Explain difference in AWD '05 RAV & '19 Santa Fe

I've had 4wd 70s trucks, Scout, Blazer, pickups, 2wd & 4wd dump trucks, always had to lock the hubs and floor shifter, in my former snowplowing business so that's what I'm use to. For the most

We had a 2005 Toyota RAV4 AWD. It went well through the snow and in the rain, or pouring rain, I felt very safe on the Interstate at 70mph, most of the time having traction, seldom hydroplaning, Michelin tires. I always felt whether rain or snow the AWD was pulling me through. Everything I expected in AWD.

Now we have a 2019 Hyundai Santa Fe SEL+ AWD, Hankook tires. On the Interstate, in the rain, I'm scared. I've hydroplaned so many times, I slow down to 40-50mph and even at that speed I don't feel safe. The few light snows I've had here, I didn't feel I had traction, or had wheel spinning.

Is it the type of Hyundai's AWD or is it the tire tread or brand, that is not giving me the traction?

junk oem tires.
hankookf.png

Last edited:
Yep...it is the tires. If you can remember the specific Michelins you had compare them side by side with the current tires. My guess is you will find quite a few differences in all measured specs across the board. Check also the curb weight differences of both vehicles and may find that the Hyundai is lighter.

It's probably the case that your RAV4 had full-time AWD and your Santa Fe is more of a hybrid/on-demand system (likely so for fuel economy reasons). A quick Google search says that the Santa Fe changes the front:rear ratio depending on drive modes, so "Comfort" mode supposedly sends more power to the rear wheels. At any rate, couple that with hard OEM tires and your situation makes sense.

Were the Santa Fe mine, I'd start by looking at getting another set of tires. Unless the road surface is "trenched" from heavy traffic in the same lateral bit of soft asphalt, I've never had much issue with hydroplaning (even with FWD and sometimes-marginal tires), which makes me think that's probably the case. Your mention of hydroplaning suggests that the tires are probably to blame (since AWD shouldn't be of much help there anyway).

https://www.vandergriffhyundai.com/blog/2019/may/1/how-does-hyundai-all-wheel-drive-work.htm

Absolutely driving to fast for the weather conditions.

Enjoy the Hankook nightmare. Been there a couple times and never again.

I agree, it was the tires. Not enough tread or just a lousy design. Most (all?) CUV's are FWD and shift torque after wheelslip is detected (maybe Subaru is different, maybe this or that model, but usually for mpg it's FWD until otherwise needed).

I like tires that are good in the rain right at top of my list. Looking at your limited tire selection at that size, I myself would chose these.I also heard thos Hankooks are bad in the rain/snow. I had my Kona's OEM Goodyears M&S on for 1 months in the winter. It was downright dangerous. I had switch out ASAP, and I sold those tires on Craigslist the day after I got those replaced. I got $250 for the set since I had a 8/32 tread depth.

This tire just came out with a revised tire compound that is better in the wet and snow and better handling in the summer. Also the new compound lasts longer. It comes in your OEM size 235/60 18. The new version Extreme Contact-DWS 06-Plus has the PLUS added to it at the end. You will have to order those as there is a good chance most don't have your size setup in their online store and say they cant get them. IE Discount Tire or Tire Rack. I went to the manufacture's site and they DO make the new PLUS version with the revised rubber compound in your size.

My wife wife has these on her 2014 Rav4 and on my daughter's Civic. Make sure you get the H speed rating not the T.

Also in the rain or snow if you put your Santa Fe SEL+ AWD in Sport Mode you will get front 95% and rear 5% output to the wheels. I tow a 1,200 boat with my Kona AWD and if you tow, I suggest to in Sport Mode as the rear diff takes on the load too. If I pop out of Sport Mode when towing I can "hear" a load going to the front diff, in AWD I can't hear any load. My Kona in Europe and Austalia is rated for braked trailer at 2,800 lbs.

Change out the tires to something decent.

Scorpion Verde All Season Plus II​

Continential Crosscontact lx25

Firestone Destination LE3

If you want more truck-y tires or high performance tires.. there are plenty of great options available.
I tow a 1,200 boat with my Kona AWD and if you tow, I suggest to in Sport Mode as the rear diff takes on the load too. If I pop out of Sport Mode when towing I can "hear" a load going to the front diff, in AWD I can't hear any load. My Kona in Europe and Austalia is rated for braked trailer at 2,800 lbs.
What does this have to do with the OP hydroplaning? A ford focus can tow 3000lb in Australia.. its rated differently and they have different towing hardware.

Change out the tires to something decent.

Scorpion Verde All Season Plus II​

Continential Crosscontact lx25

Firestone Destination LE3

If you want more truck-y tires or high performance tires.. there are plenty of great options available.

What does this have to do with the OP hydroplaning? A ford focus can tow 3000lb in Australia.. its rated differently and they have different towing hardware.
Because I am giving a fellow Hyundai owners some advice he may not know about. And knowing "this place", some guy will post commenting on why the heck I posted this or that. So I added that so he wouldn't post a "What does this have to do with that". I guess it didn't work.

Because I am giving a fellow Hyundai owners some advice he may not know about. And knowing "this place", some guy will post commenting on why the heck I posted this or that. So I added that so he wouldn't post a "What does this have to do with that". I guess it didn't work.

He didn't mention towing though so I'm struggling to see the relevance too 🤷‍♂️

Clearly he's either driving too fast and/or his tires are junk.

Right,
So he might not know that the Kona can tow 2800lb in Australia.. got it.
But since he doesnt live in Australia or own a kona :unsure: not understanding how its relevant.
AWD has nearly nothing to do with the cause of hydroplaning.

Right,
So he might not know that the Kona can tow 2800lb in Australia.. got it.
But since he doesnt live in Australia or own a kona :unsure: not understanding how its relevant.
AWD has nearly nothing to do with the cause of hydroplaning.
Because I was expecting this crew to say "A Kona was not designed to tow" because the standard North American manufacture's standard theme for towing is 'Not Recommended". I figured that would null that comment, But of course that open up a whole new avenue for comment. PLUS, I like to add stuff to my posts because that's how I roll. Plus you all know the tires are the hydroplaning reason, no need for me to comment on it when it was covered by many.

While it may not be what is going on with the OP vehicle, and the problem may very well be the tires, also remember that any vehicle that is out of alignment will not handle well, even with the best tires on it.

And when it comes to alignment I would not waist money on any shop that did not have a Hunter machine that can measure angles down to 1/100 of a degree.

Last edited:
How much should I ask with 23,000 miles on the Hankook tires?
I presume you want to flip them on CL, right?

As little as possible? Might find someone willing to pay $200, but even that seems kinda high to me. I'd look at the ads and see what is being sold, that is similar, then undercut them so as to make a quick sale. :)

In regard of towing:
Somehow a vehicle (a car or CUV) loses its all towing capability when it arrives in the USA.
Be it Volvo, BMW or Hyundai. It cannot tow.

Krzyś

Back