EV propaganda this is interesting John Deere

And I’m sure on typical Deere fashion, when something relatively insignificant breaks and is an easy fix it will throw a code, lock down the unit and require a Deere tech to come out and fix it all on your dime. Their rigid stance against right to repair is why I’ll never own any Deere product.

^Yeah, it'll be a forever lease.
Turn in your EV tractor for the latest model. Get OTA updates, etc. Brave new world out there! (sometimes for better, sometimes for worse)

I’ll bet they are all learning a lot. I was at Home Depot tonight looking for one of those ready-made lamp cords. Over half the of ZTR mowers out front were 48V electrics. I heard one of my coworkers just bought something like it. I mean to ask him how it’s working for him.

This will be taken care of as new apartments are built. As it stands now-for those who live in apartments or street parking-are the only valid objections that are not silly or will not be solved shortly.

The electric cars are coming BITOGers....

Get me 250 miles of range, a spartan interior and I'm in!

The Chevy Bolt is close ... but not quite there.

Reactions: CKN
This will be taken care of as new apartments are built. As it stands now-for those who live in apartments or street parking-are the only valid objections that are not silly or will not be solved shortly.

The electric cars are coming BITOGers....
Electrics are coming, but there is a difference between saying EVs will become more plentiful in our society over the next 10 years (which I agree with) and saying EVs will completely replace ICE in the near future.

I work at a university that prides itself with being as green as possible and will tell anyone who will listen. Even they are having trouble integrating EVs into their fleet due to infrastructure limitations, and they generate a lot of their own power (75% or so). Talk to any electrical engineer about the differences between charging stations in a parking lot vs. setting them up in apartment complexes or restaurants as part of the building code. Anyone who has built a commercial building in the last 5 years knows all the hoops you need to jump through. Those same politicians saying we will go all EV in X number of years also fail to see all the red tape they created will be the downfall of their plan.

Heck even getting more power for our data center infrastructure project has been a 3 month nightmare, and that is running power from 3 buildings away. I think EVs are great for certain areas, and that we should be promoting charging at work, in store parking lots, etc, I'm just realistic about the timeline expectations. My guess would be over the next 10 years we will see more EVs, but also a lot more ICE hybrids since they make more sense to the average buyer.

Again, tell that to the guys who drive their Teslas across the country. OR-the Mercedes EV sedan I recently mentioned in another thread with a 600 mile range-knowing the demographics on here that range is more than 90% of the bladders out there.
Oh you mean the ones who posted videos of having to wait hours at a charging station while the battery charges, or having to wait for a charging station?

Again, I'm not anti-EV, I just think we aren't being logical about their purpose and evolution. With the current technology, there are things EVs excel at over ICE and vice versa. Only when the EV is superior in every category will it replace ICE, just like horses vs cars.

Oh you mean the ones who posted videos of having to wait hours at a charging station while the battery charges, or having to wait for a charging station?

Again, I'm not anti-EV, I just think we aren't being logical about their purpose and evolution. With the current technology, there are things EVs excel at over ICE and vice versa. Only when the EV is superior in every category will it replace ICE, just like horses vs cars.
EV for daily commuting. Short tripping.
ICE for longer highway drives. Use each one where it's strength lies.

Deere is a ****ty company that wont release parts and updates to owners to keep their stuff fixed.
Hope deere goes out of business.

Again, tell that to the guys who drive their Teslas across the country. OR-the Mercedes EV sedan I recently mentioned in another thread with a 600 mile range-knowing the demographics on here that range is more than 90% of the bladders out there.
I can go pee in 40 seconds. So i need to stop. Can my electric car be full in a few minutes ?? No. And i can find a lot of bathrooms. Charge stations are like 3 percent compared to gas stations.
You want a 2500 mile cross country race ev dude?

Yep, those new-fangled horseless carriages are a fad said the horse lovers. Things change. I was hoping hydrogen-fueled vehicles would be the new thing. Toyota seems to think so. I figure I can charge an EV easily enough with wind and solar and with a two hundred mile range it would work for me. I kind of like my two paid-for ICE vehicles though.
That's all well and good in theory.....as an electrical engineer I can tell you that you will need a LOT of wind and solar to keep just your EV on the road....let alone everyone else's. It's kind of like burning wood to heat your home...which I do in northern Maine. If everyone did it we would need about 5 acres/house to feed everyone's appetite on a renewable cycle.

I guess Tier 4 compliance wasn't enough?
Don't get me wrong, I love technology, but how do you charge these things... in the middle of nowhere?
BTW, most of the tier 4 diesel irrigation water pumps out west are being changed out to propane.
The reason they are ICE in the first place is because of no electricity that is close by.
I manage ag real estate out west.

I can go pee in 40 seconds. So i need to stop. Can my electric car be full in a few minutes ?? No. And i can find a lot of bathrooms. Charge stations are like 3 percent compared to gas stations.
You want a 2500 mile cross country race ev dude?
Gas stations were few and far between when the public started buying the early automobiles-FYI. You do realize your objections will be solved in the future? They are NOT insurmountable by any stretch of an imagination.

Last edited by a moderator:
Gas stations were few and far between when the public started buying the early automobiles-FYI. You do realize your objections will be solved in the future? They are NOT insurmountable by any stretch of an imagination.
Electric vehicles were invented before internal combustion cars were. The electric storage battery was invented in 1803. The electric motor was invented in 1840. The Otto cycle engine was invented in 1876, and the Diesel cycle engine was invented in 1893. So stop the screed about EV's being "new".

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, I guess for some farms that size of tractor is a utility tractor. For field tractors used for tilling, planting and harvest, battery powered tractors don't make sense, there you need to make 200-300-400 HP for 8-10-20 hours at a time often out in the middle of nowhere and the tractor may not get near a plug in for a couple weeks... Liquid fuels make sense for that duty cycle and location...

The electric tractor makes sense for some farms as a utility tractor, which spends lots of time idling, warming up, etc... My dairy farm buddy uses his utility tractor around the barns, and I asked him how many hours he puts on it? Around a 1000 a year which sounded like a lot to me, "you drive it around for 3 hours a day on average?" He then said it spends about half that time idling, warming up, or waiting for the skid steer to fill the manure spreader, or just running bales or wagons in from the fields, and running to the end of the round bale tube to grab some hay, so he's maybe in the seat for a bit over half those hours... There his 100hp tractor uses maybe an average of 30hp or less for all its hours and probably never runs for a full day straight without going back to the farmstead. Probably it would be a bit annoying to have to park it near the charging plug at lunch, but diagnosing tier 4 emissions equipment on a tractor out of warranty can be very annoying too!

Deere is a ****ty company that wont release parts and updates to owners to keep their stuff fixed.
Hope deere goes out of business.
Do you really hope they go out of business?

They make products that we need so that we can eat. They directly employ 70,000 people and indirectly hundreds of thousands. They spend big $$ on innovation. I don't like everything they do, but we need them.

Electric vehicles were invented before internal combustion cars were. The electric storage battery was invented in 1803. The electric motor was invented in 1840. The Otto cycle engine was invented in 1876, and the Diesel cycle engine was invented in 1893. So stop the screed about EV's being "new".
The old electric vehicles-as is the old ICE vehicles have very little in common with what we have today. Many of us are familiar with automotive history. How about the steam powered cars? I think Jay Leno has one.:)

Do you really hope they go out of business?

They make products that we need so that we can eat. They directly employ 70,000 people and indirectly hundreds of thousands. They spend big $$ on innovation. I don't like everything they do, but we need them.
Exactly. While I personally don’t support their anti right to repair stance, I don’t wish for them to go belly up either. Kind of a terrible thing to wish upon the innocent workers who make everything when it’s a bunch of jagoffs in suits making the stupid decision.

Business models like JD has on repair really is their decision. They live with the benefits and consequences of it. Is it the right one.....no.... and that will be reflected in their sales if it keeps up. The competition would take over.

The same Business model applies to other types of equipment, generatos specifically. Cannot even buy parts if you are not a "qualified partner". So I avoid those brands and buy the ones which are open platform.

They loose my business, do they care? No, but if it goes on long enough with a significant portion of their customer base they will.

Actually working on a quote for a commercial diesel generator today. Guess who I didn't even price out?

That's all well and good in theory.....as an electrical engineer I can tell you that you will need a LOT of wind and solar to keep just your EV on the road....let alone everyone else's. It's kind of like burning wood to heat your home...which I do in northern Maine. If everyone did it we would need about 5 acres/house to feed everyone's appetite on a renewable cycle.
I saw the future in Europe many years ago, I think gas was like six bucks a gallon back then and I watched a program where people talked about making gasoline so expensive that people wouldn't use it. I live in an area with lots of wind and mostly bright sunny days. So wind and solar work really well here. Burning wood and using propane also. I bet propane is really pricey for a small tank right now. I want to build a Sandrail/EV and could charge it up for free.

Back