Ever Know Anyone Who Got Oral Cancer from Smokeless Tobacco?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Babe Ruth died at 53 from throat cancer and I know he chewed tobacco, smoked cigars, drank whiskey. Fellow hall of famer nellie fox constantly chewed or smoked tobacco and died in his mid 40s from cancer ....my late dad chewed days work natural tobacco and he thought the chemicals in many processed tobaccos were much worse than just real thing..he died of a heart attack at 57 due to other vices besides chewing and smoking a pipe

i use smokeless tobacco, but its the Swedish snus. Many are using it and i never heard somebody got oral cancer from it.
But i don't say it would not cause cancer. Been using it for 15 years.

Tryed Grissly wintergreen once in time, that was like putting wd 40 in the mouth.

Originally Posted by john_pifer

Anybody here had serious health problems from it? Holes in your mouth? Or known anyone who has?

Telling his story for the WEEI/NESN Jimmy Fund Radio-Telethon on Wednesday morning, Schilling said he believes that a 30-year habit of chewing tobacco is what caused the cancer.

"I do believe, without a doubt, unquestionably that chewing was what gave me cancer," he said. "I'm not going to sit up here from the pedestal and preach about chewing."

The 47-year-old Schilling said he spent six months in the hospital with a feeding tube, undergoing chemotherapy and painful radiation treatment. During that time, he said, he developed a staph infection and there was a week of his life he doesn't remember.

Former Boston Red Sox pitcher Curt Shilling: https://www.espn.com/boston/mlb/sto...er-says-chewing-tobacco-led-mouth-cancer

I know quite a few people who use smokeless tobacco and it's a vile, nasty habit. Some of them spit, some of them swallow. Ever work in an area where the people are spitting into a trash can? To me, that's worse yet.
I don't use tobacco products and I'm glad they finally outlawed using them indoors. I never liked smelling like an ash tray.That being said, I had a neighbor who developed mouth cancer about 10 years ago. They put him into the ground a couple of years after he was diagnosed with the disease and he didn't use a single product of tobacco or alcohol in his life. My former boss is going through mouth cancer treatments right now and he's not a tobacco or alcohol user either.
Tobacco has put a few people into the ground early, I'm just saying that it's not always the fault of tobacco.

I don't know anyone personally who got oral cancer from dipping.

That doesn't make it safe.

I also don't know anyone who:

- died in a car crash (but I still wear my seatbelt)

- died from obesity (but I still watch my weight)

- died from lung cancer (but I still think smoking is risky)

- crashed a car while DUI (but I don't drink and drive)

Anecdotal evidence is perhaps the worst way to assess risk...

I've don't know anyone personally who had issues with dipping. I used that stuff for like 12 years before I finally wised up and stopped. Started in high school. It seemed like everyone was doing it. I got addicted, can a day. Didn't spit. I could eat that stuff. Kodiak wintergreen was my choice. My wife HATED me doing it. Once I had kids I quit.

Originally Posted by double vanos
Guy at work dipped skoal, no dip cup, he "gutted" it. When the juice was totally gone he swallowed what was left. Claimed it was "roughage". He's still alive but has had some bone transplanted where the dip used to go. Still dipping.

Another co-worker dipped Copenhagen Hagen, taking huge dips at a time, I'm talking 1/3 of a can each dip. He bought it by the sleeve. He didn't gut it. He died from what started out as a large tumor on a kidney. They whacked out the kidney , started chemo and after a half year he told his oncologist to eff himself, the chemo was more than he could take. He died last fall, his body riddled with cancer. He told me he took his first dip while driving a tractor on a road crew - told me had to get off that tractor, the dip threw him for a loop. After being sickened by that first dip how could he wind up addicted to it?

I'll never figure it out.

It doesn't make logical sense. This clip illustrates it fairly well, though:

On a more serious note, I remember reading this story in the eighties. It really made an impression on me as a teenager in the rural West: Sean Marsee

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back