Ever bought a car sight unseen?

I bought an 01’ Buick LeSabre 4 years ago from Copart for $480 or so after fees and taxes. Turned out somewhat ok. I’d consider it again.

I think this post means-the car wasn't exactly as described/pictured. But he was till able to sell at a small profit. A car being misrepresented on Copart-who would have thought.....

Just once. Knew someone who went to the auctions and bought a 2001 Taurus SEL. Had under 30k at the time and new they were over 20k and I paid about 10k for it 3 years later. Drove it for a dozen years. He bid on it and bought it and I went to pick it up and even gave him a personal check for the car. First time driving it was after I paid for it. Never even test drove one. But I did have one as a rental once a few years ago.

Just once and it turned out to be one of best cars I have ever owned.

2010 Mazda 3 GT sedan w 6MT. Test drove exact same car at dealership in Jacksonville, FL but it was that wonky metallic blue that Mazda was peddling for a little while but it was the only manual trans Grand Touring on their lot. Dealer in Daytona Beach ~80 miles away had a GT in a more acceptable color combo (soul red w/black interior) and they had been sitting on it for about 5 months so it was even cheaper than what the JAX dealer wanted for their car. JAX dealer matched the price and would get the car from Daytona.

Saved ~$1k, ended up with tinted windows that were not apparent in the online photos (this was a + for Florida) and the car ended up being amazing. Had it about 4.5 years and 85k miles - only issue I ever had was a climate control actuator that was handled under warranty.

I did twice, first time I got exactly what I thought I was getting. Did it again a few years later, ended up with a Jeep I would never have bought had I driven it first. The first 6 months of ownership were awful, after that it was a great vehicle.

So I will shop on line for sure but no buying now unless I can see it in person first.

Carvana's model is interesting I might bite on that since you can actually return the vehicle.

The only way I’d do that is if it was a classic car or older car so I know that the computers or something wouldn’t be screwed up in them.

Last two bought sight unseen. A 2018 KIA Sorento EX V6 and a 2020 KIA Soul EX. Wife and I also bought a 2020 KIA Sportage turbo but don't remember if we looked at it before purchasing it or not? Am really enjoying the KIA Soul EX and a fun vehicle to zip around in. It has a 2 liter Atkinson cycle engine with a CVT transmission........ Have had it one year come the 15th of October and the the Sportage Turbo about 15 months now. No issues.

Because we just did.....

with a 100% refundable deposit.

Waiting on engine hours # and my inspection/test drive after it is shipped to local dealer. They have been very transparent thus far.
Not quite sight unseen as you have a 100% refundable deposit if you don't like it after the inspection or test drive.

Bought 3 cars this way. All from hyundai. ‘06 Sonata V6; ‘13 Elantra; and in September I bought a 2021 Tuscon Ultimate. Haven’t regretted any of them.

I did. Four times from eBay. Each time it was a decent deal.

I bought my Wrangler on ebay from California. I had a fellow Jeep guy I knew in the area check it out, but I didn't see it in person until it came off the truck. Definitely will be doing that in the future instead of buying something from the salt belt. I could eat off the frame, and it ended up being less money than all the crooks wanted for Jeeps with failing frames in my area.

IMG-2354.jpg
IMG-2353.jpg

I think this post means-the car wasn't exactly as described/pictured. But he was till able to sell at a small profit. A car being misrepresented on Copart-who would have thought.....
Well, it was really dirty inside. Which was cleanable. Tires were pretty bad (can’t see those from the pics) and the control arm bushings were completely shot. Windshield was broken (couldn’t see from pics). It was described as a running and driving car, which it was. I cleaned it, put some new control arms on it, and a new $100 windshield and sold it for $1,100.

I bought it just to try out Copart and for entertainment, something to do and tinker with it. I made like $200, didn’t really care about the profits.

This is the only picture I can find of it
311BCD91-89BC-4CD2-8D7C-AF9BC63D97C1.jpeg

Well, it was really dirty inside. Which was cleanable. Tires were pretty bad (can’t see those from the pics) and the control arm bushings were completely shot. Windshield was broken (couldn’t see from pics). It was described as a running and driving car, which it was. I cleaned it, put some new control arms on it, and a new $100 windshield and sold it for $1,100.

I bought it just to try out Copart and for entertainment, something to do and tinker with it. I made like $200, didn’t really care about the profits.

This is the only picture I can find of itView attachment 31827
Not a bad looking car. Anyway-you made a little money and provided (a sought for) project. The bottom line is that it sounds that with CoPart the pictures may "leave things out"....

three times on ebay, a 1998 VW golf, 1999 and a 2001 Chevy Prizm. two under $1000 each and the 1999 prizm for 2K. Kept both the prizms for 3+ years, kept the golf for 2 years.

1985 Dodge Lancer Turbo 15 years ago on Ebay. It was an hour away. Winning bid was 180 dollars. I had planned to use some parts for another one I had. It turned out to be very clean and I sourced a junk yard engine for it. Ran great for 6 years. I gave it to a lady I knew who needed a car.

Last two bought sight unseen. A 2018 KIA Sorento EX V6 and a 2020 KIA Soul EX. Wife and I also bought a 2020 KIA Sportage turbo but don't remember if we looked at it before purchasing it or not? Am really enjoying the KIA Soul EX and a fun vehicle to zip around in. It has a 2 liter Atkinson cycle engine with a CVT transmission........ Have had it one year come the 15th of October and the the Sportage Turbo about 15 months now. No issues.

Your a Kia wannabe just like me. My wife and I have had 5 Kia's in 12yrs. 3- Soul's with the latest being 2018 Soul SX(200hp little beast), and my 2020 Stinger GT-Limited bought sight unseen. Other 3 were 2-2010 Soul's bought to replace Grand Prix GTP SuperCharged and F150 with 6.2L when gas was $1.40/L. 2012 Optima Hybrid bought to replace Soul when I got transfered further. Was a sweet deal at $20895CDN for a new car. Couldnt pass it up. The Stinger was bought after 2 weeks of back and forth over emails till i got my price @ $43k plus tx and freight.
Screenshot_20201016-191501_Gallery.jpg

Last edited:
90% of the cars I've sold on Ebay never get checked out by the buyer before hand. Probably over 100 cars so far. I only take a deposit though and they could back out after they come see it or it's delivered, but that hasn't happened yet.

Yes, I bought a great car, sight unseen. I am in Florida and found the car I had been looking for for two years in Portland, Oregon. I flew over, checked it out, gave the guy the money and drove it 3,500 miles home. I did a bit of sight seeing on the way, via San Fransisco,, Santa Cruz, Lake Tahoe, Reno, Salt Lake City, Chicago, Nashville, Asheville, Orlando, and I'm sure a few other spots that I left out.

Back