Ethanol vs fuel lines

I am finding that, with the new ethanol-rich fuels, fuel lines on my small gas-engine equipment lasts about 6 months. They actually discintigrate and fowl up the carb before breaking up. What is the best product in an alcohol-resistant fuel line?

After a relatively new (few months old) Stihl string trimmer had the same problem, I solved it the other way - ethanol free fuel. Been doing that for a decade, now.

I’ve gone electric for most of my OPE, but that’s out of convenience.

I use tru-fuel premix for my chainsaw, my last gasoline powered tool.

Define "ethanol-rich." You shouldn't use more than E10 in most small engines.
Been using E10 here for more than 10 years without any fuel line issues. It's all that you can get, there is no E0 available in MA.

Funny thing, my trimmer using Tru-Fuel had the fuel line rot out last year after almost 10 years of service.

Define "ethanol-rich." You shouldn't use more than E10 in most small engines.
Been using E10 here for more than 10 years without any fuel line issues. It's all that you can get, there is no E0 available in MA.

Funny thing, my trimmer using Tru-Fuel had the fuel line rot out last year after almost 10 years of service.
In Canada, there are no "ratings" as such.

I am finding that, with the new ethanol-rich fuels, fuel lines on my small gas-engine equipment lasts about 6 months. They actually discintigrate and fowl up the carb before breaking up. What is the best product in an alcohol-resistant fuel line?
6 months is crazy. Here in southeastern Wisconsin oxygenated fuel has been mandated since the 1990s and none of my OPE has failing fuel hoses anywhere near that. Even my 32 year-old lawn mower has had the hose replaced only once and that’s it. My 21 year-old snow thrower still has original hoses as does my equally old lawn tractor. You must be getting some super crummy lines for them to fail in 6 months.

Are you saying for the fuel in Canada it might have more than 10% EtOH and you wouldn’t know at the pump?
I believe any gas in Canada can have up to 10% max unless it’s labeled e85. Usually there will be a sticker somewhere on the pump saying “this fuel has up to 10 percent ethanol content.“

Most OPE made within the last 30 years will have fuel lines that can handle ethanol But even so the ethanol certainly doesn’t help the life of your fuel lines. You can still buy Chinese equipment brand new online that will come with fuel lines that aren’t compatible. They disintegrate in a matter of months if not weeks.

Most OPE made within the last 30 years will have fuel lines that can handle ethanol But even so the ethanol certainly doesn’t help the life of your fuel lines. You can still buy Chinese equipment brand new online that will come with fuel lines that aren’t compatible. They disintegrate in a matter of months if not weeks.
I can’t imagine they do a whole lot better with E0. There’s a lot of other stuff in any gasoline besides alkanes.

If the OP was using E85 would that be harder on fuel lines than E10 and would it even run right? I only ask because it sounds like he's not sure what he is using.

I believe any gas in Canada can have up to 10% max unless it’s labeled e85. Usually there will be a sticker somewhere on the pump saying “this fuel has up to 10 percent ethanol content.“
So that is what E10 means. Yes, you are correct.

In NY, the only gasoline that is sold has 10% ethanol for the past twenty years or so. No pure gasoline what so ever. Maybe just luck, or maybe it is not an issue on small engines. But over most of this period I lived in NY and all of my small engines used the only gasoline (E10) that was for sale. Never had a problem with fuel lines or varnish in the carbs. Nothing special done regarding maintenance but all of those small engines almost always started on the first or second pull.

In NY, the only gasoline that is sold has 10% ethanol for the past twenty years or so. No pure gasoline what so ever. Maybe just luck, or maybe it is not an issue on small engines. But over most of this period I lived in NY and all of my small engines used the only gasoline (E10) that was for sale. Never had a problem with fuel lines or varnish in the carbs. Nothing special done regarding maintenance but all of those small engines almost always started on the first or second pull.

Doesn't look like NYC has it but the rest of the state has a ton of locations. STEWART'S SHOPS seems to be a popular one.

https://www.pure-gas.org/

In my experience, it's not the ethanol content, it's cheaply made fuel lines and fuel systems bits.

The rubbers and plastics on chinese OPE parts are horrendous. The metal parts are fine.

6 months is crazy. Here in southeastern Wisconsin oxygenated fuel has been mandated since the 1990s and none of my OPE has failing fuel hoses anywhere near that. Even my 32 year-old lawn mower has had the hose replaced only once and that’s it. My 21 year-old snow thrower still has original hoses as does my equally old lawn tractor. You must be getting some super crummy lines for them to fail in 6 months.
For the small lines on a weedwacker, I am using Chinese Tygon lines. These are powder in 6 months.

In my experience, it's not the ethanol content, it's cheaply made fuel lines and fuel systems bits.

The rubbers and plastics on chinese OPE parts are horrendous. The metal parts are fine.
No, in this case it's the fuel. Same rollof tubing was fine a few years ago. Now, GONE in a few months.

Back