynn module and key have to be programmed to the van. this new ignition system chrysler uses is bogues and guess what, it can only be serviced or programmed at the dealer. frikkin thieves in my book.

Last edited:
Precisely why my parents finally stopped taking the continual abuse and bought a Sienna last year, instead of a sixth Town & Country. I told them to dump the Chryslers about a decade ago... guess it takes a few transmissions and a power steering pump (all on vans w less than 36k on them) to wise up.

Sorry about your van man. I havent ever owned a Chrysler product but my dad has and has been very dissatisfied. What dealer were you at in Arizona? Ive been to a few there for work or just to look and it seems like service sucks

Originally Posted By: renegade_987
Sorry about your van man. I havent ever owned a Chrysler product but my dad has and has been very dissatisfied. What dealer were you at in Arizona? Ive been to a few there for work or just to look and it seems like service sucks

Superstition Springs Chrysler jeep in Mesa. My service writer is a guy named Thomas.

Last edited:
Chrysler has a long record of poor customer service. Your experience is classic. Very sad.

My Grandfather (a very good mechanic)loved Chrysler. They plummeted in quality and service starting in the 70's. Mercedes Benz bought them and ran away. Now Fiat owns them. Fiat never had a very good reputation too.

Find a good local independent garage that might help..if there are any available.

If you get out of the Chrysler..don't buy a Honda Odyssey.

Originally Posted By: nazareth
Originally Posted By: renegade_987

Superstition Springs Chrysler jeep in Mesa. My service writer is a guy named Thomas.

Been there plenty of times.I figured since your service wasn't that good you were at an Earhart dealer. They arent the best, IMO

Originally Posted By: DB_Cooper
Chrysler has a long record of poor customer service. Your experience is classic. Very sad.

My Grandfather (a very good mechanic)loved Chrysler. They plummeted in quality and service starting in the 70's. Mercedes Benz bought them and ran away. Now Fiat owns them. Fiat never had a very good reputation too.

Find a good local independent garage that might help..if there are any available.

If you get out of the Chrysler..don't buy a Honda Odyssey.

yeah not sure what to do at this point. wish there was a way to just bypass all the b.s. ignition on this van and just put a regular key in it. The thing that irritates me the most is how well i take care of it. Called my finance company and they are going to defer my payments for a couple of months which was very nice of them.

Glad i wasnt in the middle of nowhere with my family when this happened

Everyone has tales of problems with all car makes. In this case it seems that it wasn't so much the original fault that's ticked you off but the additional expenses, I'd be ticked too.

I'd question the dealer. Why can't they program the fob's if they're putting in the correct part? There's no way I'd be paying for anything additional.

Did you have any fault codes about the shift solenoid? Was it something you noticed?

What's up with this "extended" warranty? Is it Dodge or one of those "other" companies.

The dealer is part of the experience and a bad one can really turn you off from the product. Personally, I can't stand taking my vehicle to the dealer. I'd rather do it myself or go to a small shop. Unfortunately, the small guys don't have access to all the info the dealer has so sometimes I'm screwed.

Its not Chrysler, its a minivan... they all blow rope ;-p

I've only been unhappy with one Chryco product out of the 15 so that have gone through the family over the years between 1966 and 2008 (the bad one was a 1978 Horizon- and it was the VW parts that really made that car so bad). I'd say "maybe I've just been lucky," but the numbers are seriously against that. If Chrysler products were consistently bad vehicles, I'd be the first person to have had a whole raft of lemons... and quite the opposite, most of the ones I've had have topped 200k miles with minimal fuss. I do have to say that there have been periods of years where I probably just wouldn't even bother... 1975-1980 were questionable. The Daimler years weren't so hot, especially right at the end.

As for your issue... I think the dealer plays a big role in making things like this right (or wrong!) with the customer, and for whatever reason Chrysler/Dodge dealers have a rap for being among the worst. For one thing, they should have AT LEAST comp'd or heavily discounted you a new set of keys to go with the new module, that's just good business. And I have some serious questions about the "shift solenoid" actually being bad. Maybe a politely written letter to Chrysler corporate would light a fire under someone. And I agree that a good, trusted, independent shop can be a godsend with modern cars.

As for the failure itself... Shtuff happens to electronics, and that's one reason I REALLY try to avoid "fob" keys, keyless entry, security modules (although the PT and Ram both have a basic SKIM system, dangit), and other unnecessary stuff like that. But its getting harder and harder to find a car that you don't have to "boot" instead of "start" :-( I'm actually surprised that the keyless module is 'only' $387. Vehicle grade electronics modules are just stupid-expensive, no two ways about it.

Originally Posted By: AandPDan
Everyone has tales of problems with all car makes. In this case it seems that it wasn't so much the original fault that's ticked you off but the additional expenses, I'd be ticked too.

I'd question the dealer. Why can't they program the fob's if they're putting in the correct part? There's no way I'd be paying for anything additional.

Did you have any fault codes about the shift solenoid? Was it something you noticed?

What's up with this "extended" warranty? Is it Dodge or one of those "other" companies.

The dealer is part of the experience and a bad one can really turn you off from the product. Personally, I can't stand taking my vehicle to the dealer. I'd rather do it myself or go to a small shop. Unfortunately, the small guys don't have access to all the info the dealer has so sometimes I'm screwed.

the extended warranty is through chrysler. i dont know enough to act like i am a expert on any of this. apparently when the wynn module and key were replaced the key wont release from the ignition. thats how the shift solenoid came into play.
My biggest complaint more than the repairs is the lack of accountability and compassion. if you disagree with what they are telling you they seem to give you a f off attitude how dare you question me.

there is noting chrysler could do at this point. i will never purchase another chrysler produt again.

Originally Posted By: 440Magnum
Its not Chrysler, its a minivan... they all blow rope ;-p

I've only been unhappy with one Chryco product out of the 15 so that have gone through the family over the years between 1966 and 2008 (the bad one was a 1978 Horizon- and it was the VW parts that really made that car so bad). I'd say "maybe I've just been lucky," but the numbers are seriously against that. If Chrysler products were consistently bad vehicles, I'd be the first person to have had a whole raft of lemons... and quite the opposite, most of the ones I've had have topped 200k miles with minimal fuss. I do have to say that there have been periods of years where I probably just wouldn't even bother... 1975-1980 were questionable. The Daimler years weren't so hot, especially right at the end.

As for your issue... I think the dealer plays a big role in making things like this right (or wrong!) with the customer, and for whatever reason Chrysler/Dodge dealers have a rap for being among the worst. For one thing, they should have AT LEAST comp'd or heavily discounted you a new set of keys to go with the new module, that's just good business. And I have some serious questions about the "shift solenoid" actually being bad. Maybe a politely written letter to Chrysler corporate would light a fire under someone. And I agree that a good, trusted, independent shop can be a godsend with modern cars.

As for the failure itself... Shtuff happens to electronics, and that's one reason I REALLY try to avoid "fob" keys, keyless entry, security modules (although the PT and Ram both have a basic SKIM system, dangit), and other unnecessary stuff like that. But its getting harder and harder to find a car that you don't have to "boot" instead of "start" :-( I'm actually surprised that the keyless module is 'only' $387. Vehicle grade electronics modules are just stupid-expensive, no two ways about it.

All three of my other Chrysler van have had over 250k miles with my last one a 2k caravan going 400k miles with just one tranny replacement.
dodge charger is my all time favorite car.
my issue is the lack of accountability that there is obviously a defect in their ignition system.

did some online research and this is a huge problem with all the newer chryslers that use this system. even leaving people standed hundreds of miles from service, pretty scary

Originally Posted By: nazareth
Ive always been a huge supporter of the minivans but never will again. didnt these aholes get a bailout.

sorry for the rant im just extremely frustrated

yeah. Chrysler was one company that should have went out of business. I rather own a GM/Ford than their junk. My dad had an early 80's Chrysler K car that had a transmission failure when we were in the middle of nowhere on the way to Owensboro, KY. I was 4 or 5 years old and remember walking on a highway to a toll booth in the snow! Then when I was in 3rd or 4th grade, my dad bought a new Dodge Laser. What a piece of junk, electrical problems galore on that one, started whenever wanted to, the dealer couldn't figure it out. He kicked that car to the curb in less than a year and went to Chevy. good memories from Chrysler. I'll never own one.
15.gif

Last edited:
Honestly.. it sounds like the dealer is playing games.
If they can't put the parts back in that means they broke them and want you to pay for new ones to cover their mistake.

also.. what were they doing messing around with the transmission?
Unless you gave them permission to look.. that would be a Remove & Inspect on your estimate... check to see if that's on there..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back