Extreme Cold. Are You Running MMO for a UCL??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: 147_Grain
On a similar note, does TCW-3 perform similarly to MMO as an UCL in very cold temp conditions?

I would say it does. Both the vehicles in my sig fire right up with the slightest turn of the key all year around. The pontiac used to take much longer starting in the cold but not since I have been adding TCW-3. I have only positive findings with MMO or TCW-3. I just prefer to use TCW-3 because it is cheaper.

Originally Posted By: AMC
I have only positive findings with MMO or TCW-3. I just prefer to use TCW-3 because it is cheaper.

+1

I've been using just below 1oz/5gal of TCW-3 for about three months. Bought some MMO for the first time (a quart bottle, I need to use some to get it down for use in the oil in my next oil change in about 1K miles), added 4oz to 10gal of gas, didn't notice anything other than a ten second period of jumpy warm idle (going between 750 and around 850 RPM, nothing major) while driving the car for the second time since adding it. Then again, TCW-3 hasn't provided me with anything -too- noticeable (the weather had already begun getting cooler) either. Looking forward to more driving and more results!

If your car is well cared for, you shouldn't notice much of a difference with any fuel additive. MMO, TCW-3, Techron, Redline SL-1 are all more of maintaince type products. They basically prevent problems, rather than fixing them.

The things I noticed when I started using TCW-3 was a smoother, quieter, lower RPM idle (especially in cold weather), smoother acceleration, a cleaner tail pipe and maybe 10-15 extra miles per tank. I also noticed an approximate 250 rpm reduction at a cruising speed of 70 MPH. I travel about 8 miles one way to my secondary work location and travel the same stretch of highway at the same speed, 70 MPH. Before TCW-3, the RPMs would be steady at 3,000. After the 3rd treatment of TCW-3 the rpms were about 2,750 going 70 mph with the only variable changing being the addition of TCW-3.
These are differences that most people, except us BITOGers, wouldnt even notice. TCW-3, MMO and the like are simply supplemental in nature and more for the avoidance of problems down the road, please do not expect miracles. My TCW-3 does give a smoother and lower rpm idle in the cold though!

I am not understanding how TCW-3, or any additive, can reduce your engine speed at a given vehicle speed? It's an entirely mathematical number, resulting from the true final drive of the car?

I have no idea and am not afraid to admit that it could just be the placebo effect. Could it be a slight HP increase, meaning less rpms needed to make power in order to cruise a certain speed?

I got off onto a tangent with my last post and I am sorry. My point remains the same though. Adding TCW-3 to my gas gives a smoother idle, especially in the cold when engine idles are known to be less smooth.

IMO a smoother idle results from a slightly better ring seal from the UCL. It's more noticeable in older engines than newer engines, at least from my experiences using a UCL.

Originally Posted By: AMC
... Before TCW-3, the RPMs would be steady at 3,000. After the 3rd treatment of TCW-3 the rpms were about 2,750 going 70 mph with the only variable changing being the addition of TCW-3. ...

I think this is coincidental. My first suspicion is that the torque converter clutch wasn't engaging before, and now it is. Most automatic transmissions will not engage the TCC until the transmission warms up to some given temperature. In very cold weather this can take quite a few miles, while in the summer the transmission reaches this target temperature very quickly.

Stop it, you are talking sense
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: nleksan
I am not understanding how TCW-3, or any additive, can reduce your engine speed at a given vehicle speed? It's an entirely mathematical number, resulting from the true final drive of the car?

Have run MMO in my motorcycle and truck, pleased with the results.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
IMO a smoother idle results from a slightly better ring seal from the UCL. It's more noticeable in older engines than newer engines, at least from my experiences using a UCL.

I agree with this, but I'll also throw in: In port and direct fuel injection, there are tiny solenoid controlled valves involved to meter the fuel based on an open and close signal from the ECU. Because of the poor lubricity of ethanol-infused gasoline, the response of these valves in the fuel injectors may vary from cylinder to cylinder, thus causing varied air to fuel ratios in all cylinders and the perception of noise vibration and harshness, especially at idle. A coating of some sort of lubricant in the fuel likely evens out the mechanical response of the valves and delivers a more equal A/F ratio between all the cylinders, providing the desireable perception of quiet, smooth, even power output from the engine.

Last edited:
I switched to the Bosch Gen3 injectors for my 328Ci when I upped the boost this past year, and had the old injectors sent out for cleaning and blueprinting.I sent one of tthe spare new models to have it flow compared, and while the original injectors were all functioning to at least 98.7 percent, the new ones are truly a leap forward.
I had the car tuned with the injectors only first, no other changes (same 14.5psi, etc), and the tuner, who is widely regarded as one of the absolute best in the country, was able to get an extra 28rwhp and 31rwtq (min torque gain was 18lb-ft!) just from the resulting effects of the worlds better atomization. AFR deviation was cut to 1/3rd of what it was, cylinder temp decreased, and charge air temp dropped a further 25F strapped to the rollers.

I am putting some in my E46 M3 to work in tandem with the CSL intake, aggressive cams, etc, and preliminary testing has shown a gain, in a very high strung NA motor, of 11-16rwhp (final tune should be another 50pct more).

Idle quality is better, power is smoother and more responsive, torque curve is flatter, and in my 328Ci I went from 25mpg Highway to 28.9mpg, and this is a race motor.

I run RL SI-1 regularly, but for anyone who is not using the troubled DI setup, I cannot recommend swapping to these injectors highly enough! I have been building and tuning cars a long time, and I have never once seen a product that improves every singleaaspect of an engine, until now. The cost is not bad, a few hundred, but just look them up to see for yourself...

As for MMO, I have never seen any benefit, especially when I have yet to see any wear even on the cams in my race motor. Run the best oil for your application, never cheap out on gasoline, avoid ethanol, add SI-1 every few k miles, don't let the empty light come on, and change the fuel filter more often than you think you should.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back