Ever find it hard to go back to dino?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, here I am, with two jugs of SM rated Formula Shell 5w30, ready for my oil change change tonight, yet I find myself freaking out (Don't worry, it's only a little bit
smile.gif
)

Maybe it's because I'm so well trained to use synthetic (it is my "baby", after all) You just get that feeling that you're not doing the best thing for your car (like it's going to hurt it for something), even though you know better. But simply put, I can't justify putting (or wasting the money) synthetic into a car that does not get the benefit of it! The last few times the oil was in pretty good shape, as it was change due to the time frame.....

So today I get to break that mold and still know my car will be just as protected as it would with syn. Granted, I'll probably put a blend in for winter, but the more I'm on this site the better it is to break the trend....besides...I know all that moly will be good for my car....
grin.gif

Is it just me, or does anyone else get a bit worried when they do this?

Only on BITOG do we worry about this stuff....
cool.gif

Hi.

It's just you honestly. There is the general impression, online in forums, and everywhere in shops, that synthetic is >>>>>> than conventional oil. That is simply not true. Much of the oil marketed as synthetic is actually petroleum based (alkenes) as well. The only oils that are truly 100% synthetic come from esters, a source of which is plants. However, they are expensive.

The conventional oils of today are well engineered, and will protect your engine just as well as a synthetic. However, synthetics still hold the advantage in longer drain intervals. I am not too concerned about cold flow, because they are both comparable. So don't be afraid to use whatever conventional you have.

What kind of vehicle do you have? I use conventional oils in all of my vehicles, simply because I don't think I need to use synthetic.

I honestly would love to go dino if it was available in 40wt. Sadly, that isn't possible. I give my girl's '10 civic all dino.

Originally Posted By: dtt004
Hi.

It's just you honestly. There is the general impression, online in forums, and everywhere in shops, that synthetic is >>>>>> than conventional oil. That is simply not true. Much of the oil marketed as synthetic is actually petroleum based (alkenes) as well. The only oils that are truly 100% synthetic come from esters, a source of which is plants. However, they are expensive.

The conventional oils of today are well engineered, and will protect your engine just as well as a synthetic. However, synthetics still hold the advantage in longer drain intervals. I am not too concerned about cold flow, because they are both comparable. So don't be afraid to use whatever conventional you have.

What kind of vehicle do you have? I use conventional oils in all of my vehicles, simply because I don't think I need to use synthetic.

Yeah, I won't get much benefit on the extended drain, since the car MIGHT see 3k in 6 months.....

The car mentioned is my 2004 Cavalier with the 2.2 Ecotec, which are known to be pretty easy on oil...

Typically my cars go from treasured gems to beaters, since I keep them for decades. Once they make beater status I demote
27.gif
them to dino oil, no regrets, and no looking back. Currently my 93 Aerostar is considered a beater, the Jeep and E-150 are still getting synthetic oil with no plans of changing them to dino oil.

I haven't switched back to dino yet but may. I actually just switched to synthetic last summer. Yeah, it cost a bit more but you can go longer on it and I thought it was better for an engine at start up too. The reason I may use some dino again is because I've read here that PYB is some great oil and I can buy it for $2.50 a qt at Kroger. Pretty good deal. Might run some later this summer or just buy some at the good price and wait til next year. Just did oil changes on both vehicles with full syn. Want to run a full synthetic through winter too.

Not in the Buick. That car could care less about the oil choice as long as it's 5w-30 and changed somewhat regularly. No VVT, VTEC, or any fancy electromechanical gizmos in its pushrod engine.

The Honda will only see synthetic oil due to how it's used and me being paranoid about the Maintenance Minder in that car letting the oil go 11-12k miles between changes. The car gets 50-60 miles a day 5 days a week of no-traffic freeway use, so it's the ideal scenario for using a syn oil.

Originally Posted By: poiuy223
I honestly would love to go dino if it was available in 40wt. Sadly, that isn't possible. I give my girl's '10 civic all dino.

2010 civic on 40 weight? or another car?

It is not difficult as now some syn are really lame. Like Edge. If an oil needs explaining I rather avoid it. PYB added a robust add pack. It has things we know are desired. I have no time for mystery oils that adds are invisible and need graphs to show you they are good choices. Oil co. are not the top of the list imho to be trusted. So back to basics. Mr Bill in Utah is starting to look good imho.

Originally Posted By: daves87rs
So, here I am, with two jugs of SM rated Formula Shell 5w30, ready for my oil change change tonight, yet I find myself freaking out (Don't worry, it's only a little bit
smile.gif
)

Maybe it's because I'm so well trained to use synthetic (it is my "baby", after all) You just get that feeling that you're not doing the best thing for your car (like it's going to hurt it for something), even though you know better. But simply put, I can't justify putting (or wasting the money) synthetic into a car that does not get the benefit of it! The last few times the oil was in pretty good shape, as it was change due to the time frame.....

So today I get to break that mold and still know my car will be just as protected as it would with syn. Granted, I'll probably put a blend in for winter, but the more I'm on this site the better it is to break the trend....besides...I know all that moly will be good for my car....
grin.gif

Is it just me, or does anyone else get a bit worried when they do this?

Only on BITOG do we worry about this stuff....
cool.gif

I don't worry about it 'cause I don't do it. Synthetic only for me. My car gets fractionally better mpg with synthetic so the syn pays for itself and I don't have to worry,like you.

Originally Posted By: SLCraig
Originally Posted By: poiuy223

2010 civic on 40 weight? or another car?

Nah, meant my car. The girl's civic has PYB 20wt right now, with QSGB waiting in line.

Why you want to use dino when syn can actually be had for less money I don't know, but I have used dino in every car we own at one time or another.
The BMW will probably stay on a mainly dino diet, given the way it is used, as a summertime daily driver, although I have some M1 15W-50 and some Syntec 5W-50 that will get their turn in it.
I used QSGB 10W-40 for the Forester's first change, at 1K, since I had it, I only intended to run it 3K, and it is within Subaru's recommendations for the ambient temps I ran it in.
I've done short 3-4K dino runs in both Accords, since I picked up the oil dirt cheap on some sort of deal, and naturally wanted to use it.
Oil is pretty much oil for most engines as most of us use them.
I prefer syn, since the best deals usually involve syn.

Not for me.
I am going to run Conventional,except in the Winter when I will run Synthetic then. Probably do not need to run Syn,but I paid about $3.00 to $3.33 a quart for it. Paid around $1.68 to $2.00 a quart for Conventional.
Wife's car is easy on oil...a Ford Focus 2.0. Not so sure about my 3.9, I am a little concerned with fuel dillution.

JMHO
cheers3.gif

I've run conventional in everything I own for many decades.

I've never considered a vehicle a "baby", nor do I feel that using conventional is not "doing what's best".

The vehicle is there to serve my needs and purpose, not for me to impart emotions on it in an attempt to make it feel good.

In some vehicles it makes sense to use a synthetic and there is a benefit when it's used. But the vast majority of vehicles will have service lives that are just as long with conventional engine oil as with synthetic.

On the other hand I do like to make my bank account fat and happy by feeding it all that extra cash that I'm saving by using conventional over synthetic.

Originally Posted By: FZ1
I don't worry about it 'cause I don't do it. Synthetic only for me. My car gets fractionally better mpg with synthetic so the syn pays for itself and I don't have to worry,like you.

I'm not that worried....more of a different feel I guess.

I've seen plenty of my type of car and engine drive around with barely an oil change, and most are still running pretty well...

Not hard at all...my 86 BMW K75C has about 130,000 miles on Mobil 1 but when Valvoline VR1 20w-50 was on sale at Autozone a while back for $2.49/quart I went back to Dino in a heartbeat.

Actually several Pounding heartbeats as the Autozone clerks did not know the oil was on sale even though there was a big sign posted right next to the bottles on the shelf...and it was in the flyer right by their register. Took me about 25 minutes to check out.

After lurking around here for a few years...I've made a complete switch from using 100% synthetic to 90% dino oil. Before, I was stupid and was doing 4-5K OCIs on a brand new 2002 Odyssey with Amsoil. I am just using up the last of the T6 I have left over and then I'll be 100% dino. Before coming onto this site, I blindly assumed that synthetic was better since it costs more and all the benefits claimed in advertisements. Plus, it made me "feel good" running synthetic in recently purchased cars without any evidence to back it up. Well now, where it's a 25K or 90K car, it gets dino and I don't think twice about it. I don't do crazy OCIs and I don't race the car so I won't really be needing synthetic. I don't consider gunning the car at a red light as severe driving. Whenever I feel like it or the stash runs low...I head down to auto parts store or walmart and grab 10 jugs of 5w-20 or 5w-30, usually MC, PYB, Maxlife or SM,SL oil on sale. I saw that costco coupon the other day and decided to pick up 4 cases of shell 5w-30. Thanks to this site, I save money, time and not waste valuable resources for the sake of "feeling good."

OK, let me get this straight, dino is just as good as synthetic?????? So all the research, money, and science are all just a scam so the oil companies can make more $$$$$$. So people that spend more on oil can feel better?? Give me a break, synthetics are proven to protect better in high heat or extreme cold or for longer OCI's. If your engine does not operate in any of those conditions, great, dino is for you. But to say synthetics and dino protect the same in every situation is just ignorant.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back