Excessive carbon build up

Status
Not open for further replies.
My Grand Marquis runs on 91 RON/87 AKI, with the recommended dose of MMO at each fill up. My average fill up is 65 liters/16.3 gallons, and I add a 200 ml (just under half a pint) of MMO each time.

Ever so often, I would hear that rattling/marbles in a can noise (detonation) coming from the engine under partial load. I’m not sure why, but if I mix TC-W3 with the MMO, or just use TC-W3, the detonation becomes much more frequent, even under light load. Anyhow, I am either extremely light on the throttle or would depress it a bit further to avoid detonation. Switching to 95 RON/91 AKI would make a slight bit of a difference, but not much. Using 98 RON/94 AKI would eliminate the detonation completely.

My driving is extremely easy on the car; pick ups are rather nice and gentle and I barely exceed 100 km/h (63 MPH) with cruise control on most of the time. Every so often I would get up to 120-140 km/h (75-88 MPH), but very briefly before I drop speed. Then again, I average about 12-12.5 L/100 km with my 3.08 axle ratio.

When I was merging on a highway this afternoon, I floored the gas all the way to pick up speed, something I haven’t done for a long while. Looking in the rearview mirror, I could see HUGE clouds of brownish-black smoke. I floored it a couple of times, and the smoke was still there. So when I got home, I went somewhere isolated to rev the engine a bit.

If I constantly keep my foot on the gas, there is no smoke. But if I suddenly tap the gas ¾ of the way, release it and keep doing it, there’s huge clouds of brownish-black smoke coming out. I could see loads of it coming from the left tailpipe looking out the open door, although it seemed a bit more on the right from what I have seen in the mirror.

I did this for a good 3 minutes, and although a bit less, the smoke was still there. So I believe the combustion chambers are literally caked in carbon deposits, which I find a bit surprising, because MMO is supposed to soak up and break loose carbon deposits. The exhaust is considerably cleaner than it was when I bought the car though, so the MMO must be doing something.

Anyhow, it’s kind of worrying that there’s so much of this built up inside the engine. I don’t want to keep driving it like I stole it either, but is there anything else that might cause this other than my grandpa driving style? Thanks!
thumbsup2.gif

MMO can reduce carbon deposits, but the driving like a grandpa can definitely still carbon it up. When I first picked up my Jeep, I stomped it coming out of a toll booth on the way home and laid a nice cloud of [censored] much like you describe. I seafoamed it once I got home, and it fogged out the entire neighborhood.

Once it's cleaned up, just make a point to get on it a bit every once in a while, and floor it whenever you're running up a highway on ramp and it's safe to do so. That should be enough to keep it from carboning up again.

Thanks for the input! I think I'll flog it every second fill up, or something like once a week.
thumbsup2.gif

I drive my Montero the same way, but I substitute TC-W3 for the MMO. When my passenger side manifold needed to be replaced, there was not a bit of carbon inside it, which very much surprised my mechanic at the time. Then again, the gearing ratio is taller. If the engine speed is at or around 1,700 rpm at 75 MPH on the Grand Marquis, it's 3,100 rpm on the Montero.

Stop using the MMO. A car built in 2001 with modern closed-loop engine controls should not have a problem with carbon buildup in the combustion chambers. You definitely should not be using it on every fillup. You should only use an OE-approved fuel injector cleaner every 50,000 miles.

A catch can will greatly reduce crankcase emissions to the intake reducing deposit formation.

There must be some ford guys here that have effective de-carboning proceedures.

Originally Posted By: rslifkin
MMO can reduce carbon deposits, but the driving like a grandpa can definitely still carbon it up. When I first picked up my Jeep, I stomped it coming out of a toll booth on the way home and laid a nice cloud of [censored] much like you describe. I seafoamed it once I got home, and it fogged out the entire neighborhood.

Once it's cleaned up, just make a point to get on it a bit every once in a while, and floor it whenever you're running up a highway on ramp and it's safe to do so. That should be enough to keep it from carboning up again.

+1
MMO is softening up the carbon, and by getting on the engine you're blowing it out. It would be a good idea to get the engine nice and hot and get on it a bit, and really blow the carbon out.

Yes, varying your driving styles for a WOT run every now and then helps the car out really.

Even more so, since he's driven so easy on it and based on his description in the OP, I'd say use an actual top end foam cleaner(instead of seafoam) and let it soak for 1-2 hours before restarting the engine and doing a WOT run. We may hear reports later of a solar eclipse seen overseas.

Thanks for all the input!
thumbsup2.gif

Seafoam and BK44 are unfortunately not available to me here, but I will check to see if GM's Top End Cleaner is available (anybody got a part number handy?). Does Ford happen to have an equalivant product?

How about running the likes of something such as Liqui-Moly Fuel Injector Cleaner or Gumout Fuel System Cleaner like a top end cleaner through the brake booster line? Or if I pay for an on-car fuel injector cleaning service with a cleaning machine, would that help get all the gunk out of there?
confused.gif

Either way, I'll schedule it right before an oil change.

Stop putting junk in your gasoline. These heavy oily hydrocarbons are likely a source of carbon buildup in your engine.

Note that your auto manufacturer does not recommend them, and most recommend NOT to add them.

Ugh...don't pour a liquid down the brake booster, please. I'm sorry, it's just not as effective as spraying a foam cleaner in through the intake, let alone risky. This gets to all of the cylinder heads without the "needs 'enough' fluid at once" to stall the engine with the liquid product...and did I mention in doesn't clean all of the top end evenly that way?

I order and use Amsoil's Power Foam, but have heard good things about GM's cleaner and Mopar Combustion Chamber Cleaner.

Not sure what you could get over there, though. I'll say if you have no other choice, SeaFoam through the brake booster as a last resort. Any throttle body cleaner through the intake while idling might give you some cleaning inside, not sure. Definitely don't use another liquid product that doesn't recommend being inducted into the engine.

Just my .02 cents...

Oh, and I do what the guy does in the video, but let it sit for 1 hour instead...and I change my oil after. It's a once a year thing for me, during the summer.

Originally Posted By: Falcon_LS
I will check to see if GM's Top End Cleaner is available (anybody got a part number handy?). Does Ford happen to have an equalivant product?

GM might have gone to a newer formulation. Top Engine Cleaner, the good stuff is this part # 1050002. HTH

For a 2001:

Clean the MAF. A dirty MAF just going lean under load causes pinging like crazy. Dirty MAFs also run rich at idle=carbon time.

See if there are any TSBs that apply to pinging in that model. FoMoCo had lots of reprogramming going on to alleviate pings over multiple model years of 4.6. No octane adjust on that year, so no do it yourself fix.

Stop with the gas additives. I saw multiple 150K+ CV/GM/TCs that ran fine with.............just plain unleaded generic gas.

Ford does have their own version of "top end cleaner", we pretty much only used it on Mazda powertrain Fords. Warm up engine, feed it through a vac line till engine stall, let it sit overnight and do an Italian tuneup the next morning.

Originally Posted By: Falcon_LS
Thanks for all the input!
thumbsup2.gif

Seafoam and BK44 are unfortunately not available to me here, but I will check to see if GM's Top End Cleaner is available (anybody got a part number handy?). Does Ford happen to have an equalivant product?

How about running the likes of something such as Liqui-Moly Fuel Injector Cleaner or Gumout Fuel System Cleaner like a top end cleaner through the brake booster line? Or if I pay for an on-car fuel injector cleaning service with a cleaning machine, would that help get all the gunk out of there?
confused.gif

Either way, I'll schedule it right before an oil change.

Ford does have an injector cleaner part#19579.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back