Extended Drain Oil for MB 229.5 applications

Fuel quality in EU is alot better than here, higher than normal octanes in eu helps with oil especially only being e5, and also no cafe stuff we have here
EU fuel isn't higher octane it's a different octane system, they pretty much buy the same fuel grades we do, the bigger difference is that gasoline has been more severely processed in the EU for a longer period of time to reduce the sulfur content below 10ppm, the US is technically supposed to be at that point now, but like all things whomever designed the program was probably paid off by someone and there's batch allowances upto 100ppm and some sort of weird credit system where refineries that exceed the 10ppm annual average can buy credits from others that have stayed under the limit.

EU fuel isn't higher octane it's a different octane system, they pretty much buy the same fuel grades we do, the bigger difference is that gasoline has been more severely processed in the EU for a longer period of time to reduce the sulfur content below 10ppm, the US is technically supposed to be at that point now, but like all things whomever designed the program was probably paid off by someone and there's batch allowances upto 100ppm and some sort of weird credit system where refineries that exceed the 10ppm annual average can buy credits from others that have stayed under the limit.
95 ron = 90 aki is basically their regular

their premium is more or less identical to ours

Last edited:
Fuel quality in EU is alot better than here, higher than normal octanes in eu helps with oil especially only being e5, and also no cafe stuff we have here
US fuel now is similar to EU. Octane rating is same, methodology is different. In EU though it is possible to get 100 octane but it is super expensive.

I think you can get 100 octane here too, only select places and it's the same, super expensive.

You're comparing apples to oranges

100 Octane here is different from 100 Octane in Europe.

In Europe, they use Research Octane Number, which gives more optimistic numbers.

Here, it's Anti-Knock Index, which is the average of Research and Motor Octane Numbers, so AKI is lower than RON.

Current prices in Germany:

BP/Aral Ultimate RON102 is about 1,859 €/liter at the moment. I'm going to fill up in Luxembourg in a couple of days. Much better prices compared to France, Germany, Denmark, Austria and Switzerland and they also carry Ultimate RON98:

Not even really a different story.

Don't we have a member here that has been doing 10k OCIs with Mobil 1 since the 70's?
I can see that.
My point is if you have an old high mileage turd you are not going to change the oil and never lift the hood again until 10k miles. I wouldn't and don't on new cars.

I never had a engine or trans rebuilt in 43 years. I have had some turds too..lol

I do not have any GDI engines either.

Current prices in Germany:

BP/Aral Ultimate RON102 is about 1,859 €/liter at the moment. I'm going to fill up in Luxembourg in a couple of days. Much better prices compared to France, Germany, Denmark, Austria and Switzerland and they also carry Ultimate RON98:

Does Aral still have reputation like in 90’s being really high quality?

I can see that.
My point is if you have an old high mileage turd you are not going to change the oil and never lift the hood again until 10k miles. I wouldn't and don't on new cars.

I never had a engine or trans rebuilt in 43 years. I have had some turds too..lol

I do not have any GDI engines either.
It's pretty standard on Mercedes. They've been doing 10k oil changes for years. Used to be 13k on my 2008 but I guess that was too long for some people so they revised it down to 10k. They do use a lot of oil though, one specs 8.5 quarts and the other is 7.5 quarts.

It's pretty standard on Mercedes. They've been doing 10k oil changes for years. Used to be 13k on my 2008 but I guess that was too long for some people so they revised it down to 10k. They do use a lot of oil though, one specs 8.5 quarts and the other is 7.5 quarts.
Agreed but the guy in question lives in a world of really old stuff like 60-70's
Not to me but to a 19 year old-that's old stuff-lol

Agreed but the guy in question lives in a world of really old stuff like 60-70's
Not to me but to a 19 year old-that's old stuff-lol
7-to almost 9 quarts of oil, motor will be very easy on the oil.

Back