Aftermarket exhaust

OVERKILL

$100 Site Donor 2021
Be interesting to see the split, was going to do a poll, which I thought we had as a function now but apparently not? 🤷‍♂️

Back when I was in my early 20's I was big into the 5.0L Mustang scene and had a pair of flowmaster 40's on my '87 GT. Later, when I built my "LHO" Town Car (302HO w/Explorer intake, E-cam, 1.7's..etc) I also put flowmaster 40's on it, but it was of course a fair bit quieter given the much longer exhaust.

After we got the Expedition and the factory muffler rotted off of it years later I put a Magnaflow on it, which had a bit more of a growl over stock but wasn't loud.

Everything since then has had stock exhaust. The SRT-8 Charger I found a bit quiet, but didn't own it long enough to bother to change anything. M5 was quiet, but that was I think part of the character of the car, so I left it alone. Jeep has a bit of a bark to it, not planning on changing it at this time.

Well my wife's RAM is REALLY quiet, or should I say was really quiet. She's been bugging me to get her an exhaust system so we listened to a few options on youtube and ended up getting the Borla S-type which goes after the first resonator, replaces the main muffler and deletes the two rear resonators and gives you larger tips that go in the bumper openings. One of the appealing traits of the Borla setup is that they offer the polished black exhaust tips like OEM, so it looks stock.

Truck has quite the bark to it now! It's pretty quiet just driving around, though louder than stock, but if you get on the pedal in any way, it gets pretty snarly. Seems like a reasonably balanced setup though I wonder if the "touring" setup, being a bit more conservative, might have been more appropriate. But my wife loves how it sounds so there's no changing that at this point lol. :LOL:

Anybody in a similar boat?

I did a Gibson axle back kit in my Durango, very mild but the stock exhaust sounded like an asthmatic breathing through a straw.

The Ram will be getting a Magnaflow soon, leaving the rest of the system and the resonator alone. Going for something on the more mild side for that.

I like stainless because it won't rust :)

Borla, Trubendz, or even an ebay exhaust that is 304 will last a long time.

Magnaflow is 409, so it will last awhile, but not as long as 304.

Be interesting to see the split, was going to do a poll, which I thought we had as a function now but apparently not? 🤷‍♂️

Back when I was in my early 20's I was big into the 5.0L Mustang scene and had a pair of flowmaster 40's on my '87 GT. Later, when I built my "LHO" Town Car (302HO w/Explorer intake, E-cam, 1.7's..etc) I also put flowmaster 40's on it, but it was of course a fair bit quieter given the much longer exhaust.

After we got the Expedition and the factory muffler rotted off of it years later I put a Magnaflow on it, which had a bit more of a growl over stock but wasn't loud.

Everything since then has had stock exhaust. The SRT-8 Charger I found a bit quiet, but didn't own it long enough to bother to change anything. M5 was quiet, but that was I think part of the character of the car, so I left it alone. Jeep has a bit of a bark to it, not planning on changing it at this time.

Well my wife's RAM is REALLY quiet, or should I say was really quiet. She's been bugging me to get her an exhaust system so we listened to a few options on youtube and ended up getting the Borla S-type which goes after the first resonator, replaces the main muffler and deletes the two rear resonators and gives you larger tips that go in the bumper openings. One of the appealing traits of the Borla setup is that they offer the polished black exhaust tips like OEM, so it looks stock.

Truck has quite the bark to it now! It's pretty quiet just driving around, though louder than stock, but if you get on the pedal in any way, it gets pretty snarly. Seems like a reasonably balanced setup though I wonder if the "touring" setup, being a bit more conservative, might have been more appropriate. But my wife loves how it sounds so there's no changing that at this point lol. :LOL:

Anybody in a similar boat?
I just bought a 2014 300 S 3.6. I’m so hard of hearing I can’t hear it unless at full throttle. I am going to leave the mufflers but soon replace the resonators with some short glasspacks.

Hmm i like stock for everyday if I could have best of both worlds i would have a weekend car with a mellow but throaty exhaust note. Always have liked the sound of turbo style mufflers

I have a glasspack on the avalanche. When i get a newer truck, i will check out the borla, sounds like a nice setup. I'd love to hear it.

I have a glasspack on the avalanche. When i get a newer truck, i will check out the borla, sounds like a nice setup. I'd love to hear it.

I can tell you that the videos of it don't do it justice, it has a really nice note at moderate throttle with a tone you can't really get across through your typical speakers.

Here's what it looks like (don't mind my wife's look not realizing I was taking a picture, lol):
IMG_1621.jpg

Also, the tips are centred, even though that left one looks off thanks to the angle of the camera.

My Camaro is pretty loud & the only vehicle I own with altered exhaust. If you & the misses like it......That's all that really matters!

I see/hear a lot of obnoxiously loud Rams around here with missing tips & it makes the bumper look weird/out of place.

I have a Borla ATAK catback on the 14 Mustang and it sounds glorious.
The racetruck has the OE exhaust but a Magnaflow tip, not sure how that happened. I want to take it to a muffler shop and have something put in, maybe Borla to make it a bit louder.
The 95 I have BBK equal length shorty headers ready to go in once I build the engine. I got a BBK offroad X pipe for it but will have to have it modified to work with the MM torque arm and then will figure out the rest one the car is closer to being done.

Its so hard to get the right tone without getting all the excessive loudness for street use. Every once in a while you get lucky maybe with a turbo muffler that gives grunt and a touch of growl without the f@rt or obnoxious wake-up-the-neighborhood volumes.

but off the road nothing beats a set of headers (I prefer long tube) and an open exhaust!! For me the best of both worlds is when you can keep it modest in volume for those long days when you don’t want the headache but it can still have some of that snarl when you get into it.

m

"If it's too loud you're too old" :LOL: my 83 Silverado has a single 3" exhaust, 3" pipe from the y pipe coming off the engine to a 3" Magnaflow High Flow cat to a Flowmaster 40 series muffler with the single 3" in to dual 2.5 outlet pipes turned down in front of the axle, deep rumble, loved going thru the parking lot at work, would always set off a couple of car alarms.

A few times I've thought about getting a louder exhaust for my truck--first V8 I've owned and all. Nice to hear a rumble sometimes, like when you get on it. But then I realized that my youth is gone and I prefer quiet. Plus on a lo-po vehicle a loud exhaust is just wrong. :oops:

Five inch front to back on my LML duramax. The drone on long trips gets old in a hurry.
Pushing 66 next month with 43 years and counting around and in locomotives has done a number on my ears.
What?

Five inch front to back on my LML duramax. The drone on long trips gets old in a hurry.
Pushing 66 next month with 43 years and counting around and in locomotives has done a number on my ears.
What?
Locomotives! EMD's or GE's? Which do you prefer? I love the 2-stroke EMD sound.

The EMDs, because the turbos are on the back of the engine will cause hearing loss in the upper ranges, while the 4-stroke thumping of the GEs
cause hearing loss low down. What?
I hired on with CP in Revelstoke in 1975 as a signal maintainer on the Mountain Sub. All brand new SD40-2s, about 500 of them.
When the AC44s came out in 1995 (9500s) we realized that the EMDs made more noise than power.
For the most part, CN stayed with EMDs. I ran their trains occasionally, the SD60s and 70 owned by Caterpillar now, are awesome.

Three pensions and full time work, nothing better.

Hanging out here in the Pits at the US Nationals. Lots of V8 music to be heard. Earplugs go in before we fire up the blown fuel engine.

My own stuff, all the Sportbikes have Akrapovic Evolution full Ti exhaust systems, which can make some noise when revved. The Viper has a completely custom exhaust system. It's louder than stock, but not ridiculously so.

Everything else is stock.

Back