Euro Oils

What are the advantages and disadvantages of euro oils over the normal full synthetics we typically see here is the U.S.? Like you choose valvoline euro synthetic over the valvoline advanced synthetic...
I notice euro oils tend to be high calcium, have good doses of zinc and phosphorus typically, maybe a little boron, and not much else. Why is this? Why do they typically not have much molybdenum?
What are you getting from using euro oils over the regular full synthetic line ups by the major oil brands?
Anything better or worse about these oils? Thanks

Here are a few previous threads to get you started. There are more:

Here are a few previous threads to get you started. There are more:

Thanks for the references. I've browsed one or two, just looking for more info. I'll make sure the read the others.

check out quaker state euro it just came back and at a lower price of $15.96 shipped by walmart. api sp rated so its di safe and simply superior in many aspects of oil performance.

check out quaker state euro it just came back and at a lower price of $15.96 shipped by walmart. api sp rated so its di safe and simply superior in many aspects of oil performance.
I'll check it out. I've been looking around at a lot of the 5w40 euro oils recently. Don't understand the why the add packs are different from the regular synthetics in the way they are.

I'll check it out. I've been looking around at a lot of the 5w40 euro oils recently. Don't understand the why the add packs are different from the regular synthetics in the way they are.
Because most of the Euro Xw40 oils aren't constrained to the API resource conserving limits on phosphorus and they're still full SAPS and comply to the limits of ACEA A3/B3/B4, while the synthetic for American/Japanese vehicles are API Resource conserving and have an add package to meet GM Dexos which limits the ash closer to Euro mid-SAPS specs, the ACEA A3/B4 oils are using add packages that were more similar to American oils used 20-30 years ago.

Because most of the Euro Xw40 oils aren't constrained to the API resource conserving limits on phosphorus and they're still full SAPS and comply to the limits of ACEA A3/B3/B4, while the synthetic for American/Japanese vehicles are API Resource conserving and have an add package to meet GM Dexos which limits the ash closer to Euro mid-SAPS specs, the ACEA A3/B4 oils are using add packages that were more similar to American oils used 20-30 years ago.
That's pretty interesting. I guess it makes sense that they are more similar to older oil formulations with the high phosphorus and zinc...

Not that long ago, there was a big difference between API (American) and ACEA (Euro) oils, eg the API Noack limit was 15% while the ACEA Noack limit was better at 13%. Also ACEA had other tests, like shear stability, that API didn't have.

Now days, with American OEM specs like Dexos on almost every API oil, the difference is much reduced. The Dexos Noack limit volatility is also 13% for example.

In another thread, according to the oil formulator Joe, when I asked him to compare a 5W30 A3/B4 (Euro) oil to a 5W30 Dexos1-Gen2 oil he said:

5W30 full synthetic A3/B4 vs dexos1-Gen 2? For me, the A3/B4 oil wins BUT these two are so close, there's not a lot to differentiate them. I'd opt for the A3/B4 oil because it HASN'T been put through the US fuel economy tests. I don't like these tests because as often as not, they 'encourage' formulators to drop the oil's CCS viscosity to silly levels to cheat the test. Lower CCS means more VII & higher Noack. The A3/B4 oil might also have a higher ZDDP content (but not guaranteed) & a higher TBN.

Last edited:
BTW the unicorn to get, is an oil that carries both Dexos1-Gen2 And ACEA A5/B5. There are a few out there like M1 or PP 5W30.

Or a Euro A3/B4 oil that also carries API SP, a few out there like PP Euro 5W40. I'm sure more will follow given time.

That clears some things up for me, thank you

Back