Excellent Dealership Experience!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently had my local Audi dealer rotate my tires, since I bought the tires from them and they included lifetime rotations. Immediately after the rotation, a shake developed at highway speed. No problem, I'll just have them roadforce balance the tires and get it fixed right up.

I called for an appointment, and also questioned how much it would cost since I've seen reports of it being on the expensive side. My SA quoted me $39.95.

I asked - "Is that per wheel, because that's even more than what I was expecting?"

SA - "Nope, that's for all 4 wheels."

Me - "Does that include any tires that need to be broken down and rotated to minimize the road force number?"

SA - "Yes, it does."

Me - "I also purchased these tires from you guys a couple of years ago."

SA - "Well then, you get 50% off that rate."

Me - "So it will cost $20 to have all 4 tires road force balanced?"

SA - "Yes."

That really surprised me, as I've had other shops quote me $20 per wheel in the past. So last night I had it in and it took about an hour as the tech wanted to be thourough because I stated the shake at highway speed. He test drove it first to verify the shake and balance all 4 tires. None were out of force spec, so he gave the suspension a good once over and found that one of the upper control arms had play at the ball joint end.

The SA went over that with me and knew that I would probably want to take care of that part myself, which I would since the last ones I installed were lifetime warranty. I went to pay the bill ($19.99 + tax) and the SA said don't bother. We see you as a long time valued customer (I bought the car from them 6 years ago) and they would pick up the tab on this one.

So, full road force balance of 4 tires and a good inspection of the suspension system with no intention of any upselling and I walk out of there paying nothing and enjoying a couple of cookies and a soda in the waiting room. Heck, the sales crew didn't even bother me as I drooled over the new S6 and S8 in the showroom. If I didn't have my kids with me, I probably would have test driven the S8 just to see how the new 4.0 twin turbo scoots.

I thought I'd just put this out there since the only dealership stories that typically get posted are the angry rants that they are all out to rip us off for as much as they can.

Glad that worked out for you, It's often a variation of the business 'loss leader' where they lose small profit to gain a (in your case later) larger profit. Since they probably view you as a good future customer, it makes good sense. Dan Mpls. Mn.

Ernst Toyota in Columbus,Nebraska has treated me very good, and I will probably lease the next Camry from them. The family has been in the area for many years and they made a major contribution when the new hospital was built. It's nice to have a dealership in our city. No sense in going to Omaha or Lincoln or anyplace else. Ernst has new facilities for both their Toyota and GM lines. Very nice people to deal with. And no, I don't have any connection to Ernst.

Originally Posted By: threeputtpar
..I went to pay the bill ($19.99 + tax) and the SA said don't bother..

Nice!

Earning loyalty one customer at a time. I'm almost certain you'll be back there and perhaps tell your friends, too.
smile.gif

That is remarkable! Especially, since they know very well that you do NOT give them any gravy business! Dealership (or any other repair shops) really lives and dies by the gravy jobs aka $500 spark plug changes and $129 air filter replacement or $400 brake job per axle (on car with less than 20K miles)

There are some really decent dealerships out there. I know a few i would have no problem with giving my car to if i couldn't do it myself.
Unfortunately the bad ones get all of them tarred with the same broad brush.

The smart dealers know that the knowledgeable customers (aka like Trav or 3putpar) even if they personally give them very little business can influence a lot more of their friends, relatives and colleagues which can bring significantly more jobs to the dealer.

I had a dealer install new axles in a car once because they claimed the bearing surface was causing the noise I was having. After the test drive the noise was still there. When the bill was handed to me it had a big fat N/C on it before I could ever get a word out.
They are out there but few and far between.

Originally Posted By: Blkstanger
I had a dealer install new axles in a car once because they claimed the bearing surface was causing the noise I was having. After the test drive the noise was still there. When the bill was handed to me it had a big fat N/C on it before I could ever get a word out.
They are out there but few and far between.

My BMW dealer and my Mazda dealer are both excellent. It makes me reluctant to look at other brands.

Originally Posted By: Miller88
Wow! That's a heck of a deal.

Someone probably didn't get paid for working on that car. I wouldn't be a happy tech.

Last edited:
This is one case where as a customer I would have INSISTED on tipping the tech at least 25 bucks or possibly more. In the future if you go back there you will be remembered by that tech in the best possible way, and likely get the best possible work out of him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back