Exhaust Resonators?

DR1

In regards to adding exhaust resonators to your truck which exact one did you buy that made a big difference regarding drone?

I know everyone seems to say Vibrant Ultra Quiet "" but"" are there others brand resonators that work just as well as the Vibrant in eliminating drone?

I don't use them, but an oval shape does tend to reduce a wider range of frequencies better than a round shape. As the distance a sound wave needs to travel varies depending on position in the muffler.

In the end, I started using stainless 3" Walker Dynomax Super Turbo mufflers on just about everything. Although the stainless one does not seem to be available anymore. We tested exhaust restriction and the 3" was about as good as any other muffler, short of a 3" straight through.

Reactions: DR1
What truck is this that is so loud, you want to add resonators? Raptor? Ram TRX? Otherwise, most truck exhausts are pretty quiet and people want to make them louder, not quieter.

........people want to make them louder, not quieter.

Maybe he did and now needs to quiet it down. I fell into the GOTTA HAVE a cat-back exhaust and intake kit on a truck one time and all I got was the WAAH in the front and a loud drone at highway speeds in the back. No MPG or butt-dyno increase. Put it all back to stock and said never again.

Do exhaust resonators slow down exhaust airflow (restricting air flow?)

Put the stock exhaust back on

everythin in an exhaust slows down flow. Even just straight pipes, due to turbulence at the pipe surface. Every turn the gas makes, slows it down.

I use one of these, drives the neighbors crazy. ;)
1666115091753.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: DR1
Maybe he did and now needs to quiet it down. I fell into the GOTTA HAVE a cat-back exhaust and intake kit on a truck one time and all I got was the WAAH in the front and a loud drone at highway speeds in the back. No MPG or butt-dyno increase. Put it all back to stock and said never again.
And this is exactly why it's critical to buy a good system from a reputable brand. Both Borla systems we have on the truck and Jeep are only really noticeable when you are leaning on the go pedal. Cruising, the Jeep pretty much sounds stock, the truck just a hair louder than stock. No drone. I sometimes think we should have gone for the next system down on the truck because it has quite the roar when you are on it, but my wife likes it and it's her vehicle. Oddly, the same system (S-Type) on the Jeep is more sedate unless you are really opening it up, and then it has a split personality and sounds almost exotic with some crackling between shifts.

Right?

I had a simple and relatively inexpensive Mufflex muffler delete kit on my 2019 Ram 1500 classic hemi, w/ single exhaust for about a year. It was crazy loud at the tailpipe side when you got on it, or at cold start if you were unlucky enough to be there.

That big oval shaped resonator near the tailpipe on single exhaust Rams doesn't do a thing w/out a muffler upstream of it. LOL It was super annoying when MDS kicked in as well. Other than that it did sound so cool. Kind of muscle car-ish.

I installed some over the axle pipes on my Mustang that did not have resonators in them like the factory OTA pipes did and it made the exhaust sound better and didn't cause any drone.

My K1500 has a Borla cat back on it and it drones at certain rpms and it doesn't have resonators in the system.

Back