Extended Drain Oil for MB 229.5 applications

Wal Mart brand? Just bcs. it has oversized Made in Germany it doesn’t mean it is better, and it is not.
Have you checked ever Wal Mart or you just fell for those letters?
The brands Wal Mart carries has the same 229.5 cert as liqui moly. They are are the same and walmart is cheaper. It was just a suggestion for OP.

I believe liqui moly special tec carries the certs you want; 5w30, bmw LL01, 229.5. 502/505. Ran it 10k in my wife's amg cla 45 and my audi TTs.
These are the two Liqui Moly oils carrying the MB 229.5 approval

Attachments

• 166FC0F4-1748-4662-8A60-F24942EF97D9.jpeg
    166FC0F4-1748-4662-8A60-F24942EF97D9.jpeg
    219.3 KB · Views: 21
i would use a real synthetic as i did going 10 thou on my 2001 jetta 1.8T no engine issues traded at 200 thou. no DI but a small 4.25 qt capacity. in germany our cheeper group III are NOT sold as synthetic, not sure about other EU countries thou.

Approval is minimum requirement oil has to meet, not maximum.
Oh so there is an A+ 229.5 and a B, and so on... very interesting. I guess mercedes just let's any oil get their stamp and hopes their motors hold, especially the hand built Amg's.
Cheers mate.

Oh so there is an A+ 229.5 and a B, and so on... very interesting. I guess mercedes just let's any oil get their stamp and hopes their motors hold, especially the hand built Amg's.
Cheers mate.
Yes, Mercedes lets any oil that meets their minimum spec get their stamp. What's wrong with that? Engine failure isn't actually that common from using oils that meet minimum spec. Engine failure isn't that common period.

Yes, Mercedes lets any oil that meets their minimum spec get their stamp. What's wrong with that? Engine failure isn't actually that common from using oils that meet minimum spec. Engine failure isn't that common period.
That was sarcasm lol. Mercedes builds some of the best motors in the world.

MB Sheet 229.5 approved oils. ".....for passenger cars with gas and diesel engines with extended drain intervals beyond 229.3 oils, up to 30,000KM...." "....must be used with fleece oil filter....."

But you just need an oil that meets minimum requirements.
Sure, but this is oil forum. Why would this forum exist then?
How would people know that they are paying for oversized Made in Germany sign if not discussed here? I mean maybe they feel better, but they are not getting better product.

M1 0w40, PP euro 5w40 or castrol 0w40. All available at Walmart I believe at a great price. Money is no object and you want that "OUUU" feeling? Motul 5w40 Amsoil Euro 5w40. Look out for calcium numbers in M1 0w40 Which is a LSPI isssue, however many say that's an issue for smaller engines and that zinc is an offset to that issue, something M1 has plenty of. Someone chime in here.

30,000km for VW.
In VW's case, pre 504/507 and 508/509, oils had to meet a different specification to use the Flexible Service Intervals to allow OCI up to 30,000 km.

So, the common VW502/505 oil you see in the US, is not suitable for up to 30,000 km. It had to be 503/506 specification oil

MB229.5 in EU is 15-20k MILES!
Fuel quality in EU is alot better than here, higher than normal octanes in eu helps with oil especially only being e5, and also no cafe stuff we have here

Back