Experience with engine cleaners?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I want to hear your experiences with internal engine cleaners like those for the intake, valves, rings, etc. Any recommendations? I have some old engines with 120,000 miles and up, and want to give them a good cleaning out.

I'm not a real fan of cleaning engines, but this forum seems to really like Auto-RX. Do a search and you'll get all the info you need.

There is a lot of hype about Auto RX on this forum, but I've never been a fan of any engine cleaner. My truck has 125K on it, runs fine and its never seen an engine cleaner since I bought it with 105k on it.

Quote:

as long as you changed the oil like you should, you should never ever have to use an engine cleaner.

That precisely is the problem. These are engines other people owned and they did not always do so. Some have signs of light varnish under the valve covers, others show traces of sludging/varnish.

I have found posting about Auto-Rx as the slow and easy approach for cleaning up the lube channels and components, and Seafoam as the apparent miracle cure for intake and combustion chambers. Any comment on Seafoam for the lube channels? Anyone ever try Seafoam after Auto-Rx?

Quote:

There is a lot of hype about Auto RX on this forum, but I've never been a fan of any engine cleaner. My truck has 125K on it, runs fine and its never seen an engine cleaner since I bought it with 105k on it.

What you're calling hype is a multitude of users experiencing bona fide results. Of all the "mechanic in a can" offerings that are out there ...all the fabulous "claims" ..Auto-Rx is the one product that I tried on testimonials (with some visual aids) that delivered exactly what it said it would.

Now surely some may not see any need for using it. There are plenty who have advanced mileage on engines ..either bought used or retired to "second string" that can surely use it.

Now if I hadn't seen enough visual evidence ..or had not experienced it myself, I could probably view this as "hype". But since I've seen the results myself on multiple vehicles, I know otherwise.

If you don't have a problem, ARx won't fix it.

It does do a good job cleaning engines that need cleaning. I got caught up in the ARx fenzy a couple of years ago and used it in three vehicles.

The two vehicles with no problems showed no improvement. Doh!

The one vehicle that was running a bit poorly despite a recent tune-up improved a lot. I'm guessing it had partially stuck piston rings. It looked clean inside before the treatment, but you can't see everything by looking in a valve cover.

There have been a few real ARx Zombies on BITOG, whatever you do, don't use it on your morning cereal like they do.

Quote:

Quote:

What you're calling hype is a multitude of users experiencing bona fide results. Of all the "mechanic in a can" offerings that are out there ...all the fabulous "claims" ..Auto-Rx is the one product that I tried on testimonials (with some visual aids) that delivered exactly what it said it would.

I say that because of the amount of times and people that mention it constantly. I hardly ever see anything else mentioned.

Quote:

Quote:

as long as you changed the oil like you should, you should never ever have to use an engine cleaner.

That precisely is the problem. These are engines other people owned and they did not always do so. Some have signs of light varnish under the valve covers, others show traces of sludging/varnish.

I have found posting about Auto-Rx as the slow and easy approach for cleaning up the lube channels and components, and Seafoam as the apparent miracle cure for intake and combustion chambers. Any comment on Seafoam for the lube channels? Anyone ever try Seafoam after Auto-Rx?

How would one get Seafoam into the lube channels? Its mainly sprayed into the intake system and should not get close to the lube channels.

So there are two different types of cleanings....intake, valves, deposits on top of the piston or elsewhere in combustion chanmer....and where the oil flows. Auto-Rx seems to be the preferred way to clean places where the oil flows and Seafoam or Chevron Techtron or Amsoil PI for injectors, valves, combustion chamber.

The can of seafoam says you can add it to the oil. Then there is the Amsoil Engine Flush as well.

Quote:

There have been a few real ARx Zombies on BITOG, whatever you do, don't use it on your morning cereal like they do.

It depends on what you're cleaning out
wink.gif

(visions of older SNL spoof commercial)

It's a dessert topping!
It's a floor cleaner!

Quote:

I say that because of the amount of times and people that mention it constantly. I hardly ever see anything else mentioned.

Well, it's sorta earned the reputation. Again, if I hadn't used it myself and seen the results, I probably wouldn't be so ...hmmmm..forthcoming with my recommendations for its use. Also keep in mind that although other products may remove sludge/deposits ..the majority of them are kero in a can and have a few warnings attached to them.

As XS650 says, if you don't have an issues, it's not going to do much for you.

It is a great way to rejuvenate an engine that you've slated for "beater" status simply due to a few long term accumulative issues or consumption.

Has anyone tried Seafoam for the intake and top end, and Auto-RX for the bottom end, on a sludgy/varnish engine over 100,000 miles?

RX. Just had my Mazda Turbo on the dyno (Dyno Tune). Dyno owner Tony Brown who knows my car very well wanted to know who rebuilt the engine. Didn't believe it's 255,000kms original bar water pump and turbo (new core).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back