Ethanol vs fuel lines

Chinese tubing can easily be garbage, however E10 does not usually affect any decent fuel line. I sometimes use viton tubing which stands up to almost everything but is expensive.

Odd, iv seen mowers with teflon fuel lines run e10 and those have been in service for years and have not rotted out

One would think with the ubiquity of ethanol that gas lines would have been updated long ago to take into account for degradation.

I have no issues with 93 E10 even with stabilizer. I always get fresh every three months. Honda 160 which is 14 years old and my Sthil combi which is 8 years old. The Sthil uses Amsoil saber at 80-90:1.

I'm lucky I live in a state that still sells real gas, I hate ethanol, if me & the wife pull up to a pump that has both ethanol & non-ethanol gas going through the same line I find a different place to get gas, I don't feel at all comfy running knock off through my car or my lawn mower, I don't judge anyone that uses it, I just want my engines to last, so I don't use generic when the real version is available.

Nothing really wrong with e10, my echo trimmer is over 10 years old and still on original fuel lines, although I think it’s probably time to change them. Will do it with Echo lines of course, no reason to mess with cheap stuff when their lines have more than proven themselves to me.

Tank lines in my bought new Husky 455 Rancher rotted away in 3 yrs. on E10. Replaced with Tygon and on E0 no issues in 10 yrs. now.
Saw gets light use, may sit for a year or two but with stabilized E0 it cranks right up. When I need my big saw, I really need it like for a big blow down. Zero issues with E0 in my OPE. I have to drive 30 min. into upstate NY to get it but not to having to screw around with fuel related issues it's worth it IMO. I keep 10 -15 gal. on hand for the generator anyway to be prepared and E0 has not let me down.
Winter blend vs summer blend I do get a little surging in my BS powered JD L100 mower with using up the remaining winter blend in hot weather though.

After a relatively new (few months old) Stihl string trimmer had the same problem, I solved it the other way - ethanol free fuel. Been doing that for a decade, now.

I’ve gone electric for most of my OPE, but that’s out of convenience.

I use tru-fuel premix for my chainsaw, my last gasoline powered tool.
You get more octane with VP fuels vs TruFuel. VP fuels is 94 octane. True Fuel is 92. Throttle response is so good it's sick.

Last edited:
Still the original fuel lines on my 2013 Troy-Bilt riding mower, run on E10 gas for the last 5 years (dunno what it was used with before, I bought it used), and I leave it with E10 gas in it all winter.

And it starts up just fine every spring.

That's pretty good. I wonder whose fuel line Troy-Bilt put on the mower. That would be the stuff to get.

I will look at it when I get a chance and if I can tell I will put that info here.

EDIT: But if you can use 1/4" ID fuel line, any that you get at an auto parts store for automotive use WILL be E10 resistant. Your choice there would be fuel/emissions hose, which is intended for low pressure carburetor applications, or fuel injection hose, which is intended for high pressure fuel injection applications. The fuel injection hose is about twice the price.

Last edited:
Back