Ever use Marvel Mystery oil? Why?

Funny how when someone questions ingredients in certain motor oils or other automotive liquids: majority of BITOG members say to look at overall performance instead of hair splitting the ingredients.
But when MMO is being evaluated for its performance - suddenly all results claimed to be one's imagination, because there is no way MMO ingredients could achieve such results.
Double standards at best, it seems.

Last edited:
Not knee jerk at all. I’ve thoroughly researched MMO. I, as well as many others have known for decades that the only thing MMO does is lighten one’s wallet.
MMO made my wallet heavier actually. Here is the story I posted a while ago.

Can't make this up fellas... A few pennies in MMO (4oz MMO to 10gal of fuel ratio) are saving me dollars at the pump. During last 2 weeks one of my vehicles ended up going through 6 full tanks of fuel, 16-16.5 gallons every time. It's the 2006 Camry with 3.0L V6. All fuel came from same gas station and even same pump.

Average fuel consumption for tanks 1/2/3 worked out to 20.47 MPG.

Average fuel consumption for tanks 4/5/6 worked out to 22.36 MPG.

First 3 tanks were just fuel, next 3 tanks had MMO in mentioned ratio.

Numbers don't lie, so I'll take any savings I can get. Only wish my other cars responded to MMO the same way...

^ Your 2006 Camry responded positively to MMO and you wish your other cars had responded in the same way……:unsure: A Festivus miracle no doubt!

It's one of the cheapest and best working rifle cleaning solvents that I've found, frees up engines and keeps carburetors clean. That's worth it's price to me.

I think it also cleans injectors, fuel systems and combustion chambers. But I have no proof of that personally.

Funny how when someone questions ingredients in certain motor oils or other automotive liquids: majority of BITOG members say to look at overall performance instead of hair splitting the ingredients.
But when MMO is being evaluated for its performance - suddenly all results claimed to be one's imagination, because there is no way MMO ingredients could achieve such results.
Double standards at best, it seems.

Apples to oranges. Engine oils are a complex combination of base oils and additives that need good synergy, solvency, lubricity, volatility, and reactivity to perform a wide range of duties from wear protection to acid neutralization, friction reduction, and corrosion resistance. This forces you to look at the bigger picture.

MMO doesn't have to do all of that. It's focused to specific uses and thus open to criticism for that specific use. You also have to consider how it affects the oil in that big picture as additives are diluted, viscosity drops, etc...

Last edited:
As has been writ large, horses for courses. I see no reason to put it in the crankcase, but in my twin BBC trawler, using Mex gas (top tier? How about bottom tier) I put a qt. in each tankful of said gas. Keeps the carbs clean(er?) There are a lot of folks here who have no experience with certain products but still have a strong opinion, one way or the other.

Apples to oranges. Engine oils are a complex combination of base oils and additives that need good synergy, solvency, lubricity, volatility, and reactivity to perform a wide range of duties from wear protection to acid neutralization, friction reduction, and corrosion resistance. This forces you to look at the bigger picture.

MMO doesn't have to do all of that. It's focused to specific uses and thus open to criticism for that specific use. You also have to consider how it affects the oil in that big picture as additives are diluted, viscosity drops, etc...
Lots of theory there. Makes sense. Yet when it comes to practical portion - MMO still works as advertised or better, in the neglected beaters that us poor folks are forced to be in. Don't have any issues using it in fuel or crankcase, but had enough success in both areas to justify keeping some around for when beaters or small engines start acting up. As I said earlier across multiple posts - new cars or meticulously maintained ones don't benefit much from MMO. Beaters neglected by previous owners or any carb-ed OPE benefit greatly though, at an acceptable price point.

I have not used MMO in any of my road vehicles. I'm not a fan of using it in modern engines with emissions due to the possible side effects. I do use it in my gas cans for my OPE. I have not noticed much difference in any of my OPE running but I keep fresh fuel in them and use E0 with Sta-bil...

just my $0.02

I’ve been wanting to replace a qt of oil with MMO in my 04 Silverado just to see if it gets rid of the lifter tick on a cold startup.

Tell that to all the lifter ticking engines, that "magically" stopped ticking after recommended application of MMO. That's just the ones I had experience with, seems like many others had similar experience.
As well as fuel gauges that "magically" started working after MMO.
And carburators that somehow stay clean when MMO is used, but do get gummed up from just fuel being used, or even when fuel+Stabil are used.
Just my experiences, can't speak for others, but mine are enough for me.
I had it magically cure problems over the years too. Ticking lifters, and gas gauges not working immediately come to mind, with a few other benefits. Snake oil, placebo, etc. I read it all here, got into heated debates over it etc. Now I laugh, and if I feel up to it I'll chime in. The stuff worked for me time and time again, so if/when the need presents itself I'll be using it again. ;) For the ticking lifters and gas gauge fix, I found it to be the cheapest of the "snake oil"fixes.

I was recently given a 2002 Blazer with 108K miles.
I ran a bottle of Techron in one tank.
Then some MMO just to get that warm and fuzzy feeling.
Now here is the strange part the person I got it from said that when the gas needle hits 1/2 it starts bouncing up and down.
Since running the Techron and MMO the gas needle has not bounced around.
Maybe between the two they cleaned some gunk off the float?
I still dont trust it so I have filled it at around a 1/2 tank and it takes about 10 gallons in an 18 gallon tank and 15 MPG,yuk.

I read a SB long ago that the GM fuel pumps of that era had issues with the fuel gage sending unit not play well with ethanol gas. Mine in my 98 did just as yours did so you never truly trusted it even though it still worked. The replacement pumps even aftermarket seem yo hold up as good or better than GM’s pretty poor pumps. Unfortunately the sending unit is inside and a part of those poor pumps.

Have used for many years off and on and still do. For me I use it as a mild fuel cleaner off and on in the fuel. Once in a great while I'll add 8 to 12 oz in the oil for 500 miles prior to oil change( on a newly purchased or neglected vehicle). Definitely had some cleaning doing it this way, not just visual oil darkening but actual cleaning of the metal that can be seen under the oil cap.

It gets such a bad rap around here but most people that knock it have never used it. Some people like to just come into this sub forum say that every additive this snake oil so do your own research. and I'll admit it might have a limited scope of use but there is one. Just my opinion.

I read a SB long ago that the GM fuel pumps of that era had issues with the fuel gage sending unit not play well with ethanol gas. Mine in my 98 did just as yours did so you never truly trusted it even though it still worked. The replacement pumps even aftermarket seem yo hold up as good or better than GM’s pretty poor pumps. Unfortunately the sending unit is inside and a part of those poor pumps.
IIRC, the fix was Techron in that GM SB. I also remember around the same time, Chrylser was having fuel pump problems with Shell fuels. I had a Shell representative visit the shop to verify and paid the bill for my client.

I have used it in the past but not lately. I used it for the fuel not the oil. My main purpose was to lube the fuel pump, injectors and upper cylinders. I did seem to notice slightly better mpg when using it.

How about you all? Fuel, oil, both?
Both. Along with diesel. Lubed my old 4.6L crate motor. Fixed sticky lifters and it ran great after.

Used as directed on the label, MMO will not harm the cat or sensors on a modern car. It s safe to use in oil too. That said, I only use it in OPE gas these days. I like the smell too.

It seems to have gone up in pricing at Walmart, today I was there briefly to grab a wiper and drop off used oil. It's approaching $6 a qt. which seems higher than it's usefulness in OPE. Berryman B-12 is still $2.97 at Amazon...

Back