best $30 smart 12v battery charger for vehicles?

Sorry to bump an old thread, but I've been looking for a battery charger and these cheap Chinese ones on the market seem quite attractive with their features (eg. temperature compensated charging and the pulse repair). They all seem to have similar functionality, which leads me to believe they all probably have some common circuitry in terms of the electronics. Curious to see what people's experience has been on the repair feature as the online reviews seem generally positive on them being able to desulfate batteries?

On a side note, I've been experimenting with refreshing some older batteries which are still functional but a little low on the tested CCA reading. I've done things like adding Epsom salts to the acid to increase conductivity, and also overcharging @ 16V overnight to break up some of the sulfates. Strangely, what has seemed to work the best in combination with these techniques is to do a deep discharge to <50% then immediately charge it up again. I think it maybe it "shocks" the plates a bit to help loosen up some of the sulfate build up.

For a "name brand" battery tender from a reputable company, this is a deal for only $30 with shipping.
Its the Battery Minder brand, in a "wall wart" version. 1 amp, with automatic temperature compensation. Even has a desulfation stage.
It is exclusively retailed through Northern Tools on their website and also on their eBay page.

Website link:

eBay link:

Link to IFU which also shows the charging algorithm:

Warranted for five years.

Last edited:
I bought a Schumacher 2a auto charger maintainer at Menards this year on closeout for under $15. They seem to do this every year when Schumacher comes out with a new model. Missed it last year, need to get another one.

For a "name brand" battery tender from a reputable company, this is a deal for only $30 with shipping.
Its the Battery Minder brand, in a "wall wart" version. 1 amp, with automatic temperature compensation. Even has a desulfation stage.
It is exclusively retailed through Northern Tools on their website and also on their eBay page.

Website link:

eBay link:

Link to IFU which also shows the charging algorithm:

Warranted for five years.
This would be my choice. Not high current but absolutely trustworthy.

The ones OP linked to seem to not only temperature compensate, but they read out the temperature. That’s good and interesting.

I go for BatteryMinder and have 5 but can only find 3 or 4 and the dog chewed the plug on another that I have not fixed yet.

But BatteryMinder are a lot more than $30. If you are just going to charge up car batteries overnight then cheap ones should be OK as long as it's not sulfated. But if you are going to leave a charger/maintainer on a boat battery for the winter then you probably want a good one. Temp compensation may be important depending on the ambient temperature of where you are keeping the battery.

But BatteryMinder are a lot more than $30. If you are just going to charge up car batteries overnight then cheap ones should be OK as long as it's not sulfated. But if you are going to leave a charger/maintainer on a boat battery for the winter then you probably want a good one. Temp compensation may be important depending on the ambient temperature of where you are keeping the battery.
No, you can get a 1amp Battery Minder for $30 delivered, and still has automatic temperature compensation and desulfation stage.

No, you can get a 1amp Battery Minder for $30 delivered, and still has automatic temperature compensation and desulfation stage.
I think I have one. It's not really made to charge batteries. Just maintain. The two the OP referenced were both 6 Amp so I assume he wants one to charge and for a car battery 6 amp would seem like a minimum.

The BatteryMinder 2/4/8 Amp charger is $223 on their website.

I think I have one. It's not really made to charge batteries. Just maintain. The two the OP referenced were both 6 Amp so I assume he wants one to charge and for a car battery 6 amp would seem like a minimum.

The BatteryMinder 2/4/8 Amp charger is $223 on their website.
It will charge, it simply takes longer, and of course, works great left on a boat all winter too.
From their sales pitch: "8-stage unit charges and maintains from 1 to 4 batteries at a time "
Battery Minders come in all price points. I have a Battery Minder 2 amp AGM I bought online for $97. I have the 2/4/8 one you mention I purchased last year for $185, with free shipping and no tax. If you pay the price on the BM website, you are not using the internet correctly. :)

It will charge, it simply takes longer, and of course, works great left on a boat all winter too.
From their sales pitch: "8-stage unit charges and maintains from 1 to 4 batteries at a time "
Battery Minders come in all price points. I have a Battery Minder 2 amp AGM I bought online for $97. I have the 2/4/8 one you mention I purchased last year for $185, with free shipping and no tax. If you pay the price on the BM website, you are not using the internet correctly. :)
I have the 3 of my higher end Battery Minders on my 3 boat batteries. Two are flooded and one is AGM. I replaced the clamp section on the model 2012 Battery Minders. The Battery Minder has a SAE 12V connector so easy to swap in a new clamp and wire set. I think the clamps on the 2012 model was kind of cheaply made. The clamps on the 2/4/8 model were a much higher quality. It's also possible the clamps on the current 2012 model are better quality than when I bought mine.

Back