Ever eat possum?

If not, you can buy it here...but pricy. Back when I was a kid and trapping, we got about $1 for a possum. ;)

I’ve never had it and certainly wouldn’t spend that kind of money on one. I’m not sure what the hunting regulations are here but I’ve hit a few with my vehicles.

I have not eaten possum knowingly. I have been served some questionable meat products so who knows? I have had another species of marsupial, though.

Sixty dollars for a tail?? I would like to try rattlesnake. I knew a guy who regularly ate woodchuck that his dog brought home or he shot and said it was very good. Surprised that isn't on the list.

when I was a kid, we tried some, I'll never eat it again ...to me it had very little taste and man was it greasy. a guy who lived near us used to eat about anything he trapped or hunted

when I was a kid, we tried some, I'll never eat it again ...to me it had very little taste and man was it greasy. a guy who lived near us used to eat about anything he trapped or hunted

It's always good to know what's edible and generally healthy (as in not carrying diseases) before you need to find out the hard way. Plenty of rabbits around here, but chances are they've got myxomatose.

Mom cooked a possum when I was a kid. What I remember was it didn't smell good while it was cooking in a pot on the stove.
It turned out we didn't try to eat it and she put it out for the dogs. I also remember the dogs would not eat that cooked possum either.

At that time I was running a small trap line and possum's and rabbits are about the only game I would catch. The possum hide's would bring about $1.25 to $1.50. Considering all the time it took to skin then clean and stretch the hides, it sure wasn't worth it. Times were different then for sure.

Mom cooked a possum when I was a kid. What I remember was it didn't smell good while it was cooking in a pot on the stove.
It turned out we didn't try to eat it and she put it out for the dogs. I also remember the dogs would not eat that cooked possum either.
When I worked in state corrections, a coworker brought an opossum for lunch that he had killed. The odor when he microwaved it was horrible, like microwaving garbage, which makes sense because opossums are scavengers. The smell was so bad I was literally heaving from it.

Back