Euro spec 0w20

if any oil specifically meets demanding euro specifications then does the name on the front label really make any difference?

I picked up several jugs of this last year for $10 each. Was on the bottom shelf at AZ. Dusty, hadn't been touched in a year. Has the important certs. I think it is OE fill for several Japanese brands.

View attachment 139568
I picked up some of that Idemitsu 0w20 on CLEARANCE at AZ but it was SN/GF-5. I never saw the SP/ GF-6 on CLEARANCE.

Many have had good luck with VAG 508

I had good luck with Motul 508/509 with a 1/2 lite of M1 0w40FS substituted for good measure

this blend provided a tad more moft and a LOT less engine noise.

This all in a 'spiritedly' driven Jetta 1.4 tsi stick shift

Or ... just this off the shelf at you local audi dealer parts counter:

OLEJ-LONGLIFE-IV-0W20-508-509-SKODA-VW-AUDI-1L.jpg

The Idemitsu was at AZ. Had to look to find it. They had other viscosities also. Coulda Shoulda on them too. I also snagged some Rotella. 0W-40 for $12, Never saw it before. Has gasoline certs. Must have been made by unicorns.

Last edited:
Whoa, thanks for finding and posting this fountain of good information. So much better than just mere honest opinions from so many
who write articles across the internet who tend to steer folks in so many directions with zero to back their words.

Whoa, thanks for finding and posting this fountain of good information. So much better than just mere honest opinions from so many
who write articles across the internet who tend to steer folks in so many directions with zero to back their words.
Here is 0w3 as well

I easily found HPL 0w20 oils but I did not see the one, "Supercar "OVERKILL" 0W-20" when searching thru the HPL pages. Can someone send me the link / title to that page? Maybe I was not looking in the corret pages. Since I pay off cars within the first 12 - 18 months & like to keep cars as long as we can, I may decide the prices of the HPL is worth it to me since I do not plan to make any car note payments for as long as I can keep current vehicles alive. Keep them garaged and so clean I had someone ask about a month ago of the 2009 Honda "is that a new car?" and then "Oh, I see you must have had it repainted?" They get washed and waxed so often they do look freshly painted. Collinite or Meguiars brands are what we use. In addition to OilChangeDelusions I also suffer from OverdoingCarDetailing!
It's the Super Car 0W-20, @High Performance Lubricants put "Overkill" on the labels of the bottles he sent me because I had requested the product, I believe subsequent runs dropped that and it's just the Super Car 0W-20:

It's the Super Car 0W-20, @High Performance Lubricants put "Overkill" on the labels of the bottles he sent me because I had requested the product, I believe subsequent runs dropped that and it's just the Super Car 0W-20:
Dumb question do they have two separate websites?

I type in HPL and I get this https://www.hplubricants.com

Many have had good luck with VAG 508

I had good luck with Motul 508/509 with a 1/2 lite of M1 0w40FS substituted for good measure

this blend provided a tad more moft and a LOT less engine noise.

This all in a 'spiritedly' driven Jetta 1.4 tsi stick shift

Or ... just this off the shelf at you local audi dealer parts counter:

View attachment 140132
Thanks for that one. I've been using Castrol in my GTI.

Any suggestions for a 2018 BMW 530i xDrive? BMW calls for 0w-20 LL-01 FE+. Other than BMW oil, all I've found is Castrol 0w-20 LL-01 FE+ in the single quarts from Walmart @ $8.88 per quart. I see that Castrol has contracted their oil for BMW for the next 5 years. I'd like to get the Pennzoil Ultra Platinum, but it's offered in 5w-30 in the Euro specs, but not the 0w-20 in Euro specs.

Any suggestions for a 2018 BMW 530i xDrive? BMW calls for 0w-20 LL-01 FE+. Other than BMW oil, all I've found is Castrol 0w-20 LL-01 FE+ in the single quarts from Walmart @ $8.88 per quart. I see that Castrol has contracted their oil for BMW for the next 5 years. I'd like to get the Pennzoil Ultra Platinum, but it's offered in 5w-30 in the Euro specs, but not the 0w-20 in Euro specs.
$8.88 qt is hard to beat. What is the dealer oil?

If you want Pennzoil then go for their Euro L 5w30 (BMW LL04, Mercedes Benz 229.51). It's virtually identical to LL17FE+ but with a higher HTHS.

Note: In the US BMW no longer officially recommends oils with a min HTHS of 3.5 due to CAFE. Europe is also moving in that direction as well.

Last edited:
Which one is better Castrol edge with MB 229.71 or ESP X2?
XOM oils have always held the edge over BP. But, Edge EP with the MB approval is available almost everywhere. M1 ESP X2 carrying MB/VW/Porsche and dexosD(for GM’s Duramax 4/6 in the Colorado/Canyon and Silverado/Tahoe/Suburban/Yukon/Escalade) approvals is a unicorn oil.

If it wasn’t **** hard to get, I would be using the ESP X2 for 0W-20 applications over a API SN/SP and D1G2/3 0W-20.

$8.88 qt is hard to beat. What is the dealer oil?

If you want Pennzoil then go for their Euro L 5w30 (BMW LL04, Mercedes Benz 229.51). It's virtually identical to LL17FE+ but with a higher HTHS.

Note: In the US BMW no longer officially recommends oils with a min HTHS of 3.5 due to CAFE. Europe is also moving in that direction as well.
Thank you for your reply. I worked at our BMW dealership for a while and I get good discounts there, but I haven't priced the oil yet. I spoke with Pennzoil and the rep indicated that the Pennzoil Euro L 5w30 is what they recommend. I also spoke with Castrol and they recommended to use Castrol Edge Euro 0w-20 LL-17FE+ Advanced Full Synthetic. I'm leaning towards 5w-30 or 0w-30. I might be able to get bulk Castrol from BMW...I'll ask since Castrol signed a 5-year contract with BMW. The problem with the Castrol is that it's nowhere in my area in the 5-qt container, but only in the single qt., but I can order it from Walmart. At least they'll deliver it to my house and free shipping!

Thank you for your reply. I worked at our BMW dealership for a while and I get good discounts there, but I haven't priced the oil yet. I spoke with Pennzoil and the rep indicated that the Pennzoil Euro L 5w30 is what they recommend. I also spoke with Castrol and they recommended to use Castrol Edge Euro 0w-20 LL-17FE+ Advanced Full Synthetic. I'm leaning towards 5w-30 or 0w-30. I might be able to get bulk Castrol from BMW...I'll ask since Castrol signed a 5-year contract with BMW. The problem with the Castrol is that it's nowhere in my area in the 5-qt container, but only in the single qt., but I can order it from Walmart. At least they'll deliver it to my house and free shipping!
There's also FCP Euro and their store credit policy on returning used oil/filter

Good luck

XOM oils have always held the edge over BP. But, Edge EP with the MB approval is available almost everywhere. M1 ESP X2 carrying MB/VW/Porsche and dexosD(for GM’s Duramax 4/6 in the Colorado/Canyon and Silverado/Tahoe/Suburban/Yukon/Escalade) approvals is a unicorn oil.

If it wasn’t **** hard to get, I would be using the ESP X2 for 0W-20 applications over a API SN/SP and D1G2/3 0W-20.
Facts

Back