eTork adjustment.

I recently acquired an "eTork Clearview" torque wrench. So far I like it a lot. Being a calibration tech retiree, I was curious as to how to adjust it (not obvious). I inquired at eTork and this is the way to adjust their "Clearview" wrenches.

To be accurate, you would need to have a way to verify the current torque and test after subsequent changes. The wrench will need to be tested up to 250 ft lbs which is not easy to do without the proper equipment.

1. Set the wrench to 250 ft lbs and click it 3 times in the clockwise direction. This will exercise all internal components of the wrench before testing/calibrating. Notice the last reading and verify that it is within 3% of tolerance. With this particular wrench, that would be in the range of 242.5-257.5. If your wrench falls into this range, you can calibrate without making a pawl change which would include disassembling the wrench and replacing the pawl.

2. The next step would be to test the wrench at the lowest setting (50 ft lbs). At this setting, the accepted tolerance of 3% should be within 48.5-51.5. If this is the case, you have successfully verified calibration. You can also check the tolerance at 150 ft lbs, but if the top and bottom are in calibration, the middle of the range is most likely correct as well.

3. If the low end test (50 ft lbs) is out of tolerance, minor adjustments can be made. Verify that the wrench is set to 50 ft lbs. Confirm that the locking knob is in the locked position. The calibration process is performed with the wrench in the locked position. You will now need to remove the locking knob by turning it counter-clockwise. I use a strap wrench as to not damage the locking knob. You can use pliers or even your hand if you are strong enough.

4. Once the locking knob has been removed, you will need a 4 mm hex wrench to remove the hex nut and ball bearing in the end of the handle.

5. After the hex nut and ball bearing have been removed, you will use the 4 mm hex wrench to make adjustments in the end of the handle. Turning clockwise will increase tension and counter-clockwise will release tension. I would start with very minor changes and test as you go. Once you have adjusted the 50 ft lbs setting to within tolerance, you are all set.

6. Re-assemble by replacing the ball bearing and 4 mm hex nut. Hand tighten the 4 mm hex nut. Replace the locking knob and tighten.

I hope this help and please let me know if you have any questions.

As an FYI, we also offer calibration of our wrenches. Our cost is $25 which includes me shipping the wrench back to you. We do not make any money on this service. We really do it as a service to support our customers. I'm not trying to sell you on it, just wanted to make you aware.

Back