EV propaganda this is interesting John Deere

The old electric vehicles-as is the old ICE vehicles have very little in common with what we have today. Many of us are familiar with automotive history. How about the steam powered cars? I think Jay Leno has one.:)
Steam is not an energy source, it's the working fluid. Steam cars were powered by combustion of carbon compounds.

Once again, the same pattern: EV advocate brags about it being new technology. I reply with a few basic facts about history. EV advocate changes subject.

Steam is not an energy source, it's the working fluid. Steam cars were powered by combustion of carbon compounds.

Once again, the same pattern: EV advocate brags about it being new technology. I reply with a few basic facts about history. EV advocate changes subject.
Steam is an energy source when used to power a vehicle. But this is a nonsensical argument. Nobody is changing the subject. Gasoline is a combustion of Hydrocarbons-is it not?
quote-Commercial gasoline is a mixture of a large number of different hydrocarbons. Gasoline is produced to meet a host of engine performance specifications and many different compositions are possible. Hence, the exact chemical composition of gasoline is undefined. The performance specification also varies with season, requiring more volatile blends ...

Have a nice life!

Steam is an energy source when used to power a vehicle.
No, he's right, it's a transport medium, whatever is producing the steam is the energy source, the steam doesn't produce any energy, it transports it, and does so in a very lossy fashion. Heat energy is used to boil the water, which produces the steam, which spins a turbine or expands a cylinder, and the steam simply condenses back into water after being used for performing that work. This is the same with the medium that powers a turbine at a steam power plant, the input can be coal, oil, gas or fission and 30-40% of the energy used to produce that steam, makes its way out the other end of the generator as functional electrical energy, the rest is released as waste heat.

Direct use of fossil fuels was clearly less complex than using steam, which is why that transition occurred. Same with going from coal fired boilers in locomotives to diesel-electric, which is also less lossy/more efficient. Gas turbines have some advantages over steam turbines in power plants, but the most efficient are combined cycle that leverage both direct combustion and steam heat recovery to drive turbines, which minimizes waste heat loss, which, like with an ICE, is where the majority of the energy ends up going, out as waste heat.

Jay Leno also has a turbine-powered car, I believe it was made by Chrysler.

Petrol and diesel fired engines became dominant because they were more convenient than their battery-operated siblings at the time and had a portable fuel source, an issue that is still present today. That's not a dig at EV's, it's just the reality of the density of hydrocarbons as storage medium, which significantly exceeds that of any battery chemistry. The disadvantage is of course that extracting power from that medium is a consumption-based model that always requires more of the medium, unlike rechargeable storage, which, while slower, is capable of being refreshed with power produced via means other than combustion (nuclear for example).

Reactions: CKN
I can build a steam engine for my car.....

I can make steam with wood, coal, fuel oil/diesel, propane, nuclear, etc.

It is like saying hydraulics are a power source. The prime mover is the power source, hydraulic force is the transmitter of such power, like steam.

I saw the future in Europe many years ago, I think gas was like six bucks a gallon back then and I watched a program where people talked about making gasoline so expensive that people wouldn't use it. I live in an area with lots of wind and mostly bright sunny days. So wind and solar work really well here. Burning wood and using propane also. I bet propane is really pricey for a small tank right now. I want to build a Sandrail/EV and could charge it up for free.
There a plot . Most of us are uninformed what we have in store for us in near the future.

Cant wait to see deer hunting season in crivitz wisconsin with 50 percent electric trucks from minnesota and illinois and wisconsin where 2/3 the cabins have no power at all. Your going to have 500 charge stations in a town that gets busy two months a year ??

The power to run all the cars is a joke. It does not exist and may not for 30 or more years. College students park about two miles from dorms. Thousands of them driving electric cars . Good luck

Cant wait to see deer hunting season in crivitz wisconsin with 50 percent electric trucks from minnesota and illinois and wisconsin where 2/3 the cabins have no power at all. Your going to have 500 charge stations in a town that gets busy two months a year ??

The power to run all the cars is a joke. It does not exist and may not for 30 or more years. College students park about two miles from dorms. Thousands of them driving electric cars . Good luck
Oh, they'll just use wind power, like all of it that's current being delivered in the Southwest Power Pool at the moment, oh, wait...
Screen Shot 2022-07-07 at 2.14.05 PM.jpg

Back