Expedition/Explorer Ball Joints

Status
Not open for further replies.
I took my wife's 1998 Expedition to a local tire dealership for an alignment. I could tell that the Expy wasn't handling like it should and I could see some wear on the front tires. I thought the issue might be bad shocks (122K with OEM shocks), so I was going to get an alignment and install new shocks.

The owner told me almost immediately that I probably had issues with the ball joints. He told me that they replace 1-2 sets of ball joints every week on an Explorer or Expedition, most before 100K. Sure enough......he jacked up the front and both ball joints were bad. You could really feel the movement.

I can't really complain too much as we have done very little maintenance to the Expy and it has 122K on it. I am surprised that the issue is so prevalent among this SUVs. Has anyone else experienced this with their Expedition or Explorer? The problem doesn't seem as bad on F-150s or with the Lincoln Navigator. Any thoughts?

A buddy did a cursory inspection on one of his drag engine customer's Explorer (not quite a lick and stick). He said the exact same thing .. odd handling. Sure nuff ..both ball joints were bad. This was on a 2002 model. My buddy was really embarassed
shocked.gif
. I didn't recall if they were greasable (but at that size, I would think so). Anyway ..that's one thing I think most of us DYI oil changers overlook. I've got about a dozen fittings on my jeeps that I need to grease at least twice a year. My Caravan has a couple too. So far ..it's the original steering gear @ 173k. I hope the jeeps hold out this long.

Robbobster....the Moog is what was installed. The new ball joints, shocks and an alignment made the Expedition drive like new. The Expy is old and has 122K miles on it, but it runs great and its paid for. The $450 that I just put in it (4 shocks, ball joints and alignment) would be a 1 month payment on a new car.

Gary Allan....you are exactly right about greasing being overlooked. It will get a higher priority in the future!!!!

Our 2001 Excursion along with all the Super Dutys have non greasable sealed ball joints. They seem to start going bad around 50K. Steering not returning to center and wandering front ends are symptoms of them giving up the ghost. That few bucks a vehicle they save at build time really hurts the consumer in the wallet down the road.

Alot of newer vehicles have these problems.

Knew a guy at work bought a Chevy S10 ZR2 with 28,000 miles.....already on its second set of balljoints..........those went bad, now on its third set with less then 40,000 miles

What is it with all these non-greasable ball joints? My 01.5 Ram 2500 has non-greasable ball joints as well. I have thought about carefully drilling and tapping for grease zerks, but I really dont want metal shavings in there.

See if you can magnetize the drill bit (wrap a coil of wire around it and connect it across a battery). Compressed air should work too. The cavity should be filled with grease ..and the drill is made to pull the stuff out.

Anyway, if the Rams have the same luck that the Ferds do ..you've got nothing to lose
dunno.gif

The original ball joints on the Expy were sealed (non-greasable) also. I agree with Robbobster....this choice has caused some $$ pains for their customers down the road. If you don't change them when they start going bad your tires will get chewed up quickly.

The person who installed them for me is a friend, so I got out relatively cheap. I hope to get another 122K out of these new ball joints. My wife likes the Expy and it runs strong and rides great (now).

Now I need to find all of those grease fittings on my Jeep that Gary Allan mentioned......
cheers.gif

Hmm, my Explorer has been exhibiting an odd kind of creaking sound from the front end when hitting bumps in the last 5K miles or so. I always thought it was something rubbing since it sound like nothing I've ever heard before with ball joints. But maybe it's time to put 'er up on a lift...thanks for this post!!!

quote:

See if you can magnetize the drill bit (wrap a coil of wire around it and connect it across a battery). Compressed air should work too. The cavity should be filled with grease ..and the drill is made to pull the stuff out.

Anyway, if the Rams have the same luck that the Ferds do ..you've got nothing to lose

I guess it cant be any worse than drilling holes in the exhaust manifolds of my turbo vehicles for EGT gauges..
dunno.gif

At least in this venture I will have gravity working with me instead of against me...
fruit.gif

methusaleh....It will be interesting to see if you are having the same issue. I hope not!!

Don't some of these ball joints have a knock-out for inserting after-market grease fittings? It sure would be helpful wouldn't it?

The balljoints that Ford replaces the worn ones with are actually an updated part that seems much more durable. I have done at least a hundred sets of these. If you have over 40k miles on your Explorer or Expedtion, don't wait to have them checked out. On the Explorer request that the "excluder seals on the end of the front axles be replaced and lubed well to avoid any extra noise. There shouldn't be any additional labor for this. It was common for these to squeek with wheel speed. I have also seen a lot of loose inner tie rods on the Explorers as well. Make sure they check those while in there. 2002 and up Explorers seem to be easier on ball joints but if you have a squeek or groan over bumps its probably the front sway bar bushings. There is an updated set that comes slathered in some thick grease that will fix that problem.

Also very thick axle grease on your dril bit will keep the shavings out of your ball joints. did this trick a lot on magnesium engines with never a problem drilling directly into the oil ports.

I replaced the ball joints on my F-150 at 176,000 miles. I bought the truck with 93,000 miles on it and it never did ride and handle all that great, and what a diffirence when I replaced those. They were sealed units and beyond shot when I replaced them. Even after replacing them the truck still didnt handle that great so I changed the sway bar bushings and now I couldnt ask for better handling from it.

newguy....I was going to say...that was a pretty cheap price to have all that work done, good deal and GOOD friend!!!! Don't limit this discussion to Expy's and Explorer's, all F-150 have the same problem as well. To check, crawl under the truck and pull on the tie rod. If you got some play in it, then that's tell-tale sign of joint failure. I think the Moog replacements come with a grease insert. Some folks on the other F150 forums have used needle grease pins and lubed the ball joints manually, but it still requires you to cut a little hole in the bushing. If your into maintenance like I am, then simply filling them up with grease after you cut a small hole in it is nothing.

Finally got mine replaced this week. She's got 130K on her. Had both uppers and lowers replaced.

Like many things (like shock absorbers), you don't realize how bad an older vehicle starts gradually deteriorating...until you replace some key parts.

It really steers much better now. I'm not constantly correcting to maintain lane discipline on the highway.

It really is amazing how much different the large vehicles drive when those ball joints and/or shocks are replaced.

I have an '04 Tahoe and my wife has this '98 Expedition. With the new shocks and ball joints...I would almost admit that her Expedition rides better than my Tahoe.

I bet that a large percentage of older Expedition/Explorer/F-150s need this type of replacement, but it gets overlooked. The change in handling is so gradual that it is difficult to quantify. Our Expy has 120K on it and I hope to get another 120K.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back