Saw an 18 wheeler overheating today, he just kept going!!!

If it were my vehicle I would turn it off as soon as it were safe, then I would let it cool off for an hour or two, then turn it back on, and drive as long as it could until overheating. Rinse and repeat until I got to a nearest area to r&r.

This exact thing I did when a coolant hose ruptured on my vehicle. Vehicle lived a happy life years after that happened.
I've always wondered-- do you really get an accurate reading if the CTS isn't touching fluid?

Then you've got engines like Ford modulars that don't even have a wet sensor for engine temp. I don't know if Ford's CHT is constructed differently than a more conventional CTS

Now that I think about it, I was living in the area in the mid nineties so it was a 'bit' more than 20 years ago. My age is showing, LOL.

"Cannon said Roberts declined. But in a sworn statement given during a State Patrol investigation, a co-worker said he overheard Roberts request a tow truck, and heard Cannon say it would be too expensive, telling Roberts "we will just take our chances."

A brief time later the truck slammed into the car driven by Sue Dolan."

Look at it this way: all fluid leaks eventually stop. So do really bad knocking noises.
"Not my truck, not my problem". That's the sad state of too many drivers today.

I really wouldn't call him a driver,more like a steering wheel holder.He wouldn't drive for me and my dispatcher would of transferred the call to the head mechanic and or fleet manager to procede.A real truck driver doesn't abuse another persons truck.An owner-operator would have the knowledge, skills,tools to analyze and procede with the repair.Whether you drive a car or semi,if a problem does come up,common sense and being safe is a real positive I.M.O

I've always wondered-- do you really get an accurate reading if the CTS isn't touching fluid?

Then you've got engines like Ford modulars that don't even have a wet sensor for engine temp. I don't know if Ford's CHT is constructed differently than a more conventional CTS
I've heard it will start to cool down because nothings touching it even thought it's about to go into a total meltdown

Reactions: D60
I've heard it will start to cool down because nothings touching it even thought it's about to go into a total meltdown
This is what I've always ASSumed, which is why I just never trust a gauge if I have reason to believe an engine has lost a significant amount of coolant.

Again, Ford's system would be an exception I would think.

This is what I've always ASSumed, which is why I just never trust a gauge if I have reason to believe an engine has lost a significant amount of coolant.

Again, Ford's system would be an exception I would think.
I would think it would still feel the heat inside the engine though

"Whether you drive a car or semi, if a problem does come up, common sense and being safe is a real positive."

Common sense is no longer common, unfortunately. We live in an age where the operators manual tells you not to drink the coolant.

"Cannon said Roberts declined. But in a sworn statement given during a State Patrol investigation, a co-worker said he overheard Roberts request a tow truck, and heard Cannon say it would be too expensive, telling Roberts "we will just take our chances."

A brief time later the truck slammed into the car driven by Sue Dolan."
Wow, I think you found the right indecent. 1992. It doesn't seem that long ago that my room mate came home telling about the huge wreck by the dairy.

Back