Euro spec 0w20

What are some trusted, less marketing heavy 0w20s?

I ask since I'm from a school of thought where clean oil is the best oil, but recently reading alot about how just getting an API approved oil is not enough?

I picked up several jugs of this last year for $10 each. Was on the bottom shelf at AZ. Dusty, hadn't been touched in a year. Has the important certs. I think it is OE fill for several Japanese brands.

idemitsu.jpg

What's your application?

The oil with the best anti wear and cleaning capabilities is made by @High Performance Lubricants without question. They also make a unique 0W-20 with a VW502 additive package, called the Supercar "OVERKILL" 0W-20. There is truly nothing like it.

If you want to buy something off the shelf, then get Mobil 1 EP 0W-20. It cleans pretty decently.

If you want something with a MB229.71 approval that also claims ACEA C5/C6 and can be run in something like a Toyota Supra or Land Rover engine and it doesn't cost an arm and a leg then get Castrol EDGE EP 0W-20.

HPL also makes an MB 229.71 ACEA C5/C6 oil called the 0W-20 Euro.

If you have a varnished up engine and you want to clean it up, then there is no better oil than HPL for the job.

I picked up several jugs of this last year for $10 each. Was on the bottom shelf at AZ. Dusty, hadn't been touched in a year. Has the important certs. I think it is OE fill for several Japanese brands.

View attachment 139568
That's because people go for what they know and think they understand, or their neighbor / friend / mechanic recommends. There is nothing wrong with Idemitsu, it's good stuff.

So you’re asking what’s the best oil?

Hey how did that whole ATF level thing work out? I was wondering what vehicle it was and what year.

What's your application?

The oil with the best anti wear and cleaning capabilities is made by @High Performance Lubricants without question. They also make a unique 0W-20 with a VW502 additive package, called the Supercar "OVERKILL" 0W-20. There is truly nothing like it.

If you want to buy something off the shelf, then get Mobil 1 EP 0W-20. It cleans pretty decently.

If you want something with a MB229.71 approval that also claims ACEA C5/C6 and can be run in something like a Toyota Supra or Land Rover engine and it doesn't cost an arm and a leg then get Castrol EDGE EP 0W-20.

If you have a varnished up engine and you want to clean it up, then there is no better oil than HPL for the job.
No varnish, just trying to maintain the engine with a variable OCI. Sometimes 3k/6 months sometimes 1k/12 months. Not my rides, so i cant effectively put it into a consistent OCI.

HPL has gained some notoriety, but recommending such an expensive oil is basically grounds for an immediate nogo. Mobil 1 EP or Castrol Edge probably would gain some consideration

No varnish, just trying to maintain the engine with a variable OCI. Sometimes 3k/6 months sometimes 1k/12 months. Not my rides, so i cant effectively put it into a consistent OCI.

HPL has gained some notoriety, but recommending such an expensive oil is basically grounds for an immediate nogo. Mobil 1 EP or Castrol Edge probably would gain some consideration

I am really perplexed how recommending an oil that is a sponsor on here as well as a very good oil is a nogo?

You asked, so we replied. You wanted a trusted brand that doesn't focus on marketing. HPL is that brand.

Here you go, the cheapest brand name 0W-20 at this time:

\
I thought that 0w20 doesnt meet euro spec?

I wish HPL could be in the owners budget, but unfortunately its not. Hence the purpose of my question.

What's your application?

I easily found HPL 0w20 oils but I did not see the one, "Supercar "OVERKILL" 0W-20" when searching thru the HPL pages. Can someone send me the link / title to that page? Maybe I was not looking in the corret pages. Since I pay off cars within the first 12 - 18 months & like to keep cars as long as we can, I may decide the prices of the HPL is worth it to me since I do not plan to make any car note payments for as long as I can keep current vehicles alive. Keep them garaged and so clean I had someone ask about a month ago of the 2009 Honda "is that a new car?" and then "Oh, I see you must have had it repainted?" They get washed and waxed so often they do look freshly painted. Collinite or Meguiars brands are what we use. In addition to OilChangeDelusions I also suffer from OverdoingCarDetailing!

Stumbled upon this a while back:

Colin Morton, Regional Business Manager for Europe – Passenger Car Engine Oils, talks about how the MB229.71 specification represents one of the first in a new generation of advanced low viscosity SAE 0W-20 lubricants. These are required to maintain the reliable operation of the latest high-performance engines, hybrid powertrains and advanced aftertreatment systems which automotive OEMs are introducing as they seek to meet evolving European emissions requirements for 2021 and beyond.

MB229.71 engine oils are mandatory to meet the warranted service fill requirements for the latest generation of hybrid powertrains employing Daimler OM654 turbocharged diesel engines and M256 or M264 gasoline engines which come with 48V integrated electrics.

MB229.71 is based on ACEA C5-16 which is the fastest-growing engine oil category in the European lubricants market today. The Mercedes-Benz vehicles requiring this class of lubricant are now approaching their first in-warranty service intervals and this will lead to a rapid increase in demand for these lubricants.

Are they not rated the same? I thought last time I looked them up they both held the same ratings on their web pages? Did something change recently or you making a point with someone I missed a few posts back?
I’m sure there is some kind of difference between the Castrol and Mobil with those same specs. That’s why I am asking edyvw. He will know for sure. I think he was stating that regular edge 0w20 had the MB229.71.

if any oil specifically meets demanding euro specifications then does the name on the front label really make any difference?

Mobil1 IMO.
I tried Castrol Edge 0w20 two oci in a row. I had run Castol in other cars in the past. For some reason I could never make myself stick with it. Probably some foolish thing like "I dont like how black it gets thru an oci or something silly like that." I do remember it made one of the cars engines sound like a noisy played out sewing machine until I switched to something else. Oh yeah, that one I ended up for years after that with Royal Purple 5w20 until I got rid of it with 185,000mi a few years back.
Then I went to (first time ever) Mobil1 0w30EP, then the Mobil1 0w20EP since my locals don't offer the Mobil1 0w20 ESP.
I kind of have settled for now on the Mobil1 0w20EP until I can order some Mobil1 0w20ESP. I may even end up doing a trial run of some HPL for the heck of it at some point.
We put so few miles a year on the cars it takes me forever to get from one oc to the next. Its funny as it feels like I am always looking to do oil changes and then I look and am like "darn it ! still got another 1500mi to go! dang it!!!"

Back