Excuses to get out of working weekends

Kestas

Staff member
Many of us exempt employees sometimes face the awkward request of working on a weekend. It is often important to our manager or our client, but not important to us. I would like to compile a list of excuses that are plausible and should work. Something that isn't as predictable and lame as "my grandmother died." Please add. Some of the best are drawn from personal experience. I'll start with three.

"I need to inter my mother's ashes out of town per her request." (Who would dare tell you you cant?)

"I am best man for my friend's wedding this weekend."

"I have to do court-ordered community service this weekend." (This has the added benefit of making you look like a bad-xxx).

'I'm sick and going to get a Covid test' Which immediately puts them out until the test results come back, and then they find the slowest test available as opposed to the quick tests.

That's the latest one, there's always a death somewhere or they're 'sick'. Some people think management doesn't notice, but when you track every day off on a spreadsheet and can go back and notice a pattern, its time for the paperwork to come out. Especially since we have policy that labels weekends 'critical' days and adds some requirements to the normal call out.

I died. Have to attend a funeral this weekend.

1619557527075.png

'I'm sick and going to get a Covid test' Which immediately puts them out until the test results come back, and then they find the slowest test available as opposed to the quick tests.

That's the latest one, there's always a death somewhere or they're 'sick'. Some people think management doesn't notice, but when you track every day off on a spreadsheet and can go back and notice a pattern, its time for the paperwork to come out. Especially since we have policy that labels weekends 'critical' days and adds some requirements to the normal call out.
Oh yeah we had someone like that, a few deaths in the family like grandmothers/grandfathers, then a few close friends died. They got sick of her being out so often so the day they were going to fire her, she called in sick so they had to pay her an extra day before they could fire her the next day.

Easy. All they have to do is give them a bonus at least equal to at least 1.5x or double even though they're "exempt", or give a day off during the week.

With a special bonus or something, people will actually want to sign up and work the weekend. It could go by seniority or some other factor.

If Saturdays are that necessary, make the work week Tuesday-Saturday.
If Sundays are that necessary, make the work week Sunday-Friday
If both are needed, then there should be even higher pay for that, with the "weekend" being during the week.

This all reminds me of the guy who went to his boss and asked for Friday off. He even offered to take it without pay. His boss asked why and he said that he was serving as best man for his friend at a huge Polish wedding. His boss agreed as he had a good work record but told him to be in early every day the following week.

So the guy takes of Friday. Monday comes and he does not show up for work. Same on Tuesday. Wednesday, he straggles in and looks like he hasn't slept in days. Naturally, is boss is quite upset.

"Where the heck were you for the past two days?', he asks

"I'm sorry I didn't show up Monday and Tuesday but it was because they had door prizes after the wedding and I got second prize,"

The boss says, "How does winning second prize make you two days late?"

Guy answers, " Second prize was three days in bed with the bride. That's where I was."

"Holy crow," says his boss. "what was first prize?"

"A canned ham."

Many companies abuse exempt employee thinking that they can work as many hours as the employer wants. In Right to work states you can be fired for any reason. That being said an ocassional working Saturday (like once a quarter) isnt that bad, but not every weekend like some companies do. I've been asked to come in many Saturdays and usually did, but when I said no my boss wanted a verifiable reason which I always had. My point is dont lie, especially if your excuse can be easily verified. If this is a common occurace of 6 day work weeks, start looking for another job, making employee work like that shows that the company is understaffed, inefficent, and could care less about its employees. Life balance is very important dont let a company's profit margin be the main priority.

Many of us exempt employees sometimes face the awkward request of working on a weekend. It is often important to our manager or our client, but not important to us. I would like to compile a list of excuses that are plausible and should work. Something that isn't as predictable and lame as "my grandmother died." Please add. Some of the best are drawn from personal experience. I'll start with three.

"I need to inter my mother's ashes out of town per her request." (Who would dare tell you you cant?)

"I have to do court-ordered community service this weekend." (This has the added benefit of making you look like a bad-xxx)

You need to trench a 200’ gas line.

"I have to do court-ordered community service this weekend." (This has the added benefit of making you look like a bad-xxx).
If it's just one weekend during a busy time, I just did it. It's part of the job. I have had to sacrifice a weekend many times to get the job done. Never needed to lie and make excuses not to do my share.

We work every other weekend, and then have a 3 day weekend the next week. Lots of people try and sneak a 4 or 7-day 'weekend' on that. Thankfully I'm allowed to require Dr.'s notes for it which cuts down a lot on that kind of thing.

Its just dangerous as hell for my employees that do show up when we're unexpectedly short, and I don't think its fair to call someone in from the opposite shift on their weekend off, so I try and avoid that if all possible.

Back