Evergreen Air & Space Museum

Status
Not open for further replies.
The parent company/benefactor of the McMinnville, OR, museum (home of the "Spruce Goose") is having difficulty. The linked article says the museum is OK. My s-i-l works for a well known aviation museum locally and is planning a trip to McMinnville because he wants to see the Goose. He told me that despite the depiction of no impact on the museum there, he wants to head down there soon. Just in case.
http://www.cnbc.com/id/101319847/

Originally Posted By: Donald
I thought the Spruce Goose was in Long Beach CA next to the Queen Mary. At least it was in 1983 (about) when I saw it there.

Yeah, that was...30+ years ago. It moved to OR a long time ago. 15-20 years ago, I would guess.

I've not been to that museum yet but certainly look forward to a visit soon. I truly hope that no matter what happens to Evergreen, the museum will be able to continue to exist for decades to come.

Originally Posted By: Donald
I thought the Spruce Goose was in Long Beach CA next to the Queen Mary. At least it was in 1983 (about) when I saw it there.

That's where I saw it too.

I went there a few years ago and while I was looking at some of the planes parked outside there was a family from somewhere back east asking me if I thought it was worth the $20 admission. I told them there was only one place to see the planes they had, but I could understand their concern about dropping $100 and weighing it against other entertainment options.

Wow. $25 is high compared to aviation museums around here.

Olympic Flight Museum at Olympia (OLM aiport) is small, and has a much smaller price. (DD: Several Vietnam era helicopters there.) www.olympicflightmuseum.com

Paul Allen's collection at Everett's Paine Field is superb. These aircraft are airworthy, or are being restored to airworthy. Tickets are moderately priced. (This is not a museum per se. Younger children may not enjoy a visit much.) www.flyingheritage.com

The Museum of Flight at Seattle's BFI Airport is on par with the best in the country. Adult admission is now $19 as of Jan. 1, but you could spend an entire day there. More things of interest for children.
www.museumofflight.org

(Special note to Seattle Seahawk fans. Admission to the MoF is half off as long as the Seahawks continue through the 2014 playoffs and you arrive wearing Seattle Seahawk gear of any era. NFC Championship win on 1/19/14 pushes the special pricing out two more weeks. Call ahead for precise details. Go 'Hawks!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back