Extended Life Coolants - Any risks switching??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi All,

Our MF 1635 is do for a coolant service, and I wonder if anyone is running any type of ELC, whether it is Cat, or Rotella?? Are they safe to switch from regular Diesel 'Green' Stuff??

What material is the Radiator made out of? The long life coolants do not work well with Copper and Brass soldered Radiators. If the Radiator is plastic and Alum the Long life stuff shouldn't hurt the Radiator.

Originally Posted By: Chris142
What material is the Radiator made out of? The long life coolants do not work well with Copper and Brass soldered Radiators. If the Radiator is plastic and Alum the Long life stuff shouldn't hurt the Radiator.

Is your statement about extended life coolants a general statement or specific to some coolants?

This is from the Zerex website for G-05. It mentions all cooling system metals. Its approved by John Deere and other diesel engine manufacturers. I am sure many of those radiators are soldered copper and brass.

Valvoline’s Zerex
Ò G 05
Ò
antifreeze coolant is a long life,
fully formulated ethylene glycol-based fluid suitable for
passenger cars, light trucks and heavy duty vehicles. The
formulation is designed for both gasoline and diesel
engines. Its lower-silicate, reduced pH, phosphate free
European technology protects all cooling system metals,
including aluminum, from corrosion.

Originally Posted By: Donald
Originally Posted By: Chris142

Is your statement about extended life coolants a general statement or specific to some coolants?

This is from the Zerex website for G-05. It mentions all cooling system metals. Its approved by John Deere and other diesel engine manufacturers. I am sure many of those radiators are soldered copper and brass.

Valvoline’s Zerex
Ò G 05
Ò
antifreeze coolant is a long life,
fully formulated ethylene glycol-based fluid suitable for
passenger cars, light trucks and heavy duty vehicles. The
formulation is designed for both gasoline and diesel
engines. Its lower-silicate, reduced pH, phosphate free
European technology protects all cooling system metals,
including aluminum, from corrosion.
As far as I know all long life coolants. Dexcool also says that it's compatable with all metals. The LL coolants will eat the solder out of the joints in a copper Radiator.

I/We have seen it in person at my shop and our Core suppliers sent a letter a few years back telling us to tell our customers not to use any LL coolants in a Copper Radiator.

So we error on the safe side and stick with silicated green in those.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back