EVs With 12V Battery Issues

Oh my so many errors in that vid. One being you can jump start a EV. No please do not do this. If you blow the main fuse in the HV battery pack this will cost you a fortune to fix and the cost will not be covered by the manufacturer.

Also the 12v battery on a EV has a service life of 4 years.

You do not need a battery minder/ charger in a VWG BEV as the car essentially does the same job as long as the HV battery has enough charge.

I find videos like this which give broad general statements about things as if it’s fact for every car so misleading.

Oh my so many errors in that vid. One being you can jump start a EV.

Also the 12v battery on a EV has a service life of 4 years.

Although a plug-in hybrid, my 2013 Chevy Volt has terminals under the hood for jump-starting (or connecting a charger).

And the AGM battery in the trunk/hatch area is the original, so it's 9 years old, and still working fine.

I bought a replacement AGM battery at Costco, but I've been too lazy to install it.

The thumbnail on that video shows a non-AGM battery...

My one complaint about my accord hybrid is that it doesn’t charge the 12v battery properly. It keeps it at a low SOC and draws down on it while sitting.

Granted the 12v battery doesn’t need to be any stronger than what is needed to unlock the doors, but it’s annoying.

I’ll see <12.0V routinely if the car sits more than a few weeks. The main battery doesn’t top it off.

My Hyundai Sonata Hybrid keeps the 12V battery at a low SOC like around 50-60%. I would never use it to jump start another vehicle for risk of damaging the expensive DCDC converter or anything else. I've replaced it once already and it lasted for 4 years.

Back