Exploding Pyrex?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Basically, there are a large number of instances of newer Pyrex baking dishes literally "exploding" under normal use. Google "exploding Pyrex" and you'll see hundreds of stories of people taking glass shrapnel in the arms, hands, and legs.

So now I'm skeptical about using my Pyrex baking dish anymore. Basically from what I've read, Corning sold the Pyrex name to World Kitchen in 1998. After that, they changed the glass composition from borosilicate glass (same thing they use for chemistry equipment, super heat resistant) to soda lime, aka regular old beer bottle glass. Which isn't a big problem in itself if the glass is tempered properly, but one website had some of the new dishes analyzed, and a number of experts said the glass wasn't properly tempered. When it isn't tempered properly, it tends to explode into large sharp shards. Basically, they took a good thing and cheapened it until it was junk.

I've been looking into getting some vintage Pyrex on FleaBay, or else getting some Luminarc. Luminarc is a European brand, but still uses borosilicate glass.

Well, weren't you the one who preferred glass splinters in his eyeballs and stew over eating food tainted with plasticizer? Just kidding, I'm not fond of chemicals in my food either. Then again, I use a microwave pretty much never anyway. I don't heat much in it, and I do not "cook" with a microwave.

I have never had any Pyrex glassware grenade in either the microwave or in the oven. My Pyrex is however pre-'98, so my experience may be good just because my glassware isn't new.

Be aware that the probability of a piece of glassware breaking is not only directly inverse proportional, but also directly proportional to its cost. The cheap stuff explodes, the expensive stuff will be dropped, smashed, crushed, or flung out the window.

Had a lasagna dish fall into 20-30 pieces one day as I removed the finished product from the oven.

Only piece of glass that I've seen literally explode was my parent's electric resistance cook-top that was installed incorrectly...kaboom.

Neighbour's halogen cooktop exploded a few weeks ago, but she was using it as a heater while cooked toast in the toaster, so that doesn't count.

Speaking of lasagna and casseroles, I always cook them in enameled metal baking pans in the oven. That makes for a very nice crust at the bottom, not to mention I can use the broiler to get the top just right.

Originally Posted By: mo ri
Be aware that the probability of a piece of glassware breaking is not only directly inverse proportional, but also directly proportional to its cost.

Moriberg's principle.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: Pablo
How did you edit your original post? Surely you didn't bother the busy moderators for a typo?

Neither did I edit my post, nor did I ask any moderator to fix my mistake. Could I possibly have a forum guardian angel?
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: moribundman
How did you edit your original post? Surely you didn't bother the busy moderators for a typo?

Neither did I edit my post, nor did I ask any moderator to fix my mistake. Could I possibly have a forum guardian angel?
grin2.gif

You've got connections.

Originally Posted By: moribundman

grin2.gif

You've got connections.

crackmeup2.gif
How do you think you have so many errors in your posts for mori to correct??
crackmeup2.gif

mori: Yeah. I've got connections
(Tony Stark: Yeah. I can fly)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back