Extended Drain Oil for MB 229.5 applications

The QS 5w40 that's on 'CLEARANCE' at some Walmarts meets MB 229.5....it also meets VW 502/505.
My local Walmart has several 5 qt. jugs but it's still $18.97. I'm thinking of buying it for the VW Touareg 3.6 that my relative owns.
Can I assume this oil is a 10K oil in that application? The sump is 7.1 quarts according to what I've read online (I haven't seen the OM yet).

The QS 5w40 that's on 'CLEARANCE' at some Walmarts meets MB 229.5....it also meets VW 502/505.
My local Walmart has several 5 qt. jugs but it's still $18.97. I'm thinking of buying it for the VW Touareg 3.6 that my relative owns.
Can I assume this oil is a 10K oil in that application? The sump is 7.1 quarts according to what I've read online (I haven't seen the OM yet).
If that's the normal interval specified by VAG then yes it'll do that just fine since it's VW approved.

If that's the normal interval specified by VAG then yes it'll do that just fine since it's VW approved.
Thanks blu....I'll have to read the OM and see what VW specifies...the Touareg's owner isn't exactly a slave to maintenance so I'm hoping it is a 10K interval...

It meets a host of Euro specs all that use recommended long OCI's. It should be good for 10k for you but the only way to know to sure for your vehicle and use pattern is do a UOA. No guessing that way.

I've done quite a few UOA's at 10k intervals in several vehicles and have yet to find a name brand full syn that wasn't up to the task of a 10k OCI. If we were horrible short trippers I imagine that may not be the case though.

Any oil with MB229.5 approval should be capable of up to 15K OCIs.

With that long distance highway driving I don't see a major problem.
I’d be more worried about the filter going that long.

M1 0w40, PP euro 5w40 or castrol 0w40. All available at Walmart I believe at a great price. Money is no object and you want that "OUUU" feeling? Motul 5w40 Amsoil Euro 5w40. Look out for calcium numbers in M1 0w40 Which is a LSPI isssue, however many say that's an issue for smaller engines and that zinc is an offset to that issue, something M1 has plenty of. Someone chime in here.
MB engines haven’t had that problem. But I can’t speak for the newer 4 cyl engines they are putting out.

MB wouldn't spec that OCI if they hadn't designed the filter appropriately.
And on my M272 engine, it's not a regular canister filter, uses a fleece cartridge filter which is supposed to be some synthetic material. Some people have cut them open easily enough afterwards and they look the same as when they went in, just covered in oil. Their original interval was 13k.

MB 229.5 is a long-drain, high performance oil spec - one of the toughest specs out there....

Mobil 1 0W-40has the highest TBN of any 229.5 oil I know....
(Castrol 0W-40 is barely even the minimum 10 to achieve spec)

Attachments

• e69403-001.jpg
    e69403-001.jpg
    156.9 KB · Views: 55
It's pretty standard on Mercedes. They've been doing 10k oil changes for years. Used to be 13k on my 2008 but I guess that was too long for some people so they revised it down to 10k. They do use a lot of oil though, one specs 8.5 quarts and the other is 7.5 quarts.
I think 13k would be a cinch with that spec oil and the large sump capacities.

MB 229.5 is a long-drain, high performance oil spec - one of the toughest specs out there....

Mobil 1 0W-40has the highest TBN of any 229.5 oil I know....
(Castrol 0W-40 is barely even the minimum 10 to achieve spec)
Yeah but I'd still prefer the Castrol. Higher tbn doesn't always translate to better retention.

Mobil1 bumped IMO TBN as 0W40 always had issues with retention. Also that uber high SAPS is not best bet in DI engines.
Mercedes Benz does not have problems with high saps oils used in their DI engines. They offer the best engine protection - in 229.5, engine protection takes precedence over exhaust treatment equipment protection.

Back