EverStart H8 AGM - Clarios Made in Germany

The EverStart H8 FLA battery from 2017 in my ‘89 Mercedes 560SEL finally died and I needed a quick replacement. So I went to Walmart and all they had was an H8 AGM battery. Would have preferred an FLA for this car but the AGM was there in front of me and was cheaper than FLA batteries from the parts stores.

Noticed that it had a Made in Germany sticker by Clarios.

Curious to see how it holds up over time with the 4 yr warranty from WM. The car isn’t driven often but I try to keep the battery charged up using my NAPA maintainer.

Attachments

• C88089E6-6535-4654-B217-A29129046CBA.jpeg
    C88089E6-6535-4654-B217-A29129046CBA.jpeg
    174.5 KB · Views: 289
Thanks for the info. I have the AC Delco AGM, also made in Germany...probably same maker (Varta?). The case shape, and features such as the handles are identical, the only difference is the AC Delco is molded from only black plastic. I bought the AC Delco because it was #1 rated in Group 49/H8 in 2019 by Consumer Reports.

Mine is just shy of four years old and works terrific, load tested at around 925 CCA recently (rated 900CCA) and up until mid 2022, it was still testing over 1000 CCA, since new.

Similar price to the AC Delco at $170, I would be inclined to get the Walmart branded one for the extra year of warranty.

Thanks for the info. I have the AC Delco AGM, also made in Germany...probably same maker (Varta?). The case shape, and features such as the handles are identical, the only difference is the AC Delco is molded from only black plastic. I bought the AC Delco because it was #1 rated in Group 49/H8 in 2019 by Consumer Reports.

Mine is just shy of four years old and works terrific, load tested at around 925 CCA recently (rated 900CCA) and up until mid 2022, it was still testing over 1000 CCA, since new.

Similar price to the AC Delco at $170, I would be inclined to get the Walmart branded one for the extra year of warranty.
After further reading here on the forums, it appears that's who the manufacturer is...Varta.

As an aside, how do you test your batteries for CCA? At a shop or do you have a battery load tester for yourself? I've been considering purchasing something to check batteries myself and I'm unsure what exactly to get.

After further reading here on the forums, it appears that's who the manufacturer is...Varta.

As an aside, how do you test your batteries for CCA? At a shop or do you have a battery load tester for yourself? I've been considering purchasing something to check batteries myself and I'm unsure what exactly to get.
I have a cheap Griots Garage Battery Tester, which is simply a private label version of the Schumacher

These are a bit controversial as they are not really applying a load to the battery, but testing the resistance. For example, you need a good clean clamping to the posts for a consistent and repeatable test. For this reason I will test at least twice, removing and reclamping between the tests. It seems fairly accurate for my needs.
There are threads here of other peoples preferences. I've had mine for over a decade, and I see other brands with more features and information produced than just CCA and "good, weak or bad" read outs.

I have a cheap Griots Garage Battery Tester, which is simply a private label version of the Schumacher

These are a bit controversial as they are not really applying a load to the battery, but testing the resistance. For example, you need a good clean clamping to the posts for a consistent and repeatable test. For this reason I will test at least twice, removing and reclamping between the tests. It seems fairly accurate for my needs.
There are threads here of other peoples preferences. I've had mine for over a decade, and I see other brands with more features and information produced than just CCA and "good, weak or bad" read outs.
Thanks for sharing. I've picked up on the same controversy as well from casual reading on this forum. There's plenty of options in the $50 range which is reasonable given the information it can provide you.

Thanks for sharing. I've picked up on the same controversy as well from casual reading on this forum. There's plenty of options in the $50 range which is reasonable given the information it can provide you.
Yes, I think the EEs here want the actual resistance value and the alogrithm used to determine the "good, weak or bad" indication. Me? I just want the CCA number it displays, the rest isn't of much value to me.

Just got a Everstart (Clarios) H5 AGM battery delivered by FedEx. However, no place of manufacture sticker on the case/label components. I do need to look on the bottom of the case just in case. Can I assume this is manufactured in the US?

What would be the best charger or charging rate on this battery? It would seem that I dont drive it enough to restore charge. 2014 Malibu LT 2.5 Liter.
1701534546881.jpg

What would be the best charger or charging rate on this battery? It would seem that I dont drive it enough to restore charge. 2014 Malibu LT 2.5 Liter.View attachment 191186
Money no object, I like Battery Minder. They make several versions, this is their top model with the most versatility as far as charging rates and battery types it is compatible with. Best price I have found was here:

But in all honesty, a Battery Tender, purchased Costco.com or in their warehouse for $60 (I think they are cheaper in store) will probably work just as well:

Back