EXTENDED DRAIN FILTER

Status
Not open for further replies.
HELLO TO THE FORUM
I am seeking advice about an extended drain filter for a 2.4 07 camry using 5/30 M1 EP. The target is 15k at 90% highway driving over one year. Thanks

I used Motorcraft FL400S, Purolator Classic and P1 ... in my LS400 for 1 year/14-15k miles with regular synthetic or dino for 6mo/7-8k miles, but change filter only once a year. The car has more than 250k miles now without any oil related problem and the engine has no sludge at all.

The P1 and Purolator are not marketed as extended drain and do not have the capacity to hold as much dirt/junk as true extended drain filters like Bosch Distance, Mobil EP, Fram Xtended Guard (?) and the K&N (also possibly certain Amsoil). I would stick with a true extended drain filter. Even though these extended drain filter can cost + $10.00 very often they are sold with 5 quarts of synthetics for around $29.00 and I saw a special last month for $26.99. In other words, the extended drain filter ends up costing around $5.00.

You can use the Mobil 1 M1-209 filter on the Toyota Camry / Corolla engines, both 4- and 6-cylinder. Using this size filter increases the volume of oil in the sump by 0.27 quart (8.64 oz) over the M1-103 (or other manufacturer's equivalent - Purolator PureOne 14476), and increases your filter surface area significantly (almost double, although I am not exactly sure of the sq. in. difference). The O.D. of the filter gasket is a bit larger than the M1-103 (Purolator PureOne 14476 / 14477), but still fits on the mating surface well enough to prevent leaks. I am not making this statement based on anything I have been told, but instead on what I am actually using an oversized filter (same size as M1-209) right now on my 2006 Toyota Corolla (1zzfe) and my girlfriend's Camry (5sfe), and have been doing for a while.

However, I would have to agree with Pablo that I prefer AMSOIL filters for my car (Corolla EaO34, which is same size as M1-209).

P

If it were me....I would go with either the Mobil 1 EP.... or Bosch Distance.....and I would not go much beyond a 12,500 OCI....just to be on the safe side.

I recently changed out Mobil 1 5w20EP with a Mobil 1 EP filter at 11,850 miles. I'm sure it could have go a little longer...but I wanted to play it safe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back