extending OCI through winter?

Originally Posted by pitzel
Regina, no hills, no extended idling on congested freeways. Cold weather keeps excessive temperatures to a minimum. Unless the oil smells like petrol, I can't think of a reason why possibly you wouldn't be able to extend.

I think Kramer equipment up by Buck's Auto Parts/IPSCO has UOA services. Not sure of the terms.

Thanks To Pitzel, I got a UOA from Finning Cat (formerly Kramer Cat), they were cheap, fast and local. The results look fine to me for the questions I had that were the purpose of this thread, but I will post the UOA in the UOA subforum.

thanks again for all the suggestions here. I have kept track of the miles at time of oil change this time and will use that and the oil life indicator to decide when to change oil next.

Originally Posted by dgoodsy
Originally Posted by pitzel
Regina, no hills, no extended idling on congested freeways. Cold weather keeps excessive temperatures to a minimum. Unless the oil smells like petrol, I can't think of a reason why possibly you wouldn't be able to extend.

I think Kramer equipment up by Buck's Auto Parts/IPSCO has UOA services. Not sure of the terms.

Thanks To Pitzel, I got a UOA from Finning Cat (formerly Kramer Cat), they were cheap, fast and local. The results look fine to me for the questions I had that were the purpose of this thread, but I will post the UOA in the UOA subforum.
thanks again for all the suggestions here. I have kept track of the miles at time of oil change this time and will use that and the oil life indicator to decide when to change oil next.

Glad I could help; mind posting or even PM'ing me the terms/costs? Thanks... Its been like 20 years since I had any dealings with them...

Sure, the basic test is $25+tax, dropped off at the parts department. TAN and TBN were extra's, I think they were $20 each. I dropped my sample off on Wednesday morning and had the results emailed to me Friday afternoon. I was told all the testing is done at their Edmonton facility.

This thread is almost a year old but caught my attention because it’s the Canadian city of Regina that’s mentioned and we’re just starting the winter season. I think anyone who has to do cold starts in the winter, be it Minneapolis, Minot, Anchorage or Edmonton should be running a 0W30 or 0w20 in the winter. (The OP didn’t mention what grade he have been using). 0w will just make your cold starts that much easier. I use 0w30 in the winter in SE BC ( not to be confused with coastal BC.) This is especially true if the vehicles are not garaged, or stay outside all day during work hours. You can also get by with an older battery. GO RIDERS. ;)

Last edited:
Back